Topic

Best lightweight winter tent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Best lightweight winter tent?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 143 total)
  • Author
    paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Something i learned a couple of yrs ago fr/a Scandanavian poster: the Akto can be double-poled; the pole sleeve is supposedly intentionally designed large enough to accept two poles, thus reducing the possibility of collapse.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

In addition to the standard pole that comes with the Akto, Hilleberg offers a heavier pole that fits the Akto.

The pole that comes with the Akto is 9mm and about 6.2 oz, while the heavier pole is 10mm and about 7.30 oz. Double-poling remains an option with the heavier pole which would appear to produce an even stronger structure.

JRS

Eric Parsons

@ericp

Locale: Alaska

I cant comment on the Atko, but Hilleberg tents are super duper high quality. I used a Nammatj 3gt on Denali and other trips in alaska. It has much more room for the weight and withstoot 100+ mph winds at 17,000' camp. Some other tents (north face, mtn hardware) were shredded.

So much focus here on snow loading… bang on the tent walls to clear it then get out and shovel! standard winter storm procedure ;)

John Baird

@jbaird

Locale: Deleware Watergap A_T

There seem to be quite a few sites acclaiming AKTO virtue. The whapping price of $355 + $35 for the ground cloth is pricy for me, but I'm still thinking this is the one. It has allot going for it. So before the winter passes me by, I'll be buying it and will post a review for others to read. As a novice to winter hiking and camping, I'm sure we'll all have a laugh.
    Good luck to all.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Can anyone enlighten me and compare two somewhat similar APPEARING tents, pointing out the appropriate uses of each and their relative strengths and weaknesses.

The two shelters are the Hilleberg Akto and the Exped Vela 1 (just $200).

I have no experience with either.

Randy Brissey
    BPL Member

@rbrissey

Locale: Redondo Beach, CA

Hello,

As a former owner of an Akto the greatest problem that I had was the fact at 6 feet tall I could not sit straight up in the tent without brushing my head on the roof. It was easy to set up and relatively bombproof (except for snow loading) but the reason I sold it was solely due to the lack of headspace.

I am seriously thinking of returning to Hilleberg again but this time it would be a Kaitum which has 4 inches more headroom at the center pole without such severe dropoff to the ends. My big problem with the Kaitum is the length of space needed to set it up.

I am planning (next summer) to do the "Sierra High Route" but not with my present tent (a Contrail). I would rather share a 2 person 4-season tent for that type of trip ( I like the Mountain Hardware Spire 2 at a fraction over 5 pounds). Twice I have been stuck in horrific conditions in the Sierras (during one trip there were 5 fatalities in the backcountry) and have had to sit out a storm as long as 3 days.

Randy

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The Hillegerg Nallo or other Hilleberg tents are THE best light winter tents made. Period. That's why they are pricey.

Eric

Joseph Aulwes

@eispickel

I just purchased a Vaude Refuge, at 30oz it's a reasonable light weight 2P shelter. I haven't had a chance to fully test it yet. With all of the guylines it should hold up fairly well. If conditions were really bad I suppose I could just crawl into it un-pitched as a two person bivy sack.

After I test it I'll let you guys know how it holds up.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

The Vaude Refuge appears to be an example of a shelter style discussed in an earlier thread …. which I'm not being able to locate. Anyone remember the generic name of that style shelter?

John Baird

@jbaird

Daunting to say the least. It seems there are a lot of opinions out there.
    There is a group for tents, tarps, bivys and just standin out there neckid with a hat on.

I use a 2002…3 season Siera design Aseroid CD. It looks nothing like the 2006 model. It has one pole and 6 stakes. The inner tent is all no seeum mesh with a tub floor, the fly is very thin but holds back the rain ok. It weighs in at 3.2 lbs complete with the extra custom foot print ground cloth.

I'm looking at the Akto

John Baird

@jbaird

Eric

You say the Hilleberg products are the best. I'm seeing from other coments that they are not venting well. so they'r hot during warmer seasons. The 34" height is a problem for some.
    Please tell me why you like them so much. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking at this one for muyself as well.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

For example, the 250g Montbell zelt, and many other variations, basically thin puptents which can be pitched or draped over the body. A candle or canister stove used for a few seconds can provide heating. Is that what you meant?
    From the german word for "tent" I think.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

that was it, thanks

Joseph Aulwes

@eispickel

This may be a little off topic…
    Would you consider the GoLite TRIG 2 SHELTER a "zelt"? The newer version of the Vaude Refuge is more like the Trig2, but with more head room and designed to handle more extreme weather.
    I'll post some pictures after my field test tonight…

Test:
    -16 wind chill

There was a minimal amount of frost from condensation inside the tent. Since the wind speeds only topped out at 12mph I was unable to determine how well it would hold up in harsh winds. It was still way below freezing inside the tent, but it was still noticeably warmer than it was outside.

I've made one modification to the tent; I sewn on 6 small pieces of Velcro to the screen window so that I could attach a window cover to help retain heat. I didn't cover the air vent above the door to allow some ventilation.

There are some little details that made this tent a lot nicer:
    – The guy lines are four times longer than shown in the above pictures, with two glow in the dark sliders to easily adjust to the exact length.
    – It comes with 10 'U' shaped lightweight aluminum stakes.
    – 40D Silicone Nylon, light, but a more durable than 1.1oz sil.
    – Front door vestibule can be anchored on either side. This would allow entree from left or right side; important if pitched on a ledge.

I would like to see:
    – A few loops inside the tent to hang-up socks or a light.
    – A way to close the mesh windows. (which I fixed)

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

In my Akto I went for an upgrade 10mm pole (same pole as the Nallo's rear pole). This should cover the strength issue and I don't feel I'll need to carry the standard 9mm to double pole. Since the Akto has endured 70 mph winds with no ill effects I'll feel safe out there. Plenty of space for me at 6'1" 192 lbs. Very easy to set up.

I recently had a young female former co-worker say she'd like to go camping with me. I told her that we'd have to be on a different level of friendly before we could both fit in there in the winter.

Akto in the snow

John Baird

@jbaird

You are my hero john.

DONALD DYRLAND

@bowsinger

All my winter backpacking is going to be below tree line and it will be (by next season) either a 3-pound titanium Goat or a 5-pound Kifaru tipi/wood stove system. I will have external heat-period. I have much more on this on my 40 BELOW thread.

Bruce .

@3pinner

Wow……..
    this is what I get for not checking back on the forums!
    Thanks for all the replys. I think I'm going to go with the ATko, with the heavier poles. Most of my winter forays are below tree line, and I tend to seek the most sheltered campsites I can find. I figure the animals must know something about keeping out of the weather :-)
    All of these suggestions sounded great, I looked into( and will still seriously consider) the tee pee style tents.
    Unfortunately we just had our last blast of winter around here. 9 months of sweat season starts in a couple of weeks, so I have a bit of time to think things through.
    Thanks again for all the suggestions.
    Bruce

Anonymous
    Inactive

I will cast with the Hex 3, floorless shelter. It is rock solid in heavy wind and provides plenty of room for gear. Additionally the floorless feature allows for easy ingress and egress in really nasty weather without having to take your boots off and there is an abundance of head room. I have had mine for several years and appreciate it more every winter.

Thorben Löhl

@borgefjell-1

I really wonder why hilleberg tents are still named as the best tents. They have been really good a couple of years ago but today the quality isn´t any more what it has been + non of there tents exept the Keron and Kaitum are able to handle heavy snow loads. Even the Tarras vestibules are so low angeled that snow will cause problems if it builds up there (and it will!). Just look at the newer Nallos – I´ve seen non so far which had a taut pitch, crinkles everywhere. Helsport is a much better option imo, there Ringstind is quite similar to the Akto and there xtrem-tents are what the name sais…

Other good tent are made by crux and lightwave

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

I'd like to see more Crux gear available Stateside. This site once lauded one of the Crux Tents as best of the "Bomber" twin-wall 4 season tents.

bomber tents

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I cast another vote for the Golite Hex3. With proper trenching around the tent, snow is a non-issue! And 2 lbs (incl. stakes) for 2 people is pretty lightweight for winter shelter. A winter palace!

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

Has anyone used an OWare silnylon pyramid in above-treeline situations?

They make a 9×9' pyramid that's 6 feet tall that weighs less than the Hex 3. It's built of 1.35oz silnylon instead of GoLite's 1.76oz and has substantially more surface area, but then again Titanium Goat and I think Kifaru tipis are built of 1.35 as well.

How do these mids perform under snow loads? How about during extended high winds?

They seem like the perfect shelter for below-treeline and lake-skiing trips. But then again, sometimes things that seem too good to be true are.

Comments? I wish I could find someone who owned one of these!

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I hear mixed things from alpinists on the pyramids in nasty winter conditions. Some LOVE them and others are a little more nonplussed. It seems if you dig them into the snow you're pretty set in high winds but otherwise they aren't quite as good as some of the bomber 4 season shelters. Either way I think I'm going to find out because I'm going to pick up a BD Megalight with my REI 20% coupon.

Victor Karpenko
    BPL Member

@viktor

Locale: Northern California

I have used in for the past 5 years. I have not used it above treeline, but it has been a few good windy storms that dumped up to 2 feet of snow. If was pretty bullet proof. The only thing we did was keep the heavy Sierra snow from bulding up to thick. I have the 10 x 10 version which provides enough room to dig in and provide seating inside and still have a sleeping platform.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 143 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools