Topic

Joshua Tree CRHT Run

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Joshua Tree CRHT Run

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

What: A single day (not overnight) crossing of the California Riding and Hiking Trail in Joshua Tree National Monument. Roughly 38 miles (according to trail markers).

When: Late February?
    Option A: Car camp at Black Rock Campground on a Friday night, run Saturday, shuttle back, spend the night, and leave Sunday.
    Option B (more adventurous): Same as option A but…doing it as a night run with a full moon has always been high on my to-do list. We could start just before sundown and run until…
    February 2013 full moon is on Monday, Feb. 25th. Saturday the 23rd moonrise is at 4:02PM at 97.2% illuminated. Barring clouds, it would be BRIGHT out there.
    ***Date is totally negotiable. But I'll likely need at least a month and a half from now to get my legs back.

I'm obviously in favor of the moonlight traverse.

Who: Anyone that understands the nature of running self-supported* across nearly 40 miles of desert trail (possibly at night). High temps for Feb are ~65, lows are ~37.
    *There are ways to stash water on the route.

Oh, and PRIZES!!!!
    Who doesn't like PRIZES?!
    I'll likely do up a commemorative batch of beer mugs, ramen bowls, or gigantic neck medallions.

If I don't hear from any interested parties within a week or two, I'm just going to plan on a solo Feb. 23rd moonlight run and go from there…

So who's game?

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

hmmmm, how old is this thread ? J Tree is a National Park now :-)

been to Josh over 600,000 times, but its been a few years and most of them were climbing trips.
    would be nice to see the place again.

haven't done much hiking running in the Park.
    where does the trail begin ? Blackrock CG ?
    end ?????

I could probably get one or two others to tag along.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Oops…I forget it's a park now. I'm remembering the old days…

The CRHT runs from Black Rock Campground to the North Entrance station near 29 Palms. It can be done either direction with a shuttle and water can be stashed at the halfway point near Ryan Campground. It makes sense to camp at Black Rock as you can reserve sites there from home…

It runs through some good park scenery…I like the Covington Flats area of the beginning quite a bit.

What do think of a night run with a bright moon Art?

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

First off, looks like you started 2 threads for this topic.
    Maybe consolidate and cancel one before we get any further down the road.

Night run
    not opposed to it, and my buddy John is up for anything unusual.
    but I do love the desert vistas … I suppose with a full moon there is still a lot to see.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'm guessing that people new to the trail or area will want to do it by day for the views…which is fine by me.

How does Saturday, Feb. 23rd sound for the run?

I'll go consolidate that other thread now…

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Craig- count me as a definite maybe :) Looks like I could fly into Phoenix and then a 4 hr drive, we have an airline that has cheap rates to Phoenix (but only flies a couple of times a week).

As I've never been there, day would be preferable- although a night run sounds neat as well.

Mike

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

talked to John and he's in too,

so better start that training Craig.

my one concern with a night run is just how well marked that CRHT is. desert trails are sometimes less obvious in places.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I think we should go for it as a day run at this point. I've done 50% of it at night and it wasn't bad, but it will certainly complicate things and likely just kill the view for most people doing it. I really only want to do it at night because I've been through it in the day already.

Training…hmmm…
    Let's just say I'm simply out to finish.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

finish is our only goal too, but you want to be able to sit up at the end, hold that beer up high.

do you know of a trail map, want to check if the trail goes by any of my old climbing spots.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

just found out that JT is closer to Las Vegas than Phoenix, rates are a little cheaper to Vegas :)

Art found this map, probably better ones

Photobucket

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

The CRHT swings wide of most of the established climbing areas, staying mostly in more of the backcountry. I use a Nat. Geo. topo for Joshua Tree; theirs has pretty good detail.

Mike, look into whether or not you can get a flight into Palm Springs. If so, you could likely be picked up and avoid dealing with car rentals/driving.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

All the major airlines go into Palm Springs — cost is usually minimal. And if you are really ambitious just hike from the airport to Long Canyon in Desert Hot Springs to the campground. Probably around 24 miles.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

You should come out and have a beer/dinner with us Nick.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"You should come out and have a beer/dinner with us Nick."

You think I can't run with you young bucks?

… well you're right! Maybe I'll take my camper up there and make it a weekend with my better half.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Craig, I was quite stoked by the adventure that you and the others embarked on across the Grand Canyon and back – inspired enough to get me out running on roads, trails, whatever… which traditionally I've sorta despised. Strangely, now I sort of bask in the experience.

My hopes are that one of you guys (you know who you are) will be thinking about putting a long run/hike like this together around fall of 2013 when I'll be better prepared.

I'm *probably going to sit this one out, but just out of curiosity…. has anyone found/looked at an elevation profile?

And, how many hours are you out there start to finish on this (ballpark)?

– Jacob.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

haven't seen an elevation profile, but this link describes the trail pretty well (w/ elevation gain/loss)

from what I've read the majority of the trail is runnable, I'd think anywhere from 8-12 hours would be in the ballpark

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Mike, is the link you were going to post?

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/410883

Doesn't sound too bad at all from that description.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

would be nice if I actually posted a link! :)

here's the one I was looking at

http://www.protrails.com/trails/view/348

that's a useful link you provided

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

thanks for the good links describing the route.

it does not seem like a difficult route, except for some staying awake so as not to get lost.

for me personally, I'd say somewhere from 8.5 – 10.5 hrs, leaning toward the slow side because we may have to carry extra water, and of course I'd like to take in the scenary a bit too.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Coming from the R2R2R and the likes, it's certainly not a hard route. Rolling and flat terrain with only one small climb to really speak of.

Does Saturday, February 23rd sound like a good day for the run? I'd like to finalize the date soon for training purposes and to reserve a campsite for Friday and Saturday night.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Feb 23 is perfect for me and John.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'm going to go ahead and try to book a site at Black Rock for Feb. 22nd and 23rd then. I believe each site can have 2 cars and 8 people so everyone that has expressed interest so far will be covered.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Hey everyone…
    How would you all feel about the following weekend instead, running on Saturday, March 2nd? I'd then reserve a site for Friday the 1st and Sat. the 2nd.

We have another runner that can't make the 23rd but could do the 2nd.

Let me know so I can finalize (again).
    Thanks.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Craig

March 2 is ok with me but no later than that.
    need to talk to John.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Craig- I'm still a maybe, but no conflicts w/ either set of dates

Mike

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 121 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools