Topic

Upper Midwest GGG LETS DO IT !!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Upper Midwest GGG LETS DO IT !!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Wondering if anyone would be interested in a midwest GGG. I have contacted Travis Leanna,he is up for meeting at Yellow River State Forest which is by Marquette Iowa in the north east part of the state the weekends that work for us are april 14-15 or 21-22 or may 12-13 If interested post on this thread with the weekends that will work for you. The weekend that will get attended the best wins. Please list all weekends that will work for you not just the best one. I know this is kinda last minute but this does not have to perfect, just a start. We can always plan another one in the future, lets see if we can get this one going. This area is a good meeting place for Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois and Iowa BPLer's. But anyone from any area is welcome. I can bring plenty of seasoned firewood from in state so it is legal, the park often supplies wood to the hike in sites. These sites are 1/4 to 1/2 mile to hike into and we will pick the site to best match our group size. I have called the rangers to warn them this may happen. There is no charge for the hike in sites. Hope we can keep this simple and make this happen. Ok lets run with it!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

As Mark has said, we've been in contact, and I'd like to see something happen! I've yet to meet another BPLer, and we can't let the West coast have all the fun.

So c'mon Midwest, meet us out for a night in IOWAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Edit: Spelled "IOWAHHHHHHHHHH" wrong the first time.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

I might have spelled that wrong If you BP and are from Iowa you understand the WAH part. And by the way this area is some of the best iowa has to offer, its a corner of the state the glaciers missed, rocky, bluffs and coldwater trout streams

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

If anyone is near the freeway from Milwaukee to Madison, then over to Iowa, I'll be able to take 2 more people and gear. I know there's a BPLer in Madison…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

There is no turning back after the first one. Get together, have fun, repeat. Hope you guys get good weather.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Travis. Not much farther than going to the UP for me. I need to check with the boss.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

The May weekend is mothers day. I for one could still make this work but dont want to invite Mom, she would bring her RV and embarass me

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Locale: Eastern Iowa

i'm in

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

I can drive a couple people from minneapolis if anyone needs a ride.

Whoot!

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Hey great to see some takers. Now does April 14&15, 21&22 or May 12&13 work? Please let me know which dates work listed in order of preference. Oh and there is trout fishing in the state forest and all over that area. Fly fishing and tying journal spring 2012 has a article on this area.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Put me in the strong maybe category if it's the April 14-15 weekend. The May weekend is a non-starter for me (Mother's day). Apr 21-22 has problems that may or may not happen so it's hard to know at this time.

Carpooling from the mpls/st.paul would be good.

And watch for an announcement about a winter outing next winter (Afton State Park in MN)

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Okay, so put me in for a pretty strong yolo for 14-15 april. I need to get out of dodge.

I have not been thru madison in a while. I may Megabus it to Chicago then on to Madison, or just drive it. Anyone in MI want to get trapped in the car for 8 hours listening to old BPL podcasts can come along.

So, what is the plan at the site? Family or non-family? Official beverage?

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

As far as families go anyone is welcome this is a public area and we might end up with boy scouts or a church group in the same hike in area. This is a pretty lightly used area compaired to the drive in pay camp groud and I feel confident we can get plenty of space and I dont plan to apply for a group permit to get it all reserved for us, at least not this time as Im guessing this wont be huge the first time. As far as offical beverage I will check into the park rules and regulations on alcohal. I dont drink anymore but have got nothing against anyone bringing in their own. This is a sport that can be enjoyed by families as well as solo and I hope this gathering is also. I may just bring my 10 yr old grand daughter if others are bringing kids.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Thanks. 14 April is at the end of kids spring vacation. I just wanted to get some idea if kid could come or not.

Mark Mendell
    BPL Member

@mmendell

Locale: Midwest

Oh man, would love to do this. April dates don't work, May is a possibility, but that's iffy. I'll keep an eye on the thread. I'd love to represent the West Coast (of Iowa).

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Good to see some people are joining in!

IMO, the "official beverage" is whatever you want, just so everything stays under the umbrella of responsibility. I plan on bringing beer as long as the park allows it.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Travis,

What is the official cheese?

Tim

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

I like what the Iowa DNR has to say about the hiking trails. If you ware training to go out west to go on a "real" hiking trip, this place is for you.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Tim,

Lol! Cheese curds.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Cheese curds

I'm already salivating! (pls don't tell my doc)

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

For my wife and I, May 12-13 for sure, April 21-22 re roofing, April 14-15 possibly, but would have to switch some plans.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

has the date been settled?

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Hi Jim thanks for asking. NOTE TO ALL: I will post the winning date this sunday evening, so far it looks like april 14-15 is winning and May 12-13 is second. That is assuming that the people who just said "Im in" can do any of the dates which is my case, I just want to pull in as many people as possible. I will put up a few signs in the park/state forest on the roads and the trailhead registering area to direct you to parking and the hike in area I will get there the friday b4 as early as possible and I assumn some people will come friday also. If anyone would like to contact me about routes to get there or any other questions pm me with E-mail address or better yet a phone # and best time to call. If you don't mind get me your phone #s and I will enter it in my phone and get you mine it might help incase of emergency or getting lost or stranded. There are some very scenic routes to get there. If you have the time and are coming from the south or south east I highly recommend The great river road national senic byway. It is the slower route and runs along the mississippi as much as it can. I hope more will try to make it out to this and I'm looking forward to meeting you all. But I really want to see and touch a Elightened Equipment quilt… Travis??? I will bring my hand sanitizer. So everyone get out the Ti trowel or get off the fence ;^)

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

I had earlier said I was a go for Apr 14-15 but that has changed. Hope y'all have a good time.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

If Jim is out then it looks like a tie between april 14-15 and May 12-13. Travis, Doug and I can do any date James L didnt state a date so I will PM him to check. If anything has changed for anyone or Anyone else wants to come post ASAP

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools