Topic

Canister Stove cooking cup/pot – New Design? Eliminate Seperate Windscreen.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Canister Stove cooking cup/pot – New Design? Eliminate Seperate Windscreen.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Locale: RTP
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Lots of fiddle factor but interesting:

YouTube video

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

$109 USD, titanium, BRS stove.  Interesting concept that was released a while ago.  The product hasn’t seemed to pick up any traction.  I suspect that the price point is out of alignment especially considering that the use the BRS 3000t.
    I think that David Gardner’s concept will be closer to a sweet spot.  My 2 cents.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

A lot of product in the kit, not hand made:

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Dan
    You would need to make sure that the air inlets near the bottom of the stove were not obstructed. I can’t see from your photo how clear they are.
    But I do like the simplicity!

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

#1824606Reply

Erik BasilBPL MEMBER

Your idea, as I understand it, is essentially to attach the windscreen to the pot, with a flange extending down below the bottom of the pot to shield the burner from cross-winds. If this is right, then I think it’s a cool idea, but that this won’t leave an air gap for the hot gasses and flames to escape upward along the outside edge of the pot because this creates an inverted cup the burner jets into. If this is the case, I think the performance of the stove will suffer and it will reflect a lot of heat down onto the canister.

Based on the above quote, I have made something that will work well for me. I used a new titanium pot. I welded a bracket to the side oposite the handles. The windscreen is made of titanium and reaches 1″ below the bottom of the pot. The windscreen attaches easily to the bracket. I love it when everything lines up so nicely. 

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Works well with a Fancee Feest alcohol stove and also with canister stoves.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Looks pretty good.  I wonder if you could fold a 1/4”-3/8” tab to the ends. You may need to interleave the tabs to store in the pot.  This could give you an pretty good annular ring around 3/4 to 7/8 of the pot.  Just a thought.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Yes, there are improvements pending.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

This one has real promise. 2 cups boiled with 3 grams fuel. Non scientific test.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Nice view!

Bruce M
    Spectator

@va3pinner

Locale: In the shadow of the Shenandoah

I have this. 3 oz. Like to make one lighter but it really works

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

This is how I did it (details in another thread):

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools