Topic

Poo Trowels

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Poo Trowels

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Do I need it? No. Is it awesome? Yes."

And that, my friend, is more than good enough for me!

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

I can see the appeal of not carrying such a specialized item, but in my experience in the Sierras there is no way I could dig the recommended six inch deep hole by using my heel or a stick. And turning over a rock would rarely get me six inches down.

Plus, when you have to go you sometimes find the ground has smallish rocks and/or roots and it takes some real hacking, chopping, and prying to make a proper hole.

For me the standard orange plastic trowel works great, and I wouldn't leave home without it. I guess I'll just have to use it to eat my freezer bag cooked dinner to fit in with the ultralight crowd! : )

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Agreed – I too have read a bunch of methods here and have tried testing them and run into issues.

Rock turnover – not deep enough. I could see turning over a rock and then digging as an effective concealment technique, however.
    Stick – takes a really long time to get wide and deep enough.
    Heel – Difficult to get deep enough and with my trail runners I end up with a bunch of dirt in my shoes I have to clean out. I believe this is partially/completely due to the fact around here I need to strike hard enough to cut through roots/moss/etc which causes a fair amount of spray. I could see this working well with traditional boots however.

For those that use a tent stake I'd like to know how long it takes you to dig.

Just got a big dig myself – came yesterday so haven't had a chance to try it.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

The Big Dig works great! I love mine!

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

Does the lack of pointiness of the Big Dig make it hard to penetrate tough turf or dig into rocky soil? I would think my pointy orange plastic trowel packs more pounds per inch when stabbing at tough soil and roots. How's the Big Dig working for you?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

The orange trowel can break, whereas Rob's Big Dig won't. The thin metal will cut through small roots fine, and there really is no need for a pointed end on the Big Dig. An added bonus is that you will score extra "cool points" when comparing gear with strangers on the trail.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Doug says,
    "I would think my pointy orange plastic trowel packs more pounds per inch "

You're absolutely right! The orange plastic trowel does indeed pack more pounds per inch! :D

Seriously, rocks don't phase it, and it goes thru fine roots with no problem.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You can use your trowel as a stake, a trowel and a shoe horn. Triple use. The Montbell one is just fractionally heavier than a SMC snow stake once you remove the webbing loop. I'm sure the BIg Dig works well too. I've broken too many of the plastic ones in that concrete like soil in southern CA.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> The orange trowel can break, whereas (Titanium) won't.
    > The thin metal will cut through small roots fine,
    +1 on both (from field experience).

Cheers

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I'm sure the plastic trowel can break. Heck, I've broken titanium items.

That said, I've been using the same orange plastic trowel for decades, not counting a few times I've tried out snow stakes. I did cut the end off the handle to shorten/lighten it slightly (mostly to fit in the pocket it goes to), but it's never broken nor failed to dig a decent hole. It's easy to find at night (and day) being orange and I think it conveys what it is when I leave it stuck in the ground adjacent to our out-of-camp, multiuse latrine groove. It's not heavy, and not light I agree, but it digs better than a snow stake in my experience, both for speed and effectiveness.

I think it was 3 bucks and I'm pretty sure the same orange plastic trowel is still sold.

I use the amortized savings to justify my beryllium camp stove.

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

I like the Big Dig, I got one recently and used it in Big Sur for 8 days last week, which tends to have rocky soil. You have to do a lot more scraping when you hit rocks, and you can't really pry them out unless you use your hands, which is how I did it, but other than that it's fine. Also has a nice secondary use of protecting the cheap soda bottle holding alcholol fuel in my backpack side pocket, since its curve is about the same as the 20 oz soda bottles (and I definitely don't trust that bottle on its own over a long trip). And you can use the tyvek envelope it comes in as a case.

Without tyvek: 15.7 gm
    with tyvek: 19.2 gm

weights vary since these are handmade items.

I don't really think the lack of a point matters, when you hit rocks the point isn't going to help you much anyway.

I'd used ordinary garden trowels before, which are without any question superior in every way except size and weight. Last normal one I used, about 4.5 oz, I did pick up a plastic one, that was lighter, I think about 3oz, but I never used it. If I were given the task of digging a larger hole for a group I think I'd just bring a real trowel and call it a day though.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I've found if you can hold it a bit until you find a gopher, you can give him a nice gift using the soft dirt pushed out of his hole.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Or the mouse tunnels found at high altitude!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

You two are deranged! Must be the economy…Or is this what ladies do when they hike solo, when they think nobody will know? What about it, Kat, Diana V., is this the way it is? Dr. Ide, would you be so kind as to hold a counselling session with these lost souls? We must get them under control before PETA finds out what they do out there.

Edit–it's PETA, not PITA, silly

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"We must get them under control before PITA finds out what they do out there."

It certainly borders on animal cruelty.

–B.G.–

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Edit–it's PETA, not PITA, silly"

You mentioned Kat P., so I think PITA was correct……

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

I can't speak for anyone else, but I use my titanium poo trowel.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

At times it's just perfect. Plus I battle gophers at work and at home all the time , so there!
    Not that often, but yeah…

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I like that we are talking p++p here!

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I've broken two orange trowels, not worth having for Sierra trips. I had been using a wide tent stake I modified slightly, the Big Dig I have now is only a tiny bit lighter, but easier on the hand and protects small gear in the outside pocket on my pack.
    Duane

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Locale: PNW

Aluminum Stake wrapped in some cord. The cord provides a great handle, and is also functional if I need some rope (which are circumstances I've definitely run into before and it has saved my ass) and the stake works for my tent setup very well. :)

MYOG Trowel

Robert Birch
    BPL Member

@offtrack

Locale: Bushed

DIY is hard to beat for price, weight and functionality. At 15g and 70c material cost in my favourite DIY material (Al-u-Drillium), this started life as 20cm of 15 x 15 x 1.4 mm angle from any hardware store and ended up (flared to 2 cm width in the digging end) as a multi-functional trowel / back-up peg. Like all lightweight gear you can break it if you want (use it as a crowbar), or use it sensibly for a very long life. For the latter, first dig vertically the required hole shape for your deposit, then spade out the loosened soil / cut roots / excavated stones. You do not need Kubota dimensions for this purpose – if you miss the target, push the deposit in with a stick after the event. Depth is more important – 100-150 mm (4-6") for rapid recycling without risk of infecting and offending those who pass nearby later.

The sharpened end cuts small roots. The retained (but widened) V shape helps with strength, and with lifting out the soil. The holes in the grip portion are for the weight-obsessive (holes in the spade end would make about as much sense as holes in a bucket). I did not need to heat-anneal the angle before hammering it to the desired shape in a few stages over a few minutes.

DIY 15g trowel

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

Here all of you have been talking about catholes, digging catholes, and implements for digging catholes for months, and I missed it. Gotta be more vigilant.

Anyway, I can't resist some comments now that I found the thread.

First, I appreciate all the kind comments here and elsewhere from the many BPL'ers who use and approve my Original and Big Dig titanium trowels. Glad you like 'em so much. I'm still making them one at a time, by hand, in my basement. So if anyone was wondering, they are made in the USA. Go to QiWiz.net to order if you are so inclined.

You might ask yourself, what kind of trowel does Rob use? Well actually, I use a one-of-a-kind hybrid that's a little bigger than an Original and a little smaller than a Big Dig. Other than the size, it's made just like my other trowels. I have more than 1000 trail miles hiking with it, and it's still going strong. Here's a photo:

mytrowel

OK, enough on my gear. Now for some comments about the issue of backcountry human waste disposal. Yes, I mean POUP! We can also euphemistically call these "deposits".

Implements: Whatever works for you to dig your cathole is not important. So if you find that your boot heel or a stick does the job, or a plastic trowel, or a tent stake, that is just fine. In my experience in the Eastern and Western USA, I frequently encounter soils that I could not possibly excavate with my shoe or a stick in any reasonable period of time. I also tried and broke numerous plastic trowels, which was one of the reasons I developed my own tougher titanium trowel. Even a sturdy, heavy, garden trowel that works well in most soils does not work well in dense grassy turf. For that you need a much thinner sharper option, like mine. A tent stake, especially if sharpened, can be good at loosening soil in your cathole, but in my experience takes much longer to dig with because (unless you use your hands), you need something wider to scoop the loosened soil out of your hole.

Advanced Cathole Techniques: In digging a cathole, the whole point of it is to help your waste decompose as quickly as possible, and not contaminate water sources, the trail, or a campsite. So site selection is important. Hence the recommendation to be 200 feet (70 big steps) from water, trail, and campsite. The advice to dig 6 inches down is sound in forest duff with a deep layer of organic biologically active soil. Where topsoil is thinner, you still want to make your deposit in, and mix it well with this biologically active layer, so this may mean adjusting your cathole depth. Deposits made in mineral soil will take much longer to decompose. TP, if you use it, should either be mixed really well with your deposit, water, and soil or packed out. To do this, use a stick, or even a longish rock, not your trowel. This will result in better and faster decomposition. This technique is known as making POUP SOUP, and the full recipe is included with every one of my trowels.

What about the rock-moving method? I've certainly had to go in an area with little or no biologically active soil around, and just rocks from the size of big sand grains up to big boulders. In this situation, moving a rock to create a hole to put your deposit into is sometimes the best you can do, but I would always try to see if I had a better option. Usually you can at least find a bit of biologically active soil to mix in to your hole, or dig further down after the rock is moved, or something of that nature.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Rob, will having one of your Big Dig trowels make catholing so much fun that my boyfriend will agree to hike somewhere there is no pit toilet? He says that after doing the Wonderland Trail, he doesn't want to hike anywhere for more than a couple of days where he has to dig a cat-hole! That lets out a lot of territory!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"he doesn't want to hike anywhere for more than a couple of days where he has to dig a cat-hole!"

Let me get this straight… Two days of cat-holing is OK, but more than two days is not OK? Yes, there are therapists who can deal with that.

–B.G.–

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools