Topic

Lost Coast Loop Hike March/April

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Lost Coast Loop Hike March/April

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Sounds very cool. It will be good to see you all again. I'm looking forward to it rain or shine although I don't think I'll get to test my hammock out this trip:(

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Full up. Thanks for all the interest. I realize that I gave away my last copy of the BLM map to Joseph last year. I'll get a new copy and post a coherent trip plan.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Dave W. is awaiting spousal approval.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Damn, why don't you west-coasters ever plan a trip over this way? :)

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

OK, Ken, Thanks. It sounds as if you'll have a great trip. Perhaps I'll catch a later one.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

West side best side.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

I might be able to make this. I would need a ride from the sf bay peninsula.. I met my buddy up there last spring and had 3 days of hard rain. I'm hoping to see this awesome area in a different light.

Ben F

@tekhna

Hey guys, doing the Lost Coast for the first time late next month–any insight on best practices or planning? Better to go north to south? South to north? Need two cars obviously. Good to know about a canister per person. That's a pain. Any idea where to get maps? Are there designated camp spots along the trail, or just camp where you can?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Ben, you have a PM on the way.

Ben F

@tekhna

Gracias! Back atcha.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

So I've come up with 23 miles.
    It is 10 miles from the trailhead to the Spanish Ridge trail. This is just before Spanish Flat where we all stayed last time.
    It is a steep 3 mile climb to the top of the ridge. Once on top it is 10 miles back to the car.

Question is, do you want to climb the ridge at the end of the day or first thing in the morning. Guaranteed to warm you up.

This will also take us past a rarity out there, a small lake.

Low tide around 7am high around 1pm.

Must be past Randall Creek before high tide. That is around 8.8 miles in. That is that dash around the point.

Next question, When and where do you all want to sleep the night before? A.W. Way is about an hour from 101. Burlington campground is just off the 101. You can also camp at the trailhead, sucks bad if windy. I am not opposed to a night start either.
    3.7 miles to the lighthouse. see avatar.

It is an hour and a half drive for me to the trailhead. You guys are coming much further away(which I really appreciate)so I'll leave this decision to you.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I am getting pretty fat and relish as much strenuous exercise as possible but am fine with whatever the majority decide.

Since I work in IT and do almost no real work I am ok with getting pretty blown out and working next morning. I doubt that is the case for everyone so we will do what is easiest for the one who gets up earliest. Kat?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"Since I work in IT and do almost no real work I am ok with getting pretty blown out and working next morning. I doubt that is the case for everyone so we will do what is easiest for the one who gets up earliest. Kat?"

;-) I could go either way. In general I prefer to do more work the first day; that would mean the 3 mile climb on Saturday….but I am game with what works for all.
    My question is about Friday departure: what time? I get off at 2:30 but I can either take a couple hours off or start two hours earlier …wait, at 4?? Nah, I can take a couple hours off if that gets us up there at a better time.

Matt, hammocks should be fine, I think…Ken?
    I have a 3/4 underquilt that you are welcome to borrow, also.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Hammocks are doable. Cameron suggests that we climb the ridge early in a chance to experience epic fog and mist!

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Upward through fog and mist is epic.

If we are going to leave in early afternoon on Friday I will take a half-day off work rather than a full day. I am fine with whatever it takes to get us all up North.

What works for you, Casey?

I will gladly borrow the under quilt, Kat and give the hammock a try at last.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

I can leave early on Friday.
    All other options are fine.
    Stoked to be going with such an awesome group.
    Are we going to be climbing the ridge where we saw the deer last year?

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Just re-read the post and saw that JW is in!!!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

It's a great bunch for sure Casey. That is the ridge we'll be going up. At least it is not as steep as the one on the other side of the creek.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Wow

lc2012

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

What is that, Ken? I can't make out the graph.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Our elevation profile.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

No big. Kat and Casey will run up it like they did last time.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

…on all fours!

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

nice!!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

If Casey's wearing my underwear, it'll be like I'm on the trip too! Cool!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools