Topic

The MSRatauk SuperGnat (Gaz *and* Threaded!)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The MSRatauk SuperGnat (Gaz *and* Threaded!)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

There are two types of modern gas canisters for backpacking (see Backpacking Gas Canisters 101 for further information).

Generally, stoves built for one type of canister only work with that type of canister. For example, Camping Gaz stoves generally only work with Camping Gaz canisters. However, there are a few exceptions. Unfortunately, those exceptions aren't very lightweight. However, there is a relatively lightweight stove that will use either Camping Gaz or threaded canisters that you can assemble yourself in only a few minutes. This post shows you how if you'd like to try. Check out the The SuperGnat.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Where did you find a disassembled Gnat?

–B.G.–

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Under my fly swatter of course. :)

Special thanks to Bob Gross who provided the Gnat for this testing.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Special thanks to Bob Gross who provided the Gnat for this testing."

You disassembled my Gnat?

That wasn't part of the deal.

I guess you won't be getting anymore stoves from me.

–B.G.–

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Well, yes, but only the standard disassembly one would do to clean the jet. I didn't even remove the jet which I would have if a real problem were to develop on any stove.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

OK, you win, HJ.

You keep the stove. I don't want it back.

I'll even tell you where you can store it.

I think other readers of that web site might want to think twice before trying to help.

–B.G.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I would not be thrilled with somebody taking my things apart either. I don't loan stuff out.

Did you ask? No. BG is right to be upset.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Ken, I think we agree. I won't be loaning stuff out in the future.

I already have a new intact Monatauk Gnat on order, and it won't be leaving my sight.

–B.G.–

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Well. It sounds like I misjudged. Bob, I publicly apologize to you. Bad judgement at least on my part.

There is absolutely no damage of any kind to the Gnat, but I should have asked.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

That is terrible.
    let's it, Jim is officially off my Christmas list.
    Franco

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Bad judgement at least on my part."

Look on the bright side. That saves you the cost of shipping it back to me.

For one thing, I virtually never borrow things from people, specifically for this reason. Even if I did, I would never think of taking a borrowed item apart without asking. Too many times, there is some special factory sealant or gotcha that was never expected.

–B.G.–

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I have to agree with Jim here. Unscrewing the burner column from the valve base is an expected part of owner maintenance. It's the only way of getting to the jet.

Cheers
    PS: FOUR current butane/propane canister types:
    Screw thread
    CampingGaz twist-clik
    Coleman Powermax (even if officially discontinued)
    Fly-spray can nipple (paint can, hair spray …)

ALL have Lindal valves inside.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Excellent. HJ, Roger wants you to send the Gnat to him.

I've never had to get to a butane jet. If that is an expected part of owner maintenance, then you better explain that to the Monatauk company.

–B.G.–

Benjamin Ludwig

@ender

Locale: Mid-West

Hey everyone, feel free to send me a free stove any time you like lol ;)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Roger, Jim is not the owner. That is the point.
    I have yet to have to take apart a canister stove in over 30 years of camping. My current stove is 10 years old.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

ENOUGH ALREADY, FOLKS!

It is obvious the SuperGnat has royally flamed Jim's a$$.

He has publicly admitted his error and has also publicly apologized.

So let's drop it and move forward……please!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"So let's drop it and move forward……please!"

Sure. I have the replacement stove on order.

HJ doesn't have to pay for the return shipment to me, so he saves some more bucks, unless he ships it to Roger.

–B.G.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I am good with Jim, there Bob.
    I do suggest however that Jim should be posting these links to articles on his excellent blog in the On the Web forum.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Back to the original topic:

Jim, That's a nice way to more fully utilize the stove. Bopping around Africa or Asia, you can find the most unexpected things available or unavailable, IME. Having twice the canister options would be sweet.

And, when you want the basic, less flexible Gnat with its lighter weight (when you know you can get threaded canisters), it is a really quick swap back.

If I loan you my Prius, would you put a battery-only button in it like the Japanese models have? There have been numerous times I've wanted that option.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Ken and Bob

I agree that one does not often need to clean a jet, but it has happened. Primus imported a line of canisters into Australia some time ago which had obviously been made by a Chinese firm rather cheaply and sold to Primus as a 'great deal'. The mixture was of rather variable composition and the gas was full of very fine dust. The dust caused me a lot of hassle until I took all the canitsers back to the shop and demanded my money back. (Got it too.) There's a moral here somewhere…

Cheers

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hard to tell if this thread is joking or serious, but for anyone curious about the Gnat – which I use as my primary stove – unscrewing requires nothing different than screwing the stove on the canister. I know some stoves are tough to take apart, some require tiny screws, some use threadlock. The Gnat is not like that at all. A very simple twist unscrews it. Not unlike taking it off the canister itself, actually. The idea that this could damage the stove is ridiculous.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

So did you ever do any Gnat efficiency compared to other canister stoves?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

"There's a moral here somewhere…"

Yes there is. Don't take apart other peoples things without asking. Which is what the stink is about. Not maintenance issues.

As for the stove I am sure many heads and bodies can be swapped around.

I see no reason to mix and match.

Don't see much of those Gaz cartridges around much anymore. I suspect they will fall to the roadside too.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

In general, using a burner with a jet from another stove does not usually work, so that this does is lucky on two counts!
    Expensive tho'. A less expensive option is to use a Markill/Edelrid adaptor

markill adaptor

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"Don't see much of those Gaz cartridges around much anymore."

I can buy fuel a fair bit cheaper in Gaz canisters locally than in MSR canisters, mostly because Gaz is stocked in 230 and 450 grams while MSR is stocked in 113 and 227 grams.

>"I suspect they will fall to the roadside too."

I'm by the roadside, but just barely – I'm at the western extreme of the North American road system. 5,000 people in town, but a lot of people come from all over the world to play with their food (hunting and fishing).

With how strong Gaz is in France and how the French patronize anything French, I suspect it will remain dominant in France, moderate in Europe, and a minor player in North America. Anyone know if that propagates out into Francophone areas around the world? Quebec, former African colonies, etc? British East African countries still are tied to British de-facto standards even while being upset at their former rulers.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 103 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools