Topic

Best lightweight winter tent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Best lightweight winter tent?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 143 total)
  • Author
    Bruce .

@3pinner

I'm in the market for a single or double wall winter shelter for one or two. Looking at the Hillenberg Atko, or Big Sky tents.
    I hike east coast lowlands, would expect light to moderate snow loads. (no more than a foot or so. I tend to pick the most sheltered spots anyway.

Any suggestions?
    What do you use?
    Thanks

John McLuckie
    BPL Member

@j-mcluckie

Locale: SE Atlantic Coast

I've had a Stephenson's Warmlite 2R tent for years. Not freestanding, but total weight counting poles and stakes is 2.5 lbs. It's rated as a 4 season, 2 person tent and has silvered reflector material on the inside. It's been great for me. I blew out a zipper once in 10 years ( my fault entirely) and they repaired it at no cost.

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

I've used the Akto for many years in the Scottish Highlands, which are wet and windy and have long hours of darkness in winter. It has stood up to strong winds and snowfall of a foot or so. Because it has a single hoop the ends can be buried by drifting snow so I wouldn't recommend it for areas where several feet of snow might fall. A point I like is that I can pitch in a few minutes even when wearing mitts. It also has a large vestibule for cooking and gear storage. Headroom is fine for me at 5'8" but not so good for a six footer.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Chris given the conditions you describe, how would you compare the Mountain Equipment AR Ultralite II over the Atko?

I use trekking poles so the advantage of the AR Ultralite II is I can use poles. BTW i am a long time user of the Macpac Microlight so am not adverse to single hoop double skin tents.

Thanks

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

Roger, I've used the AR Ultralite in winter too and it isn't as stable as the Akto and the vestibules aren't as big. The long side deforms in strong winds. It's a good tent but I prefer the Akto for winter.

Steven Nelson
    BPL Member

@slnsf

Locale: Northern California

I've used the Big Sky Evolution 2P several times in winter and found it fine for moderate conditions, not good in strong winds and heavy snow loading (the open mesh lets in lots of spindrift; the poles can slip and collapse under snow loads). The single-wall model might be a better bet. In non-stormy conditions, though, it's a worthy and roomy winter shelter.

I understand that the Akto is not great with snow loading – a foot of snow might collapse it. I have a larger Hilleberg dome tent and am really happy with it…but it's way out of the range of consideration for this site and your usage.

The Black Diamond Firstlight is worth a look – quite light, breathable, can handle a decent bit of snow loading and stronger winds than I'd have guessed (on the same trip that flattened my Evolution 2P, the Firstlight did great).

I also snow camp with a number of people that are pleased with the GoLite Hex and other pyramid or teepe style shelters (spindrift can be an issue with those, too, depending on how you set them up).

Bibler and Integral Designs of course have tents that are a good match with more severe conditions if you don't mind a bit of extra weight. Probably overkill for where you'll be camping.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

For one person shelter in spots where trees are available, I'm happy in a hammock. Easy setup (no snow platform packing), no problem with snow loading on the angled and suspended tarp, and my Hennessy Hammock can be collapsed into a sling chair while cooking and organizing. Just food for thought.

Bruce .

@3pinner

Thanks for the suggestions, didnt think I was going to get any, but I will look at all of those.
    Almost nabbed an Atko on EBAy, but was a day too late!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Did you consider pyramid or similar shapes like the golite hex, oware pyramd, MSR twin peaks?

eric blumensaadt

@300winmag

The Hilleberg AKTO double wall tent is THE pinnacle of solo winter tents. I like their Jannu dome for 2-person tents.
    But…these tents, being the best and being made in Europe, are pricey.

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

I'll second the vote for the Akto. An outstanding design.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

I like my Hilleberg Unna for winter camping. It weighs a bit more than the Atko but has much more room inside. Hilleberg traded a vestibule for inside space. I'm 6'4" and can sit up easily inside. Outstanding workmanship and durability, as in all Hillebergs.

tim davis

@davis2001r6

I go with a Black Diamond over any Big Sky tent, assuming you can even get one with the year plus waiting list with them.

I love my lighthouse tent, I haven't had any weather that it couldn't handle when some other tents had poles snap or were flattened and had to hold them up.

Scott Toraason

@kimot2

Nice to hear about the Unna, I just ordered one for the same reason. I discovered that 27 square feet is perfect for myself and all my gear to be stored inside plus I like the extra room to sit up.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

I hoping that it will be the Bibler Tripod Bivy if light snow loading is expected (i don't yet own this bivy, so any comments for the cognescenti would be apperciated).

When little or no snow is expected, i prefer the ID eVENT Unishelter. At 31oz it's pretty light. It's small footprint and height allows it to pitched on small patches of bare ground. No need to plant a whole bunch of snow anchors (just one can do the trick). Melting snow if the weather is horrible is a problem though. The lack of a footend hoop means that any snow can start to compress loft of the sleeping bag.

Ok. It's a bivy and not a tent, so maybe it doesn't count.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The Hilleberg Jannu gets my vote for a 2 man tent due to its light weight, rigid aerodynamic shape, good ventilation, EASE OF SETUP, nice vestibule and highest quality I've ever seen in a tent.

UPDATE: Now I'm waiting for TarpTent's new Scarp 2 (Mark II, W/the longer fly). Henry Shires sez it's as wind-worthy as my Moment, which easily withstood a full of night high winds a few weeks ago at 11,550 ft. in the Rockies.

With the Scarp 2's dual vestibules it makes for more outside storage space (packs & overboots) and leaves space for cooking in foul weather. And the roof and bottom ventilation looks good too.

Eric

eric levine

@ericl

Locale: Northern Colorado

I've had good luck with my BD (nextec)firstlight tent. Strickly 1-person in winter though.

When cooking inside and at other times, I've had condensation on a wall, but never on the entire tent yet, which is good.

I've discovered that condensation on a single-wall breathable tent sets up somewhat of a bad cycle, whereby the wetted area stops transmitting vapor, which in turn causes more condensation.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Bruce, like you, I was also researching this four season tent purchase. After hours of reading and bouncing tent poles in showrooms I decided on the BD FirstLight. It is NOT the lightest, strongest, largest, cheapest, most water resistant, etc.. BUT, it does well in ALL those categories, and sheds snow well, so it had the highest "overall score" in my subjective and objective analysis.
    Mine cost $230 and weighs only 1200grams. If I get the $130 carbon poles it would weigh about 1kg.

Hopefully this tent will replace three items on my shelf; a bivy, a zelt(emergency tent), and my dedicated footprint/fly tent. Ill report back.
    BD FirstLight in Epic

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

Check out the Golite Hex. I have used it as my primary shelter in the snow, and it is great in the winter. Plenty of room for one or two and is a very strong shelter. They have some positive reviews on this website about it. It is floorless which allows you to dig into the snow to create even more room for yourself. I have been very pleased with it, and the weight is great compared to most other winter options.

Stephenson tents are also very time-tested tunnel tents and many people praise them heavily. However I have not used them.

James Watts

@james481

Locale: Sandia Mountains

>I hoping that it will be the Bibler Tripod Bivy if light snow loading is expected (i don't yet own this bivy, so any comments for the cognescenti would be apperciated).

I'm an owner of the Bibler Tripod, and it really is a bomber bivy. Once you seal up the seams, I'm pretty sure you could ride out a hurricane in that thing and still be warm and dry. I got mine NIB from a friend for $50, and have been quite happy with it, minus the 2+ pounds weight. However, I'm not sure that I'd spend $300 on one.

Anyways, to answer your question, I haven't yet used my Tripod in the snow, but the three pole design should shed snowloading pretty well. Plus, you can always "flap" the bivy a little from inside to knock snow off the top if it's really coming down. I'll be using it tomorrow night for a 10,000ft bivouac in about 4 feet of snow sans tarp or other cover, but there isn't any snowfall in the forecast, so I'm not sure I'll have a better answer about snowloading for you after, but I'll report back and tell you how it does otherwise.

James Watts

@james481

I'll second (fifth?) the suggestion of the GoLite Hex. While it's a pretty great shelter in any season, it really shines in winter (when it's easier to find a flat spot large enough to pitch the thing… it's HUGE!) when the weather is coming in. You can pitch it quickly and without hassle (no trying to thread poles through a fabric sleeve that's flapping in the wind), plus you can put all your gear under the tent body before you pitch it, keeping everything nice and dry while you set up the shelter. Also, you can adjust the tie-outs from inside the tent, so you can keep a nice taught pitch all night while staying dry, no matter how much rain or snow is coming down outside.

One caveat with this (or any) "tipi tent" is that it is only as strong as the anchors it is attached to. Recently I read somewhere online (can't remember where) about a Hex that stood most of the night through 80 or 100 MPH (I think) winds, until one of the stakes ripped up… there goes the tent… so this could be a pontential consideration in the winter when establishing bomber snow anchors can be pretty time consuming, but only if you're expecting a killer storm.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Which seams need to be sealed? I would guess that the ToddTex-2-ToddTex seams are taped. Are there ToddTex-2-Nylon/Poly seams that require sealing (top and bottom fabrics interface)? Or, zipper seams?

James Watts

@james481

> Which seams need to be sealed? I would guess that the ToddTex-2-ToddTex seams are taped. Are there ToddTex-2-Nylon/Poly seams that require sealing (top and bottom fabrics interface)? Or, zipper seams?

Actually, all the seams come from the factory seam taped (quite well I might add), so sealing probably isn't really needed, but the manufacturer recommends sealing all the seams as a redundant measure, and I tend to agree. I never used the bivy before sealing the seams, so I can't say for sure, but in any event, I haven't had any problems with leaking seams.

ETA: Now that I think about it, there may be one spot on the bivy, where the "Bibler" tag is sewn on, that isn't taped, so you'd probably want to seal at least that either way. I'm not totally sure on this, though. Memory ain't what it used to be! :-)

M W

@mwigmani

I'm also in the market for a solo tent for mountaineering use; the Hilleberg Atko has been my focus so far, but I'm concerned about it's durability in a storm in an above-treeline situation.

Sierra Designs seems to have discontinued the Solomente, which looked promising, but right now the two tents that look the best to me aren't available yet:

Mountain Hardwear Bunker 1 (1-person tent in the EV2 style)

http://www.summithut.com/catalog/remap/product.asp/DeptID/478/SortOrder/1/pfid/24405/

Black Diamond One Shot

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/tentdetail.cfm/BD187

Unfortunately I haven't yet seen any field reviews of these tents.

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

From what I've seen in BC, the Akto is only "the pinnacle of winter tents" if you're camping in moderate weather.

That is to say… "it's fine, as long as it doesn't snow a too much.&quot

;Akto in snow

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 143 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools