Topic

Upper Midwest GGG LETS DO IT !!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Upper Midwest GGG LETS DO IT !!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

This trip was a quick lets do it thing. I hope to get alot of imput from this group and others online as of where and when to hold the next one. Ive got alot of ideas like north central Illinois in a group camp ground or the shawnee national forest southern Il.also alot of places in missouri. The thing is to me this is not a backpacking trip and/or a wilderness experience. I dont go out to the winds to be with a large group rather I want to get away I look at GGG as more of a seminar/party in an outdoor setting. If we pull to far south we might loose the minnisota, wisconsin michigan people, the michigan folks already got a big lake in the way of getting here. We as a group need to decide what states we want to pull from and find a place centered in that area. Also Im not much of an organizer and would have no problem handing the reins over to some one else to run this, I just wanted to see this happen and so far as I know nobody else has attempted to get one going. So far this has been real easy I messaged Travis and others called yellow river (which was the only place I could get anyone on the phone) tried a few others and the rest you see here. I think we should start a seperate thread just as soon as this is over and start planning the next one

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Mark,

I had a look and its a ten hour drive for me.

Its an awful long way to go for a gear fondling session :-)

Cheers,

Stephen

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

I got up to yellow river this past weekend and hiked into all 4 backcountry campsites and it looks as if Heffern's Hill camp will work out the best it does have a small trail shelter and a lot of divided areas close with a couple large fire rings and several smaller ones.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

I have it circled on my map.

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Locale: Eastern Iowa

Everyone still in for next weekend? Will be posting the trout stocking info later this weekend

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Here's the trout stocking info I promised for the week of the GGG trip. All these streams are within a 15 minute drive of the camp area and two are in the park itself and are hikeable.

Paint Creek is very close to the camp site and is on an unannounced schedule, but the do usually stock it at least once a week, and there is some holdover trout.

Little Paint Creek is a smaller stream and would probably be great for the Tenkara style of fishing. The DNR is scheduled to stock that on Friday the 10th.

There are three more unannounce streams close to Yellow river, North Cedar, about 10 miles south of where we will be and would also probably be a great Tenkara stream.

Wexford which is about 10 mile north. It's a bigger stream with limited fishing options, only a couple of places to fish from.

Hickory Creek is about 10 miles West of Yellow river. I really don't know too much about it, although I have heard it can be good.

Bloody Run is a nice long stream that is supposed to be stocked on Tuesday the 8th. It is very close to Marquette, Iowa and is heavily fished. A good portion of this stream is hike in only fishing, but I really don't know how much pressure the hike in part gets.

Sny Magill is the last stream within the 15 minute window. It's a nice long stream that it supposed to be stocked on Thursday the 9th. There are alot of parking areas available along this stream so it's usually a short walk to the water.

Licence fees: Resident Annual $19 7 day $13.50 1 day $9.50 Trout Stamp $12.50

Non Resident Annual $41 (so not fair) 7 day $32 3 day $17.50 1 day $10.50 Trout stamp $15.00

The licenses are available online at the Iowa DNR website or shops in the area.

And if your real nice I might be persuaded to catch a few for dinner.

Hope to see you all up there next weekend.

By the way, I will probably be up there in the afternoon on the 10th.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

I will also head up on thursday the 10th. Once again the plan is to meet at the Heffern's hill camp.

SPAM

@trekked

Locale: Midwest

I from Waunakee WI.

Yellow River State Forest Trail, Harpers Ferry, IA is 2 hrs 42 mins away from me. I just joined today so we will see if I head up there in a few days.

I might just do it.

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Welcome to BPL Michael, and hope to see you there next weekend.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Doug and Mark,
    What time are you guys planning on showing up on Thursday?

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

David, We are going to try and be there around 3pm or so, kinda depends on Mark's work schedule. While I'm here, I was wondering if anyone wanted to do a group dinner or something. I've never been to one of these so I really don't know what to bring. Any ideas?

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Doug,
    I typically do freezer bag cooking but we could try for a group meal. I will probably show up Thursday PM and leave late on Saturday. It wouldn't be very hard to do steak and a baked potato on a wood fire. I would assume they have fire-pits with grilles? I am still planning on bringing two Tenkara rods with plenty of line. I will probably put some lightweight waders in the trunk in case we drive to another location. Let me know if you want to do steak so I can adjust my meals. Where do you suggest for parking?

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Directons Hwy 76 to state forest rd when you see a half circle drive to the right there is a map and information and a camp host. The next drive to the right is the ranger station and trail sign in and water you should sign in, there are NO fees . Getting back on state forest rd you go over paint creek then in about 1 mile you cross over little paint creek take the next right to the equestrian camp grounds go past both horse camps just B4 you get to a bridge with a road closed sign (closed may be vandal scratched off and open spray painted over) there is a parking area to the left. This is the trail and parking area for hefferns hill I think there will be enough parking here. The ranger said we just had to be off the road. I am bringing plenty of firewood and there is usually wood there left by the rangers anyway. PLEASE DO NOT BRING ANY OUT OF STATE FIREWOOD. Im looking forward to meeting everyone

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Any thoughts on a group meal for Thursday night?

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Group meal for thursday night sounds good to me I think it will be just you, doug and I thursday I just sent a message to josh but didnt ask when he is coming and James Byrnes will be up real early sat am. I have not heard from anyone else on ETA But I like your idea of steak and potatos over the fire maybe with some grilling beans. I dont think there are grills but we can bring some for over the fire

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Mark,
    I'll bring three steaks. If anyone else is coming Thursday night let me know and I will bring more.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

I should be there before dinner on Friday. I would like to do some grilling with you guys, but mine will have be done on Friday.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

So far Doug T. David N. James B. Josh P. and Mark R. have posted in the last few days I'm not sure about Travis L, Tim Z, James L, Jim C, Mark M, and Mike M. Travis, Tim and James L had sounded pretty sure a while back

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

I won't bring steaks for everyone Friday, however I am willing to grill a second night.
    It won't be that far back to the car and a cooler. Possibly not quite BPL but sure would taste GREAT.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Mark, when I called the park office last week they said I should park at the headquarters building. If its ok to park just past the equestrian campgrounds like you say, that's even better.

I will probably cooking up some brats or polish sausages on Friday.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

David I sent you a PM not sure if you got it but yes steaks sound great and thanks for bringing them. Doug and I will handle the rest of dinner. Josh brats on friday sounds good I will make a food run friday and or saturday as Im not gonna get the time to do much shopping or plan a menu b4 I leave.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Mark,
    No, I didn't get a PM. Looks like a grilling weekend. Great. I will have to leave early Pm on Saturday. Steak and then brats. There go the dinners I built. See you guys tomorrow.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Mark. I have to cancel. My apologies.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools