Adam wrote:
> In South Australia, almost all of my trips involve carrying rediculous amounts of water (bare minumum is starting with 3L), and all of them involve off-track and off-trail walking, through scrub that will tear alomst all UL and SUL packs and rainwear to pieces in minutes. The average walk length for me is about a week, unsupported.
> I know that there is no way a Gore Paclite 3 Jacket will stand up to Acacia sp. scrub, for example.
Ah, Adam, can I interest you in a really tough second hand GoreTex jacket which has only been through the NSW scrub a few times … :-) Our Acacia sp are not that sharp – pity about some of the rest though … ;-}
Believe it or not, I have been wearing a silnylon poncho/parka in some of our light scrub sometimes. The very smooth surface tends to slide over the scrub far more than the rough surface of the old Taslan GoreTex fabrics. That’s some of the time. If it does get a pinhole, the silnylon does NOT leak anywhere nearly as much as a punctured Goretex membrane. Holes in the GT membrane seem to GROW instantly.
However, I have to confess that sometimes I just put my raingear away and bash through the scrub in tough full-length unproofed nylon gear, with a good hat keeping my head and shoulders moderately sheltered. Sure, I get wet, but in heavy scrub I am usually working hard enough that I don’t get too cold. The hat is important: it blocks the rain from my head and a bit from my shoulders.
But thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions. Yep, working on it.
Cheers
Roger Caffin

