Topic

Hiking anyone??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Hiking anyone??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

That's wicked you guys take the effort to organize these sort of trips.

If I don't get my act together and end up on the JMT around that time, I'd love to tag along. Are you guys bringing your fishing rods?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

On fishing Scott, I don't think so. Though of course anyone can!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

See what happens, I go to work and I'm gone for 12 hrs or so and there's already 2 pages on this tread, COOL! Personally I feel comfortable with 8-10 miles a day, so I can soak up all the scenery, I can do more, I just like that pace. Looks like it's coming together, nice! Jack

Galen Watson
    BPL Member

@galencharles

Locale: Sierras

I'd love to join in, if you have the room.

Rick Horne
    BPL Member

@rick778

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell

I am also interested.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Spoke with Jack this morning. If the ineterest is what it is, then we will cap this trip at 8 people. We are about to start the whole process of getting a permit and a campsite for Saturday night at Onion Valley. As of right now, there are spaces available

So far there is a total of 7 with interest that have replied to this thread

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Short story. Renee says no. Have fun everyone. Thanks for the invite.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Ken, Jack and I spoke about you today (speaking well of you my friend!) and we were hoping you could come down for this! Thanks for the reply!

Rick and Galen, I have you guys down. We have capped this at a total of 8 hikers so one more spot is open. Speak now or forever hold your tongue.

I will get a campsite at the Onion Valley trailhead once everything is finalized.

Jack and I are slow hikers and please keep in mind, that this is a fun trip with great sights! First night camp most likely be Golden Bear Lake which will be about 13 miles.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

"Tyndall Creek is all over the place, and the JMT crosses it once directly south of Forester Pass, and another at least five miles south of there. So, your camp is not obvious to me"

Bob, Shepherds Pass trail and JMT junction is what I speak of. There is a ranger station there too. That sets us up for a 4.3 mile climb over Forester Pass. That way we can set ourselves up to camp at Vidette Meadows (one of my fave meadows in the Sierras) and out via Kearsarge that morning. The hike out should not be too bad at all. For all of us that have a drive with high mileage, it makes it much easier!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Bob, Shepherds Pass trail and JMT junction is what I speak of."

That is the same answer that you gave yesterday, and I still believe you.

I'm not sure that it is desired to camp near any ranger station. At a minimum, a ranger would prowl around to hassle hikers about bear canisters.

–B.G.–

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

In that area, I am open to camp wherever are hearts may sleep. Just a suggestion. While hiking I do not deal with specifics because things change. HOWEVER, I do make sure that the circus continues on each day :)

This is like clockwork, I have NO worries. I am just setting us up for an exit plan.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"In that area, I am open to camp wherever are hearts may sleep."

Ken, Bob, et al,

If you'd like some solitude and beautiful views of Tyndall, Tawny Point, Kaweah Peaks Ridge, and part of The Great Western Divide, you might want to consider camping by the long narrow lake at the south base of Diamond Mesa, at ~11,700+ feet. There are excellent, seldom used campsites on the north side of the lake, and I can guarantee you will not be disturbed by either bears of humans. It is a far better bet than any site I have heard discussed so far. I use it when I am going over the Pass in one day as a way station on the way to The Upper Kern Basin or The Great Western Divide. From there you can travel easy cross country over to the JMT and on to Forester Pass. I have used it many times down through the years and have never seen hide nor hair of any 2 or 4 footed creatures, and it is less than 1/2 mile off the Tyndall Creek trail coming down from Shepherd Pass. There is, however, copious sign of furry lil' critters in the form of scat, but they are not a problem. Just a thought.

Have a great trip, y'all.

Matt B

@andwerock

I'm in if there's still slots available.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Matthew, we just added two more today prior to your post. Sorry about not getting in here to post this sooner. I have been working all day. If you like, you have two options. Keep and eye on this and if someone cancels, then you are more than welcome to join. The second option would be for you to get a single permit and just join us. Let me know if any of these two works.

FWIW, each year we have a BPL meet up. Last year we had around 50+ and we do it around Jan-Feb. Since you live in Santa Cruz you are more than welcome to participate in this also.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Folks this trip is closed. We have 8 people that have expressed interest. For those that have posted on here wanting to go this trip, could you please confirm so that we can get an official headcount? Please, and thank you!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Tom thanks for your suggestion. I will check the spot out on my map. Sounds fantastic!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Fees…………………….groan

The fee per hiker for a reservation is $5 per person and a campground at Onion Valley costs a total of $16. So that is $2 per person.

If each hiker that will be going on this hike could please have money available when we all meet up that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I want to go."

Tom's idea is not so bad. It is off-trail, and that should not be much of a problem. Otherwise it would save some mileage, which could be good or bad. Being that far off-trail where the furry critters are can be OK, especially if they are good to eat.

–B.G.–

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

So we stand at for attendees:
    Jack Elliot
    Ken Helwig
    Bob Gross
    Rick Horne
    Adam Hemphill
    Galen Watson

Rick Horne
    BPL Member

@rick778

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell

I am still in

Adam Hemphill

@ahemphill

Locale: Bay Area

I'm in if I can get down there. (Anyone coming from a Caltrain-accessible location?)

Galen Watson
    BPL Member

@galencharles

Locale: Sierras

I'm a definite go.

Galen

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Adam, there is a Caltrain terminal in San Jose that I am sure you could be picked up at. Though I am not sure how weekend service is since all the cuts we have been having

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

My other 2 are
    Andy Glass
    John Klawikowski
    These 2 are 80% sure so if we do have an opening it might be one of these. I'll keep everyonr posted. Jack

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

If I can get a walk in permit I may try to meet up with you guys… if you don't mind a tag along. If the permit don't work out I can always head back out to the Whites and mill around.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools