Topic

CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

My CB3 arrived early this week and I've just now had a chance to pitch it. The following thoughts are initial impressions on the tent as I have not spent the night out in it yet. The CB3 is listed as a 3 person shelter, which it will fit, but I have a feeling this will be a popular 2+ shelter.

The CB3 comes with two poles that thread through the sleeve and nest into the webbing, just like the DR arch pole. Once the poles are in, all it takes is 4 stakes to get a tight, clean pitch. Setting up is quick and easy with one person, and I'm guessing it could be done under a minute with two people if they tried.

I wish I could comment on how the CB3 handles wind, but I've not had it in wind. However, the large panels pitch well and there is no sagging anywhere. Obviously this will do best with an end to the wind.

You can have the doors closed, half open, or completely open. The vestibules are a very nice size. The sewn-in floor can be tensioned out to it's fullest by some shockcord on each corner, or left loose. On the interior, there is some noseeum netting attached to the bathtub floor which can be hooked up to create a tidy bathtub as well as adding a bit of protection to keep your sleeping bag from touching the sides. Or you can relax the bathtub for a bit more floorspace. The mesh doors are very big and easy to open, and everything has a cord or velcro to nicely keep it out of your way. I would like to see ALL velcro disappear from tents that have any sort of mesh. Even with the CB3, there is the possibility of the velcro coming into contact with the mesh when you stuff it in the stuffsack.

One thing I like is that you never have to restake anything. Every door configuration you can think of (besides adding more guy lines) utilizes the 4 stakes. Once your stakes are in, they can stay in. The CB3 has some extra guyout points on the doors and one on each side panel for extra stability in wind if needed. I can imagine that with the 3rd pole, this could be a very wind-worthy shelter.

The interior is VERY roomy for two. You can easily have six adults sitting straight up and cross-legged with all the doors closed. There's TONS of headroom. The length is a bit short, 80" as spec'd, but because both ends are mesh, you will not get any condensation on your bag.

The CB3 lacks a proper "porch" like the DR, but because of how much room there is in the shelter, you don't need a porch that extends. The vents have been improved. Instead of that plastic bit in the previous shelters that keeps the vent lip stiff (and always got deformed), there is now just a firm piece of material that keeps the shape better.

The footprint is large, but not as big as you'd think. One nice thing is that with the standard pitch, you don't have long guy lines to trip over. The side walls are supposed to be able to be raised up for ventilation, but I'm not sure how to do that. You can loosen the tensioner at each corner to allow that to happen, but the sides simply fall back down.

Weight in stuff sack without stakes and without seam sealing came to 46 ounces. When packed in its stuff sack, it is much larger than my DR. However, because there is no strut or cross bar in this shelter, it is much easier to pack the poles and body separate. If you do that, the CB3 will fit into a stuff sack about 2/3 the size of what it comes with. Overall, it's a bit bulkier and heavier than my DR, but the interior space appears to easily negate that (plus, it's technically a 3 person shelter). If you don't mind a few extra ounces and crave space, take a serious look at the CB3. I think it is a very good value at $319.

I was in a hurry and had to borrow my parent's lawn, so I didn't do the greatest job of showing detail and size perspective, but hopefully these pictures help a bit.

t789

r6ui

tyuk

yuo

tou

Patio chair for scale reference.
    serhy

Dad for scale reference.
    asdf

Here I was sitting upright against one wall with my feet stretched out. I'm 5'11". What you see is the distance between my feet and the opposite wall.
    dtryuj

This is where the optional 3rd pole feeds through the mesh.
    wert

Spiderman likes it, too.
    awer

tyi

67t8o

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Must not buy new tent.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Remember Stephen, this one comes out of the "household" budget.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Very nice write-up and set of photos, Travis. The dimensions are almost identical to the Hilleberg Kaitum 3 – which is a palace for two and manageable for three – with the exception of the vestibules which are each about 18" shorter. For three season use I can see the shorter footprint of the CB3 being helpful with site selection. And being 1/2 the weight doesn't hurt either.

How many extra guy-out points are there on the CB3 – I think I see one midpanel on either side, any more beyond those? Did you order the third pole? Any word on the availability of the detachable liner to make it a double wall tent?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Hi Stuart,
    No word on the liner. I didn't order the third pole because a long time ago I ordered an extra DR pole. All I have to do is cut it to size.

As far as tieout points go, I'll try to answer from memory. There's one on each side, and two more with attached linelocs on each end, halfway up the door. There's also one at the apex of each pole. Provided you have a stake that can fit through the grommet used for securing the middle pole, you can stake it there as well.

If you really wanted to take it to the extreme, you could disassemble the 3-into-1 guyout system on each end and end up with 9 separate guyout points on each end.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Very true Travis.

I would definitley buy the tent if it had a seperate inner.

It does look really good

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

The important part: Does the dog fit inside?

It looks a lot roomier than the Rainshadow!

Thanks for the preview!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Hi Mary,
    Yes, the dog fits! In fact, you could probably invite a pack of dogs inside to help keep you warm during those long winter nights. :)

I've not seen a Rainshadow in person, but what is really nice about this tent is each person (when used with two people) gets an entire side and vestibule to themselves. Initially, it looks like the large, wide end vestibules will be nicer to use than side vestibules such as in the DR. You'll be able to stack your sleeping pads and move them to one side, allowing for ample living and seating space, along with unhindered ingress and egress.

I still think the DR is a fabulous shelter, and I can't speak for real world comparison yet, but I've a feeling this will replace our beloved DR.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Stephen, when you say "had a separate inner," do you mean a clip in liner like the one offered on the DR, or a complete mesh inner now found on the Moment DW?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

A complete mesh inner would be nice, :-)

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Travis, you scoundrel! How did you order a CB3?!? I've been watching the TT site like a hawk and its still not listed for sale! Must have some super secret pull…

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Well, I hope I didn't jump the gun on anything. I wasn't asked to keep it on the down-low.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Uh oh. The encapsil belay parka scandal all over again!

Maybe H will give you your money back to be quiet. Lol

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Yeah Travis! How'd you get one! I haven't even seen Franco playing with one yet! Not fair…..

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

I AM Franco!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Hmmmm. Come to think of it I've never seen Travis and Franco in the same room….

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Trust your feelings, Doug.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

But seriously Travis….

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Me? Serious? :)

BER, I sent you a PM… Basically I got in on a trial run.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Don't make me come down there. You're only 120 miles away… :)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Ha! I frequent the Nicolet-Chequemagon, and will be rafting the Peshtigo in two weeks.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"BER, I sent you a PM… Basically I got in on a trial run."

As did I. Got it today. Gonna set it up tomorrow. Gonna sell it next Tuesday.

Kidding about the selling bit…..

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just have one question, is spiderman on a new diet, cause he seems a bit smaller than usual?

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Ah, sent out to the special few. Guess that explains the delay in listing them on the TT site.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Remember Justin, the big screen adds a few pounds. What you see is an accurate portrayal. You think Godzilla was really that big? Here he is in real life.

Gj

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools