Topic

4 Season Ultra Light Extreme Weather Shelter System

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 4 Season Ultra Light Extreme Weather Shelter System

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 146 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

That’s one of the problems with Cuben Fiber. It has no stretch and can puncture. On the other hand, nylon fabric has lots of stretch, absorbs the energy, and bounces back.
    Mostly.

Cheers

Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

Right. So I think for my winter shelter sinnylon/polyester is a must…no cuben except for the vestibule

I can just imagine a caffin coffin…with a cuben vestibule and a polyester ground sheet…that is all I desire for in this world….(I’ve been looking at poly/vs nylon and poly seems like a better material for flys and for ground sheets)

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I’m only giving opinions based on my personal experience; but I have backed right away from SUL for Alpine winters.

Bad experiences in the past have convinced me to plan and pack for the very worst conditions that could happen in my AoO , at the best I have a little more comfort, at the worst I survive.

At their worst those SUL tents are more like large bivvy sacks, this is why we used to call them monkey coffins, all I think Roger is saying is that in bad conditions Strength and Simplicity and Stability become more important that base weight.

The combinations of 200klick wind gusts and metre + snowfalls are what sent me in this direction and for some reason or other these 1 in a 100 years storms seem to happen to me at least once each season and because mountain weather is not totally predictable you cannot assume good weather even if such is forecast

Hike your own hike naturally but I think the weights you are talking about are at least a decade away; maybe more and will probably use micro-reactive nanotechnology and while light may well be more bulky than current offerings

Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

All I want is Caffin’s tunnel!

I can just imagine a caffin coffin…with a cuben vestibule and a polyester ground sheet…that is all I desire for in this world….(I’ve been looking at poly/vs nylon and poly seems like a better material for flys and for ground sheets)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Dunno about the ‘coffin’ bit. The two of us LIVE in our tents. And quite comfortably too.

I think Roger is saying is that in bad conditions Strength and Simplicity and Stability become more important than base weight.
    Absolutely. Up there you can’t play fancy games with saving another 100 g. (Well, you can – at your risk.)
    These two photos were taken about 12 hours apart. The evening was lovely – if you ignore the cloud bank building up behind the Range. Overnight we had strong wind and machine gun hail for hours. In the morning – well, that’s the right hand photo. The hail and snow was still going when I took this photo.

Now, in some places you can count on this not happening – well, not likely to happen. But it CAN happen in the mountains. Someone did die not too far away from the tent site, many years ago.

This tent was modelled after the Olympus. The design works.

Cheers

Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

Send me the instructions if you dont have the time to make it

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Here is the link to the current model Olympus

It is neither UL or ultra modern but it does work and if you could substitute carbon fibre wands that would save a couple of hundred grams, titanium pegs another 50 g or so

I myself use the Minaret or I will until it dies in another season or two

https://www.macpac.com.au/equipment/tents/tramping-hiking-tents/olympus-alpine-tent.html

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

The Olympus uses aluminium poles – I think they are DAC. They are certainly heavier than carbon fibre. Macpac lent me an Olympus some years ago so I could try putting CF poles in it. This was not successful, for two reasons.

The first is that the Olympus poles are ‘pre-curved’ to fit the arch. The physics or metallurgy of the pre-curve is rather complex: you can do itonce and the poles are fine, but if you don’t do it the poles will eventually work-harden and break. Very complex. Anyhow, you can not pre-curve CF poles, and they won’t safely take that amount of bending.

So I tried putting elbows into the CF poles. Well, that worked, sort of, but the tent looked awful. The cut of the panels is NOT meant for elbows, and there were creases everywhere. A pity.

Cheers

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

“Send me the instructions if you dont have the time to make it”

Never mind the hundreds of hours you spent developing it and money to boot.

Chill out dude. You are not the first with these ‘revelations’. If money is no object to you, hire a designer and go your own road with all these ideas (that have all been thought of, built, tested, deemed not to work well enough to have the safety neccessary in said conditions)

with respect, i say to you: chill out. You are asking a man for tons of intellectual property in a non chalant manner. (Pretty callous, which im sure wasnt your intention, jus sayin…)

not meant to offen you or anyone, just have to say my unsolicited opinion.

Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

Umm that minaret looks awesome!

I really really like that tent. How does it compare to the olympus ?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Michael

I really really like that tent. How does it compare to the olympus ?
    You really, really need to read our BPL review of tunnel tents. So many of your questions are answered there.
    Briefly, the Minaret is NOT as stable as the Olympus. It has only 2 poles instead of 3.

Cheers

Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

Um I’m pretty sure, he has all of that under a patent does he not? I’m not asking for his int. property, guy. So you chill out. I was asking for the plans so that I can attempt to make one for myself since roger told me via email that time was his major issue, not money. Upon previously requesting the plans from him, he mentioned it was complicated and one would need to be an expert sewer or something along those lines.  From that I gathered his intent was to vet my ability to construct his design, before bothering to assemble and forward his plans, to someone they would be useless to. which makes sense.

This is believe was his only response to my request for plans. Never did he mention anything about int. property. or seemed offended that I wanted to see the designs. Asking him for years of R&D and Int. property would be me asking to buy the rights to his design or something…it is part of his (MYOG) Make Your Own Gear series, or am I mistaken?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Hit it up then, chief.

Dont forget to post your results.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think different people here possibly have different conceptions of “extreme”.  When I look at Rogers’ pictures, I think that’s more extreme than what I most have access and exposure to.  Living in the southeast of the US, we have mostly small mountains and moderate winter climate.

For myself, I generally don’t have to face powerful winds on a wind swept mountain with few to no trees, huge snow loads, or the like.

The main thing I have to be concerned with, is the occasional dipping slightly below 0* F and the like, or the constant wet and just above or just below freezing weather (which can be harsh/extreme in it’s own way).  I actually like this kind of colder weather though, because there are usually far less people out there then, and I get a better sense of solitude in these more crowded areas. We do get occasional large snow storms, but I try not to venture out then and they are rare around here.

So when I’m talking about modifying my tent–I’m mainly thinking of terms of adding some warmth, so I don’t have to be constantly bundled up or under covers. It would be nice to be able to strip down some and lounge a bit on those long, cold winter evenings.

I’m not recommending such modifications for Arctic, high alpine, or other more truly extreme conditions. Heck, the White Mountains of New Hampshire are usually at least 10 times more extreme than the usual conditions around here in winter (and I’m not sure that a cuben solomid would survive some of the more harsh conditions there).

So yep, “extreme” is relative.

Can someone explain to me why the latter modifications I’ve talked about are a bad idea in lieu of the above?  Will adding some foam+space blanket+UL liner, etc that can be removed, somehow be dangerous?  Will using a couple candles kill me with CO poisoning and/or likely burn the tent and me alive?
    I’m sincerely curious what exactly is wrong, other than it’s not usual thinking or approach?  Oh, I  well know the mantra that extra weight in a sleeping bag or quilt is much more efficient and I pretty much agree with that. For me, this is about short days and long nights, and a little extra lounging comfort. If it’s something I can just take off when not winter camping (and go back to a truly UL tent/set up), I really am having a hard time seeing any major downsides?

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I agree with Roger, the Minaret is a compromise, I use it because I solo 90% of the time and it save weight. Roger; I did think there were some new CF poles on the market that would take that curve or I’d not have mentioned it.

The Lightwave tent made from Cuben looks interesting but it wouldn’t work for me, too much ice shrapnel around me when the wind blows hard

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Justin I have made and used insulated tents before, they simply do not fit into the UL category for a space reason.

To work you need to allow a certain minimum space on either side of the insulating blanket, even if the insulation is RFL and very thin. But RFL simply isn’t a good insulation in tents on its own I found.

A little OT so if you want to start a new topic I’ll contribute my experience there

Anonymous
    Inactive

Re: hot tents. I had a set up like that for some years.  They are a fair amount of work and a more than a bit potentially dangerous.  Overall though, I do like them, but not so much for casual weekend trips.  I still have my titanium wood stove, and will be modifying my Oware pyramid tent for use with same, but I plan to keep the Ti stove in my bug out bag primarily (especially since finding out that Ti definitely wears out and gets brittle with use–didn’t know that when I originally bought it years ago).

For those casual trips, I much would prefer the ease and convenience of a couple candles and/or a little cooker plus insulation for warmth.

The really nice thing about real hot tents with stoves, pipes, etc–probably their primary benefit is not warmth per se, but the ability to dry things out well. Otherwise, they are extremely energy inefficient because of the severe lack of insulation.

Nope, when I’m cold, wet, and/or tired on a casual weekend trip, I don’t really want to be hunting around for significant amounts of dry’ish wood.
    Just light me up a couple of candles and I’ll slap some slippers on my feet…got to find a reason, a reason why my ideas are so wrong, got to find a reason why my money’s not all gone (fairly inexpensive project).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Edward,

I’ll just keep it brief.  As I prefaced my post originally, I said none of this could even be considered close to “UL”.

“To work you need to allow a certain minimum space on either side of the insulating blanket, even if the insulation is RFL and very thin. But RFL simply isn’t a good insulation in tents on its own I found.”

Yes, I’m aware and have talked about the need for some air space on either side.  Not sure what RFL is?  Is it the same as closed cell foam, because that’s what I’m most leaning towards (in combo with the space blanket).  CCF is pretty dang thermally efficient as an insulator for it’s given weight (which would be boosted with the space blanket).

It’s problem is bulk, but that’s where a small pulk comes in. Bulk is not a problem then.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I’ve read about the White Mountains, apart from the colder temperatures they seem like my normal

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Brief replies:
    No, my tents are not patented. 100 years of ‘existing art’ would prevent that! My designs are more in the nature of ‘fine tuning’.

Bendy CF tubing – if it would bend as much as the pre-curved poles on the Olympus, then I think it would be too weak to withstand a storm. I might be wrong, but …

Insulated tents – so many square metres of insulation would be needed. My gut feeling is that you could wrap that material around yourself several times for far better results. It’s an area thing.

For myself, I generally don’t have to face powerful winds on a wind swept mountain with few to no trees, huge snow loads, or the like.

But that is the fun of it!
    (Meant seriously – why else would we do it?)

Cheers

Anonymous
    Inactive

Some of the most extreme weather recorded on the Earth as been on or near the summit of Mt. Washington in the Whites.  200+ mph winds, arctic like temps, etc.

While I’ve hiked Mt. Washington and generally in the Whites a fair amount when I was younger (I’m originally from MA), I’ve never done so in winter, but it’s something that I hope to someday work towards skill and knowledge wise.

If I ever do, I’ll probably bring a tunnel tent. ; )

Anonymous
    Inactive

Roger, it’s not for lack of desire or interest, but lack of funds, time, and what’s most accessible.  The places I can drive to within a reasonable time, just aren’t that high or that extreme.  And flying is only something I do maybe once a year or every other year–usually with my spouse and ain’t no way she is traveling to very cold areas for vacation.

When we were still living in MA, we lived right on the border of New Hampshire, in central MA where there is a cold belt. Our last winter there, one day it got down to -17 F in the morning, not factoring wind chill, and her car wouldn’t readily start.  So goodbye MA and hello southeast–mostly because she didn’t want to deal with the winter up there anymore (that and family drama for us both).

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

There’s a video somewhere of the balcony of the restaurant on Mt W.

Tables, table cloth, cutlery, wine glasses.
    The wind starts blowing, getting stronger.
    The wine glasses go.
    The plates go.
    The cutlery goes.
    The tablecloth goes.
    The chairs roll away.
    Then the tables go.
    Amusing stuff.

We get winds a little bit like that. Sue has trouble standing up when the wind gets much over 100 kph. One saddle, we crawled across.

Cheers

Kevin B
    Spectator

@newmexikev

Locale: Western New Mexico, USA

Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

One user suggested I could use carbon fiber poles with the olympus to save weight…but that sounds exactly like what roger advised I not do. (Edit**just saw he commented on that, thanks roger)

I’m pretty sold on the olympus …unless someone could recommend to me something lighter, but just as solid (that doesnt have some kind of flaw)

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 146 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools