Topic

Poo Trowels

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Poo Trowels

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Casey Balza

@equals

I was wondering does anyone carry poo trowels? I have a 1 oz snow tent stake for a trowel. I was wondering if I should ditch it to save 1 oz of weight? Help me out Ultra lighters! I want to join the gang.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I also have a one-ounce aluminum SMC snow stake that works good. It kind of depends on what kind of surface you dig in, assuming that the stake gets used on the shelter.

If you are in loose sand, then all you need is a boot heel. If you are in hard-packed soil, you probably need a metal implement of some sort.

–B.G.–

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

If you're most often hiking where there are plenty of rocks, just turn over a rock that's partially embedded in the ground. Instant cathole. Thanks to Eric for 'learning me that' on the Teton Crest hike last year!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I have a Montbell trowel that weighs a couple of ounces….I really don't notice any weight savings by not taking it.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Ken, A tent stake works great as a Poo Trowel–Especially the MSR Ground Hog. Multi-use!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

"…just turn over a rock that's partially embedded in the ground. Instant cathole."

Yes, my favorite technique, then roll the rock back into position… or borrow from the guy in your group who actually packs a trowel- someone has to be the moocher.

@ Casey,

I've never really "needed" a poo trowel, taking a few extra seconds to find a stick or rock to dig a small cathole is practical enough, even in hard soil. Personally, the poo trowel is somewhat of an unnecessary item, more of a convenience, one that I don't feel the need to bring. Weight savings isn't the issue behind my decision to leave a trowel behind, rather the elimination of extraneous items from my pack, the simplification of the process, so let your style and preference of gear on the trail be the deciding factor, not the arbitrary 1oz. weight savings according to some silly UL dogma. If a poo trowel somehow enhances or maximizes your experience, then by all means, pack it!

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

The stake idea was new to me as one of Mike Clelland's tips. Since I already carry a couple Groundhogs it saves me a few ounces and I feel really silly for not thinking of it.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

But Jay…then I have poo on my tent stake…the smell would keep me awake at night!

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Might want to stir it less…

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I also carry a SMC snow stake, with a small loop of BPL cord on it. I use it as a trowel first, and as an extra stake if a tent stake is lost, bent, etc. That is, it's ready if needed and not already used as a tent stake.

However, I sometimes don't take it, as the PNW soil is pretty easy to dig into with a stick and has lots o' rocks.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

NIX!!!

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I also have the Montbell trowel. 1.4 ounces.

There's no way a MSR Groundhog can even compare. With the size of the catholes I have to dig, I need something with more surface area to get the dirt out of the hole. It's well worth its weight for me.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"If you're most often hiking where there are plenty of rocks, just turn over a rock that's partially embedded in the ground. Instant cathole."

A technique tried and true. The ultimate in lightitude. I've never used any other method in the Sierra. I'm surprised it's not in Don C.'s book. Or is it?

The Cascades can be another matter, however. Lots of fibrous roots from heather, cedar, etc can make it a real hassle. Mostly we use our ice axes if we have 'em along. Barring that you can usually find a log to roll over, or even a stray rock. Worst case find a solid downed branch to use as a digging stick. I have never in my life found a need for a trowel.

Casey Balza

@equals

What about in the desert, would you need a trowel then? Isn't the ground in the desert really hard?

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

"…just turn over a rock that's partially embedded in the ground. Instant cathole"

Just be gentle putting the rock back… Don't drop it!

I use a tent stake or boot heel, but I'm going to have to try the "rock & roll duece" the next time nature calls.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

+1 on using the snow stake as a trowel and backup/additional tent stake. Around here there's not much chance of getting anywhere trying to dig with a stick or a boot heel. The snow stake works just as well as any trowel I've used, and I use it when I need to guy out my Moment in heavy wind.

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

One could always biffy in a jiffy. No need to dig a hole.

http://biffybag.com/how-it-works.htm

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Mont Bell Ti Handy Scoop.

1) I got it cheap
    2) Trail bling— I mean, geeze, a titanium pooper scooper!

I'm thinking about a Kabota. I could level campsites, move blow-downs, and ride it!
    Kabota potty trowel

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You do realize that the Montbell trowel is less than 2/10th of an ounce heavier than a SMC snowstake and has no holes, so you can really dig with it. Can use as a stake also. Cut the webbing off for instant weight savings!

Andrew Lush
    BPL Member

@lushy

Locale: Lake Mungo, Mutawintji NPs

Gday Dale,

Remember this: French whipping my potty trowel ?

I do, after all these years!

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I'm surprised nobody has cross referenced to this thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=47684
    Extra-lightweight TI potty trowels which can double as an extra stake, much lighter than the snow stake. I just got one!

Clifford Ritt
    BPL Member

@obxh2o

If you are in the desert, watch out for scorpions when you turn the rock over (voice of experience speaking).

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

Don't any of you use your nice, clean, light, long handled titanium eating sporks as your poo trowel? What happened to multi-purpose? That spork/poo-trowel can also function as a spare tent stake! : )

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

So far I have only been in one place where I couldn't just use my heel or a rock or stick to dig a poo hole. That place was in the himalaya. All this tight grass everywhere and the ground was so hard I couldn't dig a hole at all and all the rocks were too big to push over.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Easy:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=48171

I got the original. It.s .4oz on my scale. I've tested it in the field and it works well. Do I need it? No. Is it awesome? Yes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools