Topic

Unmanageable wetness this weekend

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Unmanageable wetness this weekend

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 101 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

> Has anyone else tried the double quilt or double bag method?

for about a year I tried this. The theory was that that I could use the synthetic quilt on wet trips, the down quilt on drier 3 season trips, and the combo on cold trips. Seemed like a great theory and I just didn't like it. I don't remember why. In the end though, I sold the synthetic quilt, and continues with what I had been doing before, light down quilt for most 3 season, quilt + synthetic puffing clothing for shoulder season, and a the wm versalite + vapor barrier came out when I needed more warmth

–mark

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

I'm guessing that this technique would also work draping a down garment over down and would also work if the quilt was syn????

as long as synth is the outer layer …

as a side note … if yr thin down jacket/vest is damp and you have a synth outer … ie 2 layer system … it actually dries the down with body heat providing you have sufficient insulation

im a big fan of down inner, synth outer

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

eric – trying to understand why the outer layer would have to be syn, I understand it would be advantageous for it to be syn (dries quicker), but if I had to "sacrifice" my down jacket in conditions described, I'd rather do that then let my down quilt/bag get wet

are you saying for this technique to work, the outer layer has to be syn?

thanks

mike

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

if you dont want yr down jacket to get damp as body heat pushes the moisture to the last layer … if this is synth it dries easily or at least stays warm when damp … if it is down, you end up with a damp down layer

you can "sacrifice" it if you want … but its just easier to bring a synth jacket ;)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

OK gotcha :) fortunately those would be pretty rare conditions for me, good to know if I do find myself in something along those lines I can "sacrifice" down jacket (over my down quilt) if push comes to shove

agree that if you are in area where these conditions are not rare- a syn outer would be a better choice (heck a syn bag for that matter too)

Viewing 5 posts - 101 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools