Topic

READERS – What do you want investigated in 2007?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable READERS – What do you want investigated in 2007?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

Hi everyone,
    Take a look at our

• 2006 Editorial Calendar. We’ve covered a lot of territory so far this year, with more great stuff coming! What would you like to see investigated that we haven’t covered? We’re putting on our planning caps and starting to work on the 2007 Ed Calendar. What do you want to read about in 2007? What gear do you want to see reviewed? Let us know!
Jeroen Wesselman

@jeroenman

Locale: Europe

Although I am fascinated by ‘unconventional’ sleeping systems I would like to see more reviews of conventional UL sleeping bags (the mummy bag, sorry). That’s one of the few things I miss on BPL. Furthermore I would like to see more (S)UL reports (about gear and strategy) in other seasons than summer, something like a trip in an alpine setting in spring or authum (don’t you call that shoulder season).
You guys are already covering so much it’s hard to think of more subjects but I am sure other people have loads of ideas. I can’t wait.

Bill Fornshell
BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Carol,

I would like to see an in-depth examination of the popular synthetic insulations such as Polarguard-Delta, Climashield XP, Climashield Combat and Climashield Green. Also what ever is the current Primaloft contender. Maybe others if there are good ones that I don’t know about

Develop a chart that shows (as a guide) how to rate the different insulation – Clo?? or what ever to a range of temperatures. So if we want to make something out of one of the listed synthetics we will have a chart to look at as a “GUIDE” to start with. It needs to be easy to understand like the chart for Down/Temp Ranges you posted.

It would be nice to see examples of the math or what ever so as other products come on the market I/we could factor them into the Guide you produce.

Don’t turn it into a competition, just the data. Let me sift through the data and decide what will product will work for my project.

Assume that Polarguard Delta will be available in small amounts to the MYOG folks.

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Locale: United Kingdom

I’d certainly like to see more trip reports to some of the further flung / more extreme parts of the world, like Ryans trip to the Artic.

Also, some more basic easy reading articles. You don’t always need to have articles laden with scientific data. Those that do are really informative but you know, sometimes an easy read is also good. For example, an article on different ways to put up a tarp by yourself. I have’nt used a tarp yet so am inexperienced in that particular area and I often wonder how much messing around goes on by a single individual to get a tarp up in a A frame style configuration. I wouldn’t need lots of figures on tension strains in pounds, just some piccys would be fine. I’m sure there are lots of other basic stuff too that other people would appreciate too.

Certainly some articles on food, nutrition, menus, cooking tips etc, anything that will improve on the just boil water and add food approach.

Coverage of backpacking in other parts of the world than just the US. There are a lot of people using the site from all over the globe, so trip reports, techniques in different climates etc would be useful.

I would also really like to see an in depth article on the latest water tratments available. Where to collect water from, how to treat it, the best methods etc. Water is the one area where I am really fussy and if I could, I would pre filter, filter, add chemicals, treat with UV, boil and test on my colleages first. I exagerate but it is the one thing that I am mindful of. So a comparsion of the different methods would be useful.

Also, in addition to any articles, development of the site would be good. For example:

1. The ability for user profiles so that users could post a bit about themself if they wish would be good.
2. What about a chat room facility.
3. The ability to see where people are from in the posts (If they chose to have this info displayed) so that I know whether someone lives just up the road from me.

4. BPL Podcasts, interviews with the movers and shakers in the industry and those who have done epic things. BPL in the UK already do this for free and they are just a gear supplier. So, The BPL.com should really be looking to use the latest web facilities.

5. The ability to enlarge any of the photos in articles on the site by clicking on them. I’m often interested in some of the detail in the photos but they are sometimes just too small.

6. What about a few more competitions for users of the site.

7. A useful Tip of the Week.

8. Better site search facilities not limited to the first twenty matches.

9. The ability for me to have my own favourites page for articles I find particularly useful.

10. Maybe a bit of a face lift for the website. (Also Get rid of the black pixel on

I’m sure there is loads of other things I could think of but thats enough for now.

Scott

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I’d like to see some reviews oriented toward winter backpacking. Will R. did a nice review of Mountainsmith’s ski backpack this past year but I would like to see a comparison review of a roundup of similar packs.

Also, a comparison review of crampons, not so much for ice climbing but, winter hiking, including lightweight instep crampons as well as some of the lighter mountaineering crampons both aluminum and steel point.

Winter backpacking up in the Whites in New Hampshire isn’t for everyone but WOW, it’s invigorating!

Sam Haraldson
BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I look forward to articles related to the articles relating to nutrition. I’m feeling very confident in my current situation/plan for gear but feel that more research into what, when and how I prepare, cook and eat is necessary.

I’ve been researching elsewhere online as well as in the library and books (backpacking and otherwise) but I’m always interested in BPLs take on anything.

Carol Crooker
BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Great ideas everyone!
Keep ’em coming.

Ross Bleakney
BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I would to second the recommendation for a comparison of synthetic insulation and would like to see it expanded. I realize this could get to be too big, but if you took on different material categories, it might make it easier. For example, sythetic insulation, waterproof fabrics, breathable or water resistant fabrics, bug netting, etc. Such a comparison of fabrics would make it easier to shop for various items as well as make your own gear.

The second thing I would like to see is a comparison of wind shirts and wind pants.

kai dozier

@kaidozier

Carol,
Sure would like to see research on DWR – how DWR applied by jacket brand varies, how the after-market DWR varies (Nikwax, Revivex, Granger’s, etc), how each treatment is affected by smoke, dirt, body oils, etc., how safe each treatment is, and recommendations for wash-in vs. spray-on.

Miguel Arboleda
BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I’d actually like to see articles on worthy trails around the world, places that I would never find on my own since I would never have heard about them (I just discovered this evening that there are some wonderful hiking opportunities in southern Oman and Yemen, places which look like rural England). The articles could focus on suggested ultralight equipment for local conditions and how long the trail might take on a light load and such. I know Roger Caffin is in Australia, so that would be one suggestion outside the States. With all the readers here from around the world it might be nice to get things written up by some of them on local places they consider special.

Woubeir (from Europe)
BPL Member

@woubeir

The research idea on DWR could beinteresting. But perhaps taking it a step further. Current DWR technology will never work properly as long as nothing changes on the more or less hydrophilic fabrics used in rainwear. Perhaps some research on what the posibilities are to replace those fabrics.

D G
Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

It would be interesting to have some kind of test of windshirts with a graph of where they stand in terms of breathability and water proofness, Maybe by fabric type. For example, it’s known that a windshirt like the Golite Helios is less breathable/more waterproof in comparison to a Pertex Quantum fabric windshirt, etc.

It would be nice to have this info for all or common available windshirts consolidated into some graphs.

Dan

Jeroen Wesselman

@jeroenman

Locale: Europe

I also would like see to more reports on the cottage industry. Who are the people behind the brands, what are their ideas/vision etc.

I definitly second the ideas on more international (UL) trip reports with specific gear recommendations. I live in Europen and we have some great destinations here and there are probably a great deal of international BPL members who could report on them.

Furthermore I would love to see more “behind the scene” reports about the manufacture proces of UL fabrics, materials etc. For instance how is Pertex Quantum produced, what’s coming.

I really like the idea of a former posting about facilitating more interaction between members by making some kind of member profile so that it will be easier to contact other members, for instance questions about local hiking possibilities, extra questions about gear reviews etc.

Good luck for 2007.

Woubeir (from Europe)
BPL Member

@woubeir

I’ll also go for the international trip reports. Just as Jeroen, I live in Europe and one of the arguments I hear often is that European weather conditions aren’t as suitable for UL trips compared with the ‘more stable’ US weather paterns. Would be nice to have a report/comparison from someone who has practiced UL all over the globe.

mark henley

@flash582

How about a …. possibilities of the future type segment where you talk about what prototypes are being tested in the marketplace … even if they don’t go to manufacture, perhaps they’ll inspire the MYOG crowd?

Jordan Hurder

@jordanhurder

Locale: Southern California

1. Indepth comparison of synthetic insulation. For people that don’t use down for whatever reason, it would be great to find out how to go SUL with synthetic (like in the Arctic 1000 trek).

2. Stories about the cottage industry. The trailcast with Brian Frankle was great, and learning more about some of the people behind companies like Tarptent and MLD would be really interesting.

Also… since I’m a gearhead, I’d like to see follow ups to review summaries. For instance, after the new crop of internal frame packs comes out in 2007, a follow up to check in on old favorites, comparing them to the new stuff on the market would be really interesting. Same thing for tents and various other categories.

Kenneth Asay

@kage

I would love to see a comparison of various tarps on the market right now. Maybe seperate it into categories such as conventional tarps, poncho-tarps, unconventional tarps (shaped tarps like SD Origami, George tarps, etc.). Re-emphasize the importance of grommets vs. tape, ridge lines, catenary cut, etc.

I would also like to see an article on different ultralight bivies and how they compare to each other, taking into account breathability, waterproofness, etc.

Thanks for all your great work. The membership fee is well worth the reward!

Mark
BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Articles
-Second the recommendations for windshirt comparisons. A specs chart would be very handy, as this seems to come up quite often. I’d like to see data for wind resistance, breathability, water-resistance, water-absorption, drying time, etc. I wonder how wide the range is?
-Second the recommendations for synthetic insulation comparisons.
-Second the rec for a DWR study.
-As a spin-off of the other Mark’s idea [“possibilities of the future type segment where you talk about what prototypes are being tested in the marketplace”], I’d love to hear about protos that never made it. Like the ill-fated BMW backpack, for example. After all the work spent designing, sourcing, sewing, and testing–surely some valuable lessons were learned. I’d like to read about the process, the vision and revisioning, etc.
-I really like the Member articles a la Shaver, Darioli, Ivanov, etc. They’re really great–if only because I feel I know them better.
-Photo-essays! Even if you can’t do a full-fledged trip report, well-captioned photo-essays are often quite helpful.

Features & Stuff
-Second the rec for a “click for larger photo” option.
-I really like the 4-photo panel that Will Rietveld often puts in his product reviews. I’d spread this to other reviews as well.
-Option for member profile/location display
-Functional site search

Thanks for asking!
-Mark

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

What I’d love to see is more of a blog and news site format.

The main thing would be to spread out the article postings a bit. Waiting 3 weeks and then getting 3 or 4 articles to plough through is not as as satisfying as getting a new article every week for 3 weeks. I think it would also help stimulate discussion if there was only one new article posted at a time, focusing peoples’ attention on that particular subject temporarily.

The second addition that would be great is a news blog. Like DPReview.com, for instance, you could cover news and product releases in the industry along with the usual content.

/my 2c CAD

Sam Haraldson
BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

> getting 3 or 4 articles to
> plough through is not as as
> satisfying as getting a new
> article every week for 3 weeks.

I’d like to second that notion. A monthly print magazine basically requires all articles be delivered at the same time. With an online subscription service there is the potential for the release of articles at a trickle.

I’ve only been a member of BPL for a month or so but have been visiting for approximately a year (yes, that’s how cheap and stubborn I am). I got my money’s worth in the first two nights of marathon research sessions and hope to be a member for a long time to come.

Dale Wambaugh
BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A comprehensive article or series on clothing layering systems would be great. Where I found it relatively easy to evaluate my choices for pack, shelter and kitchen, getting a good clothing system together was the most difficult part of getting an UL system together. It took more perceptual change and research for clothing than the rest of my gear. We talk about the “Big 3” (pack, sleeping gear, shelter)when looking at hiking gear, but it should be the “Big 4” with a clothing system making that last category.

Fire starting methods would be a good topic too.

Carol Crooker
BPL Member

@cmcrooker

I have a feeling that Sam and Brian do not subscribe to our free weekly newsletter. In every newsletter, we announce new content. We’ve published new articles and reviews weekly since January 1st 2005. You can figure that out from the home page if you are visiting regularly, but it’s really easy to just sign up for the newsletter which has direct links to each new release – every Wednesday.

Carol Crooker
BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Hi all,
More great ideas and some are in the works already!

Adam Kilpatrick
BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I will agree that I would like to see more trip reports from around the world.

In particular, I would like to see a bit of extra thought into long distance unsupported trips, trip in places where “bushwacking” is the norm rather than the exception, and trips where large amounts of water and food need to be taken. Esp Arid trips.

In South Australia, almost all of my trips involve carrying rediculous amounts of water (bare minumum is starting with 3L), and all of them involve off-track and off-trail walking, through scrub that will tear alomst all UL and SUL packs and rainwear to pieces in minutes. The average walk length for me is about a week, unsupported.

Could we get some reviews on pack and jacket options that are not neccessarily UL or SUL standard, but lightweight and capable of surviving what I have described? I know that there is no way a Gore Paclite 3 Jacket will stand up to Acacia sp. scrub, for example. What are the lightest options out there in “normal strength” 3L goretex or XCR fabrics? Does anyone make a rediculously spartan jacket out of these stronger, tougher materials?

Once I practice a bit more UL hiking, I wouldn’t mind posting a trip report or two if allowed.

Thanks BPL for the opportunity to give our thoughts,

Adam

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I agree on the fire starting article. In particular, the lightest surefire method of getting a fire started in a very wet, cold environment, such as in the PNW in November.

I’d also like to see the article scheduled for release in April-June 2006 titled “Lightweight Strategies for Wet Weather Hiking and Camping for Long Distance.” Having just moved to the PNW, it was the article I was looking forward to reading the most, yet it is the only article that did not get finished! I realize it was a busy time for the authors as they were preparing for the Arctic traverse, but with Fall approaching, now would be a good time to finish it.

The artice would help me to understand better when the authors choose to move away from SUL to heavier gear. For example, while Ryan Jordan is a huge advocate of DWR bivies, he gives great reviews of the ID eVent bivies. Under what conditions does he switch?

Another example: when Ryan hiked the Wonderland Trail last November, he used a full rain suit. Time and again I read people say a poncho is more breathable than any rainsut, yet there are obviously times when a rain suit is better. What guidelines might one follow in choosing suit over poncho, DWR vs WP bivy, down vs synthetic, umbrella vs sucking it up? Does the new Gatewood Cape touted in their recent article on tarping in inclement conditions extend the season at which a rain suit and bivy are not needed?

In other words, what are the limits of the SUL revolution? We are inspired by the stories of the staff pushing the limits of their gear into foul weather, yet even they seem to know when to stop taunting death and bring more substantial protection. What advice can the authors impart from their experience beyone the edge? At what point have the authors woken up and said to themselves “I should have brought that heavier piece of gear?”

99% of the time I am extremely jazzed about my lightweight conversion, but this is sprinkled with brief moments of clarity where I wake up from my fantasy and realize I’m just asking for a whooping from mother nature.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools