Topic

CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

> He was able to adjust the sleeves where the poles insert so they no longer slip out while setting up.

Just FYI, the CB3 pole sleeve straps are now manufactured that way with the strap coming off the pole pocket about 1/2" up from the bottom. That prevents slip (and is how we do it on the Moment DW and Rainbow/Double Rainbow as well). There are also elastic loops at each of the 4 interior corners for lifting the canopy edge up to the adjacent interior clip and holding it there for sidewall ventilation and views.

-H

Dave T

@davet

More great work from Henry Shires.

Nice!

Sara Marchetti
    BPL Member

@smarchet

I would love to hear more comparisons to the Rainshadow 2 (which I now own). The big tradeoff I see is the footprint vs. headroom. The RS2 with a slightly bigger footprint and the CB3 with more consistent headroom (along the length). After that, it is convenient entry (CB3 with double entries) and weight (RS2 coming in a bit lighter). Any other thoughts. I'm wondering if there are enough benefits that would warrant an upgrade.

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

Thanks Henry…

I didnt notice the elastic loops to hold up the sidewalls, so I guess i have another excuse to go set it up in the yard!

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand

>I would love to hear more comparisons to the Rainshadow 2

I've been thinking the same things, since I also have a RS2. Differences that appeal to me:
    – more and better pegging options – the RS2 suffers from only a single peg at the back, which can get a lot of strain when trying to get a taut pitch.
    – even without the third pole it looks more wind stable than the RS2.
    – looks like it has better options for hanging lights/clothes from the roof, this is something I miss in the RS2.
    – entry ways are not blocked by hiking poles, and there are 2
    – two vestibules, rather than one (the rear mesh of the RS2 cannot be unzipped)

Tempting!

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

Ive had the RS2 and now the CB3. Id definitely get the CB3, especially if you don't use trekking poles.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Just another plug from a satisfied user.
    5 day stay in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area with the CB3.
    Hot August weather with lots of bugs–stayed reasonably cool with good ventilation with the vestibules rolled back all the way.
    One night of heavy rain–stayed completely dry (did seam seal before trip)
    One night of heavy wind (a couple large branches came down but luckily not on the tent)–held fast and strong. No issues. End into wind and optional third pole was used.

Thanks Henry for a great tent. Far lighter and smaller volume than the Hilleberg Kaitum! Quick stetup to boot.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Just got my CB3 and it looks awesome although only set it up indoors so far. Had no problems with poles slipping out or whatever.

But I still can't figure out how to keep the walls slid up the poles. I can see the elastic loop in the 4 corners but the nearest clip is too far away to clip in to. Edit: OK figured it out after talking to Henry! You have to fully unthread the outer corner tensioning straps in order for the sides to be able to slide up far enough to attach the inner elastic loops to the interior clip that you can sort of see below:
    cb3 interior corner clip

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools