Topic

Joshua Tree CRHT Run

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Joshua Tree CRHT Run

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 101 through 121 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

quick question? can we drop more than just water? I was thinking about cutting my "food" in half and stashing half w/ the water

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Unless it's in a sealed, lidded bucket, I wouldn't leave food. I've had mice chew the labels off of water bottles…

I have no idea if it's warranted, but I've always felt stashes should be kept as low profile as possible. I honestly don't know how the park management feels about them or how much we can get away with. I wonder if it's better to not ask…
    I've always kept my stashes small and fairly well hidden off trail for this reason. Maybe I worry too much about it…?

I was considering seeing if I could befriend some campers in Ryan campground (the CRHT goes right by the backside of the camp) and ask if we could leave stuff at the edge of their site until the afternoon on Saturday…this way, no worries about anyone messing with it. Figured I could look into this on Friday.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

sounds good, I'll just plan on carrying it- not an overly big weight savings :)

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

I agree the drop should be small and inconspicuous, probably water only.
    the small weight of the food you would stash for 5-6 more hours of running is not worth the chance it won't be there. I never stash clothes, no where no how (well unless its an official race).

Regarding whether to have the drop at Ryan Campground or at the Keys Rd crossing, does the trail go right by the edge of the campground ? I think the drop location depends on what we feel is most convenient, both in doing the drop, getting the stuff mid run, and cleaning up our mess afterwards.

Also regarding setting up the drop on Friday or on the drive Saturday morning, we need to make sure everyone knows exactly where the drop is, in case we don't all run together.

Friday Arrival
    John and I will get to the campground between 3:30-5:00 on Friday.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Hey all.

I'm just getting recovered from a rough extended weekend up in the Sierras. Just made my checklist for J Tree… lots to do before Friday including a brake job on my truck. I probably should have skipped that snowshoe last weekend…

Re: Start time, water drop, etc… sounds fine with me.

Sandra may meet me/us at the drop point so she can probably help with taking out our trash and what not. We can figure it out on Friday. I also have a stainless steel mesh critter proof bag which anyone can utilize if they wanted/needed; I will bring it, we can discuss.

We're aiming to make it to the campground around 4:00-5:00 on Friday.

Is anyone still in need of any camping gear?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

would it be worthwhile getting a phone list (email list) to Craig? we did that for the R2R2R trip and it was nice to have several numbers just in case

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Send me numbers if we want a phone list.

Regarding water stash/drop…I like the Ryan Campground idea simply because I remember trash cans there. The trail literally goes right next to them at one point. At the Keys View intersection, I don't believe there are trash containers- meaning you need to pack out any empties from your water refill.
    Again, I'll check out Ryan on Friday as we show Mike around the park.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

number sent :)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'll copy some maps for people but all I can do is B/W.
    It'll take three 8.5×11 pages to cover the entire route; I can do this at work and note the main junctions to look for on each copy.

I have also made a CRHT 2013 tile for the occasion but got swamped at work and couldn't get them fired in time. I'll bring the unfired sample and mold. If anyone's interested I can fire them up later and mail them out if you pay shipping costs.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Craig, thanks again on the map. I'm headed to REI today to pick a couple things up. I'm going to see if I can find one there, if I do I'll let you know.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Craig – I already have a map, bought the Tom Harrison one at REI.
    you don't need to make one for John either,
    thanks for the tile work, I'm sure its great.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Craig- I've got a map already as well- thanks

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Mike – is your buddy from Hammer products coming ?

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Craig, I managed to round up a map. Thanks.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Art- I don't believe so as I haven't heard anything (maybe he's just going to show up????)

Mike

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

No wonder my "watch this thread" hasnt been working…my membership had expired! Gasp! I wonder how many ounces my gear list put on in the weeks since it expired! Thank god I dont have a scale, let's just pretend this never happened.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Back on topic…kind of.

My favorite part of this whole process is being unsure of the outcome. No mattter how much I ran this past few months, no matter how much thought I put into my kit, no matter how many times I've been out there before…The work is still hard enough, the miles long enough, the sun hot enough, the desert real enough…that I cannot be sure what the day will bring. Only that I will be completely present in the experience. Good stuff.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

was wondering where you'd been :)

I agree totally; not knowing exactly what to expect or the outcome clearly adds to the good stuff factor! It will be nice knowing that snow won't factor into this run though (probably jinxed us now)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

"…Only that I will be completely present in the experience. Good stuff."

Given my "training" for this one, I'm definitely going to be present in the experience. Very, very present.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Craig – if you just carry a surf board you'll be fine.

Mike – I have seen snow in Josh in February, so we're not that far out of the woods on that one.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Being "the rookie" I expect to be all too present. This may be a bit much a bit too soon, but it's all about growing. This is going to be my transcendent moment like the English dood in 'A Man Called Horse' strung up in the sweat lodge. Either that or it'll be my destruction. Anyway, sounds like a good time.

p.s. Welcome back, Adan. I see you got your "F" for FUN Member :)

Viewing 21 posts - 101 through 121 (of 121 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools