Topic

Rab down sleeping bags at least 60% off

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Rab down sleeping bags at least 60% off

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    Hu Ai
    BPL Member

@huai1

One more question – is this bag rated to 0C or 0F?

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

Would anyone be willing to post a couple of these bags to oz for me? I would be happy to pay for all postage packaging and a bit more. It cost $165 to post the bags here using that site.

Alternatively does anyone know of a company other than hopshopgo.com that posts stuff through to oz?

Cheers,

Jeremy.

zorobabel frankenstein
    BPL Member

@zorobabel

Locale: SoCal

Andrei, the endurance fabric should be better at keeping outside moisture from getting the down wet.

Hu Ai
    BPL Member

@huai1

Thanks. I didn't realize that quantum top bag and quantum 800 are differnet bags at first.

So can anyone tell me the difference between Quantum Top Bag: http://www.departmentofgoods.com/rab-quantum-top-bag

and Quantum Top Bag AR:
    http://www.departmentofgoods.com/rab-quantum-top-bag-ar

AR seems like a steal at $80 and both have the same specs from what I can tell.

Brad Walker

@brawa

It looks like the AR version has a Primaloft footbox (instead of down) and a hood. The non-AR is all down fill and doesn't have a hood.

Tyson Marshall
    BPL Member

@sheepngeese

Locale: Ventura County (formerly PNW)

David,

What temperatures would you feel comfortable, say, without further insulation. How narrow is it?

Cheers.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The AR version may also have a pad sleeve. The top bag being sold probably does not, but others will have to answer if it does or not. If it does not, RAB must have added a couple ounces of down over the earlier versions which is never a bad idea.

Hu Ai
    BPL Member

@huai1

AR has a sleeve based on this review:

http://www.petesy.co.uk/rab-quantum-top-bag-ar-review/

Answered my own question, no sleeve on the original bag according to review found here

http://www.buachaille.com/p1022-3-26/Down-Sleeping-Bags/Rab-Quantum-Top-Bag.html

Noel Tavan
    BPL Member

@akatsuki_the_devil

Similar to the question regarding the top bag. I am 5'7"… will it fit me well?
    Which one would you recomment between the Rab Quantum Top Bag and Rab Quantum Top Bag AR? Which one is lighter I guess?

Thanks!

Hu Ai
    BPL Member

@huai1

According to reviews:
    Top Bag 430 g, no sleeve, no hood, mesh bottom, full down insulation
    Top Bag AR: 550 g, has sleeve, hood, solid bottom, primaloft insulation under feet and head

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Andrei, it was only the first year or so top bag that had the mesh bottom. The 2008 version had a solid pertex quantum bottom but no sleeve. Just to clarify.

Hu Ai
    BPL Member

@huai1

John – how is the top bag supposed to be secured to the pad if it doesn't have a sleeve?

Bobby Lee

@rblee

Jeremy – check out these guys for shipping

http://ultraliteoutfitters.com/international.html

Wild Exped
    BPL Member

@bankse

Locale: OZ

Have you used that site? Has anyone?
    Jeremy, you could try shipito.com

Royal Magnell

@blueman

Locale: Northern CA

I bought the AR Topbag from department of gear. It's 20 oz, has a hood, a pad sleeve and a mostly synth footbox (bottom and very end are synth). I'm not sure how warm it'll be and I wish it was a few oz lighter, but it looks like a sweet little bag. I'm hoping it'll be good into the 30's F.

Hu Ai
    BPL Member

@huai1

I decided to give the top bag a shot for $103. I've never used a top bag before so this will be a new experience. I'm going to try either using a neoair inside of it. If that doesn't work I may sew velcro straps or a minimalistic sleeve to the bottom.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Department of Goods Screenshot

Brad Walker

@brawa

These are still on steep and cheap often and prices seem to be going down. Last night the summit Alpine 400 was on sale for $100 and I couldn't help hit snag it. Hoping its a more legitamite 20 degree bag than my sub kilo.

That top bag is still tempting me though…

Noel Tavan
    BPL Member

@akatsuki_the_devil

So I am looking for something lighter than my 29oz sub kilo. I have been eyeing the top bags and was wondering if there was something a little warmer at that range.

Also, if I decide to go for the top bag (15oz) or top bag AR (20oz). What else should I buy to be eligibe for the $40 off. What did you guys spend it on?

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

According to a PDF received from the American offices of Rab, the Rab "Summit Alpine Series" bags have Pertex Endurance outers, Pertex Microlight inners, 750+ fill in the top, and 560+ fill in the bottom. (The actual language is: "Based (sic) filled with superior quality European duck down fill power 560+"). I imagine these numbers correspond to 850+ and 650+ in US measurements.

The "Quantum Endurance Series" have Pertex Endurance outers, Pertex Quantum inners, and 750+ goose down (perhaps equivalent to 850+ US) throughout.

Note that the Quantum Endurance 800 is listed as weighing 3 lbs. 1 oz, and the QE 400 as 2 lbs 1 oz. Of that 16 oz. difference, 400 grams, or .4 x 2.2 x 16 =14.1 oz, approx., are accounted for by the increased quantity of down. This is a pretty amazing ratio, I think. Hmmm.

Has anyone had any experience with the QE series? (They'd be used, I imagine, in serious winter camping.)

Eric Botshon
    BPL Member

@ebotshon

Whenever I need to spend some extra money for free shipping or some other promotion I stock up on mountainhouse or other foods I would normaly buy.

Brad Walker

@brawa

Just got it in the mail today. Unfortunately, it is 560+ fill in the bottom and 750+ on top as described up-thread (saw after I ordered). The description says it's 850 fill :

http://www.departmentofgoods.com/rab-summit-alpine-400-sleeping-bag-25-degree-down

I bought it off SAC so I'll contact them and see what they'll do about it.

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

Brad, you might want to check if those down quality numbers are European standard numbers. 750 Euro is more like 825 to 850 US, from what I've heard. It is weird that the down in the bottom isn't even goose down (according to the US Rab distributor). But maybe duck down resists compression better than goose down?

Brad Walker

@brawa

Yea, the numbers are Euro but 560 is still only 600ish US (according to this http://www.crux.uk.com/en/sleeping-bags.php?info=36). According to the US Law tag on the bag, both sides are goose down. Top is 96/4 down/feather and bottom is 90/10.

For $100 it's still a decent deal I guess. My Sub Kilo is 14 oz of 750 US down, while this is 14.1 oz (400g) total fill at MAYBE the same average fill power. Basically, I was hoping to get a warmer bag and it's not (probably). I sent SAC an email earlier so we'll see what happens. If they won't exchange it I hope they at least reimburse me for shipping since it was mis-advertised.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools