Topic

Joshua Tree CRHT Run

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Joshua Tree CRHT Run

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Great, thanks for understanding guys.
    Talk to John and let me know. If he's good I'll book the campsite ASAP.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Craig- is Adan coming by chance? Do you have any other folks that are coming? I wonder if Brian has seen the thread?

Mike

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I wanted to change from Feb. to March so Adan could make it; I didn't know the 23rd is one of his daughter's birthdays. I haven't run with him in a while so it'll be good to train together some for this.

Don't know about Brian; we should message him.

Hope you can make it out Mike. I know it's a long way and it'll be a pretty low key gathering/run, but I think it'll be a good time. And warmer and sunnier than Montana.

Cory McArtor

@like2bsailing

Idk if I'll be in town but if I'm around that weekend I might jump in depending on how much I can get in shape between now and then. If not I'll probably organize another run of it in the fall (I'll be traveling a lot this summer). I have the advantage of living 5 minutes from the park.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

I wasnt even sure i could post on here anymore after some of the developments lately.

Mike, I will be there for sure if its Mar 2nd. I hope to see you there buddy, had a great time sharing the trail with you on the last one. I hope to be injury free this time. Lots of time off the last several months, but running has been feeling real good lately. I too will be looking to just finish this one, really excited about it though.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Adan- good deal! I'm going to try like heck to make it :) I'll drop Brian a line

Mike

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

John is ok with moving the date to March 2.
    lets try and keep the date within the 2 weekends discussed if possible.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Thanks for being flexible everyone…Had to get ol' Adan in on this one.

Let's make it March 2nd then. I'll reserve the site within a day or two. I think one site should cover us; I doubt more than 8 will show at this point. If so, I guess the stragglers can arrange a site.

brian blair

@donkey

Locale: Silverado Canyon

I'll be in Alaska on both of the proposed weekends!

This is a route I'd really like to do…..if for some reason it gets bumped fore/aft of those 2 weekends I'd be all over it.

Thanks for thinking of me!

BB

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Bumping it to March makes the proposition better for me. I'll say maybe.

I may decide to just come down for support if you guys are cool with that.

I wouldn't mind setting up at a strategic spot to provide water, fuel, first aid, shuttle, beer, whatever. This seems like the perfect run to dive into some longer distances but I'm still working my way up to that kind of mileage.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

You could easily bail out at roughly the halfway point if you wanted to; Ryan campground is in that vicinity and the trail gets very close to it.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Come out Jacob. This is a perfect way to meet folks and run with a like minded group without any performance anxiety. We'll just be out for a good time.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Cool, cool. Thx for the invite, Adan (et all).

I'm not competitive about running, it's all about fun. The only reason I even took it up was because of what you guys did (the R2R2R). I was really inspired and motivated by that and thought it would be a great goal to set. Ok, I also wanted to trim down a bit without giving up on beer. That was *almost* as much of a motivating factor!

If I come out, I'd like to complete it. The bailout option is reassuring though, if a knee starts acting up or some other problem.

I guess you can mark me as "likely".

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I have reserved site 81 in Black Rock Campground for Friday, March 1st and Saturday, March 2nd.
    6 people, 2 cars max. Extra cars pay and be parked in overflow (though we'll likely be leaving one at the other end of the park for a night).

Right now we have:
    Craig
    Adan
    Art
    John
    Mike (maybe)
    Jacob (maybe)

Cheers.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

a couple of questions :) if I were to fly into Palm Springs, what would be a good time to fly in (assuming Friday?) to be picked up? also what would be a good time to fly out (assuming folks are leaving on Sunday?) also I could fly in on Thursday and get a motel, same goes for leaving on a Monday

do you plan on stashing water at the half way mark? I can make it 18-20 miles comfortably w/ a bladder and a handheld

also I can throw in a quilt and a pad pretty easy for a carry on- is someone bringing a shelter (if needed) that would have room for one?

danke

Mike

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Mike
    John and i would be driving out there Friday after work. Would probably be in the Palm Springs vicinity some time between 4-6 pm. if you need a pick up we could arrange it.
    have not even thought about Sunday and leaving time, somewhat flexible.
    I am definitely in favor of at least one water stash, two if its convenient, would make the run more enjoyable.
    I will be bringing a large 2 person tent that could "squeeze" 3, can also bring a second tent if need be.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Mike, we can easily stash water at the halfway point; this can be done when driving out to the start on the morning of the run.

I can bring a shelter and any other gear you might need so your flight is easier.

If Art and John can pick you up, I could get you back to Palm Springs on Sunday. Not to put it all on them, but I think Palm Springs is more in their travel direction. Regardless, I don't think I'd be leaving any later than 10am on Sunday, staying long enough for coffee and packing up.

I'm thinking the best way to run this is to start at the North entrance backcountry board (start of the CRHT) on Saturday morning and run back towards camp. The CRHT ends at Black Rock; that way people can get in at whatever time/pace suits them.

We can all pile into a car early Saturday, drive into/across the park, stash water, get to the start, and leave the car there. Saturday night or Sunday morning we can go pick up the car; leaving it overnight at the North entrance backcountry board is OK.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

sounds like an efficient run plan.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Hey, thanks everybody for being flexible on dates so I could get in on this one!! Looking forward to it. I'll be bringing my 6man tent again, so there will definitely be room for you Mike. Same goes for cooking by the way. We will likely bring stove, pot, etc so it would be no problem to bring extra food for you, drinks, etc.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

that would be great Adan :)

I've got an email alert on airline tickets- my hope is w/ fuel costs going down and the holiday season about to end, that tickets might drop a bit

I can get cheap flights into Las Vegas, but the costs of rental cars have sky rocketed for some reason, clearly cheaper (and easier) to fly into Palm Springs

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Mike
    Vegas airport would probably be my last choice, a 4 hour drive after getting the car.
    the drive from Palm Springs to the campground is a half hour or less.
    if you absolutely needed a big city airport, I'd probably look into one of the LA area airports.
    But the closeness of Palm Springs combined with no need for a car … well …

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

is flying into LA an option? flights are a quite a bit cheaper into LAX vs Palm Springs, not sure where everyone is located so don't know if LAX is an option or not

danke

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I could easily get you form LAX. I work about 10 minutes from there. I get off at 3PM, would be heading out to JTree right after that on Friday.
    Could take you back to LAX by Sunday afternoon/evening.

If I pick you up on Friday after work, I've got to warn you; the normally 2 hour drive to Joshua Tree will be 4 hours of freeway sitting in traffic.
    This ain't Montana….
    So we'll get you there either way; the only downside is you'll sit in the car a whole lot longer from LAX.

Let me know what flight times/days you're looking at and I'll chime in on what's best with drive times, etc…

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Craig- I'll check into the flight times and report back

yeah we're a little spoiled here- we talk miles instead of drive times as we take it for granted we'll be driving 65-75 the whole way w/ no traffic :)

Mike

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Craig – that's Great!
    LAX is about 1.5 hrs out of the way for me not counting Friday traffic.

Mike – Don't you live in Montana ? I thought standard road speed was 90+.
    We do 75 bumper to bumper down here.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 121 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools