Topic

Canister Stove cooking cup/pot – New Design? Eliminate Seperate Windscreen.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Canister Stove cooking cup/pot – New Design? Eliminate Seperate Windscreen.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Paul Mason

@dextersp1

I couldn't sleep and while tossing and tuning I came up with idea for a New Design for a canister stove cooking cup/pot for and integrated wind screen.

Let's say your canister stove has three supports that go out 4" from the center of the stove.

Imagine any cup or pot that currently works with that stove.

On the bottom of that cup or pot 3 3/4;" from the center are three metal leaves with 3 gaps between them for the supports to go through (think of a circle with gaps). The leaves hand down 1/2"? 3/4"? 1"? and block the wind. We wouldn't want them too long to overheat the gas canister.

What do you think?

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Your idea, as I understand it, is essentially to attach the windscreen to the pot, with a flange extending down below the bottom of the pot to shield the burner from cross-winds. If this is right, then I think it's a cool idea, but that this won't leave an air gap for the hot gasses and flames to escape upward along the outside edge of the pot because this creates an inverted cup the burner jets into. If this is the case, I think the performance of the stove will suffer and it will reflect a lot of heat down onto the canister.

By anecdotal evidence, I am assured that heating the canister will result in a gigantic fireball that kills or maims everyone within approximately 1/4 mile. Well, sorta, but you get the picture.

Paul Mason

@dextersp1

Erik,
    That is why we need engineers with slide rulers to figure out how long to make the leaves.

How about this option – make the leaves with very small holes (mesh insert?) which allows the heat to go up some and still blocks the wind – this might lower potential of death and eliminate some weight.

I still think there is a leave length that balances out the wind blocking and chance of death. That would be preferable to keep mfg costs low.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Maybe something like this?
    screen

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

In addition to the windscreen function wouldn't it be great if there were also a mechanism to scavenge excess heat from the exhaust gasses? That would save fuel and weight!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

By anecdotal evidence, I am assured that heating the canister will result in a gigantic fireball that kills or maims everyone within approximately 1/4 mile. Well, sorta, but you get the picture.

That might be a good demonstration at the GGG. Film at 11.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Makes more sense to integrate it into the stove. Gerry and Hank Roberts both had stoves in the early 70's that did this. Hiking Jim can probably post pictures. I owned one of the first Hank Roberts but a friend of mine wanted it so bad, and because they were hard to find at first he traded me a Sigg Tourit/non-cleaning Svea 123 kit for it, so I can't take a picture. In the 80's Gaz did this with the Globe Trotter, one of my first UL stoves.

Globe Trotter 1
    Note the built in windscreen. Came with a pot that fit perfectly.

Globe Trotter 2
    The kit came with a pot and cup and the stove nested inside it. The stove used Gaz 106 canisters, which were punctured by the stove tube, so they had to remain in the stove until the fuel was exhausted. But with the canister attached it still fit into the pot/cup. BTW, a Svea 123 fits inside the pot and cup perfectly too.

Globe Trotter 3
    Neither the Hank Roberts nor Gaz canisters are available. I have a few of the Gaz left and am always looking for more. I also have my first canister stove, an Optimus 731 Mousetrap that used the Hank Roberts canisters, alas I am out of those and haven't been able to find more in years.

Paul Mason

@dextersp1

Yes, maybe something a bit more elegant. The aluminum part at the bottom would be about 1/4' to 1/2" recessed under the cup. And there would be slots for the stove supports. I'm guessing the leaves would only need to come down to the bottom of the burner.

Where is that attached – the cup or the stove?

All others – OK so, maybe it wasn't a new design idea.

Has anyone tried the Soto windscreen? I have a Soto OD-1 and it works great. I don't have the wind screen.

http://www.sotooutdoors.com/products/item/OD-1RW.html

If google did the math correctly the chart is for 2.4 (meters / second) = 5.3686471 miles per hour

Maybe others here can adapt the style for their stoves.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Nick,

I was in Catalina (Two Harbors) recently and saw a stack of Gaz cannisters. You might call them and see where they get them.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Jon,

Do you know if they were the short ones? Also do you know what store? It sounds like you cannot bring canisters on the boat, is that correct. I have been wanting to go back over there anyway, might be something to push me :)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Paul Mason
    If you search in the DIY forum you will find some windscreens of that type made from the aluminium pie plates and even a very nice one made from a Ti Snow Peak bowl .
    (Could be 2-4 years old…)
    Another thought (just tried that…)
    Enter "Snow Peak Windscreen" in Google images, you will find plenty there
    Franco

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Or you can buy a windscreen from Snow Peak that weighs more than the stove :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

when I weighed the SP windshield I was a little surprised, I made up a Ti version using the SP one as a model, it's not very pretty, but works as well as the SP steel one and is MUCH lighter :)

Photobucket

Scott Pickard

@gon2srf

"Jon,

Do you know if they were the short ones? Also do you know what store? It sounds like you cannot bring canisters on the boat, is that correct. I have been wanting to go back over there anyway, might be something to push me :)"

Nick-

There is only one store in the Isthmus. You can call the General Store at the following number.

General Store – Catalina Isthmus, Two Harbors – (310) 510-4217

Scott

al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

Manufacturers should have a standard stove mount for such windscreens…

The primus winsdcreen (http://www.primus.eu//Archive/Images/Resized%20images/400×400/734670_windscreen_400x400.jpg) is a start: on some stoves it can be mounted above the jet entry, so that protects the lower paert cup and burner from wind. This should also circumvent their forbidding of use on side burner stoves (presumably they were worried about heat couple into cannister collar),

As shown, the windscreen should really have some points (pegs?) for a foil windscreen to rest, allowing fuller protection. It should also really have a better hinge so as can encircle burner more.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Thanks, Scott.

Paul Mason

@dextersp1

Eric,
    I originally fashioned something like that out of a pie tin that hung down from the supports. It was a in a full circle. It was about 2 1/2" above the canister. The canister got too hot, so I stopped using it.

I think I might fashion somthing like the Soto design out of aluminum or just buy the Soto.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Nick, although I can send PM's, I can never, ever open them or reply to them here, regardless of whether I'm logged in, facing east etc… Crappy software is what it is.

The Gaz I saw at both Mira Mesa and Kearny was both the tall and the short canisters that require piercing with the stove to use.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Thanks, Erik. I did send you a PM. I will check them out, and the ones close to me.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Any new ideas on a windscreen that will fit inside a Tooaks 550 pot?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Interesting design:

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

interesting. Primes claims that the stove system is 80% efficient.  They achieve this by 3 key design features. A HX pot, a built in windscreen and a stove designed with the heat focussed on the center of the pot.  Total weight 804 grams.

https://primus.us/pages/eta-technology

At one time Primus offered a snap on windscreen that clipped to the canister.  It was removed from the market due to overheating  concerns.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Yes the integrated a windscreen with a Moulder strip.  Great for use above freezing.  Too much thermal feedback for normal use.  My 2 cents

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools