Topic

Product Ideas and Feedback Wanted

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Product Ideas and Feedback Wanted

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I just found out some more info from the distributor. The 1.20lb foam is crazy expensive and has super high minimums. (5x the price and 100x the minimum) So with that said, I have decided to go with the more standard 2.0lb density weight. The foam I am going to use is an ultra soft, highly resilient closed cell cross linked foam with 18% EVA. Basically its the same as Evazote.. I am still waiting to hear back on the colors but here are some rough figures on were we are with the weight and prices

1/8" Thickness:
    20"x48" 2.25oz, $12.95
    20"x72" 3.35oz, $15.95
    24"x76" 4.00oz, $17.95

Please let me know your thoughts..

Thanks,
    Lawson

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Any idea on shipping costs?

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

The prices would include Free Shipping.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Will it be any more tear resistant than the stuff Suluk use to sell?

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Kind of a bummer that it weighs 2x what the Suluk46 ones weigh… my suluk46 74x24x1/8 pad weighs 1.9 oz…

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

The Suluk46 pads are garbage in my opinion. Mine tore just by attaching it to my pack. I'll gladly carry 2 more ounces for a long term solution.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

I think you'll have no problem selling them at those prices, especially with free shipping. It's well worth the extra durability for the tiny bit of extra weight.

Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL

Sounds good. I guess I'd be down for a 72×20. I initially thought I'd prefer the larger size, but 72×20 could easily be folded to fit in the pad pocket of my SMD Swift, and I could leave the pad I'm currently using at home (a 20"x10" section from a zlite) and still ditch my groundsheet. Weight sounds fine to me considering the price, assuming the durability is there.

Too bad the lighter stuff is so much more expensive…

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

I think the 24" version would be ideal. Affordable (GG), more durable (Suluk) and if someone wants something smaller find a utility knife.

I am also looking forward to the thicker pad.

Kevin Manley
    BPL Member

@manleyk

Locale: Denver-ish

I'm still looking for this cord. At 3mm, it holds 3600lbs!

Kevin

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Kevin,

I Googled it and found 1, 200 meter roll left at Amazon for $553.80.

http://www.amazon.com/New-England-Ropes-Tech-Cord/dp/B0081ZLJQA

From the picture in your avatar I think I understand why you are looking for this cord.

Party On,

Newton

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Lawson, despite the 1.2lb foam being much more expensive, if the estimated R-Values are factual, then I still think a Ridgerest killer is worth bringing to market, even at a higher cost. The higher cost doesn't make sense for a groundpad (1/8"), since the R-Value is more or less irrelevant and it's comfort doesn't really matter. You're really only saving weight with the 1.2lb foam.

For a thick foam mattress that you'll be sleeping on, the better R-Value, comfort value, and weight savings, the higher priced foam would definitely be worth it.

The 24×76 looks good for 1/8" thickness. You get more versatility this way, as people who want something smaller can easily cut it down to size, and the larger size is very useful to people who have large-sized airmats.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I have never owned a Suluk46 pad but from what I understand they use Plastazote foam. Calculating the sleeping pads width x length x thickness, it would appear as if they were using the Plastazote 15LD or 18LD. This weight Plastazote has 0% EVA, a tear strength of 1.80-2.95lbs, and elongation at break of 95%-125%. This is the reason the foam is lightweight but not very durable or resilient.. The foam I am using has 18% EVA, a tear strength of 10.9lbs, and an elongation of break of 550%. These numbers are actually better then Evazote and Supazote..

Tim Heckel
    Spectator

@thinair

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs

Someone mentioned 1/8" pads are available already.
    True but NOT in wider widths. 20" is too narrow.
    I generally use these 1/8" pads under another pad, typically a 20". I suspect a lot of us do.
    A wider 1/8" pad would give some insulation and padding for parts of our bodies that do not fit on the 20" pad, think arms, feet, lower legs, and hands.
    1/8" pads are highly versatile as has been mentioned.
    I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Brent Mahan

@thenerb

Locale: Southern New Hampshire

I'd be in for a 24" width pad.

Would you be able to do any custom width or lengths? Not sure how you are receiving this from the distributor.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools