Topic

How about a hammock forum?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support How about a hammock forum?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

How about adding our own hammock forum. I see quite a few from here on HF. It would be nice to have our own that could keep it on the light side of things.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

If we build it THEY will come.

No thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

+1 in favor of a Hammock Forum!

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

"If we build it THEY will come. No thanks"

+1 AGREED. We don't need another forum here. Got too many as it is.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Well I never look at the scouting, packrafting, photography, fishing, water travel, philmont, or cycling. But that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate them being here. I just don't read them so they thin out the posts I'm not interested in. Easy…

Jarrod Handwerk

@pa_hiker

Locale: Orwigsburg PA

i would like to see a Hammock Forums as well….

Adam Hurst

@stormcrowe

Locale: Midwest

Wow, you can just feel the love in here can't you?

"If you build it THEY Will come….No thanks." I have a few comments regarding that particular line that I will not degrade myself by making… Besides, THEY are already here.

I think it is a great idea myself. There are many gram weenies over at another forum that I know come here as well. As controversial as hammock camping might be here at BPL (and other traditional hiking/camping forums as well) I see it as a rapidly growing community. Why NOT give then their own corner here in this VERY informative forum. That way, we can keep all of our hammock ramblings in one place. :)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"That way, we can keep all of our hammock ramblings in one place. :)"

+1. As a some time (often time) hammocker, I'd love to see a hammock forum here. Cross pollination is not a bad thing. As far as too many forums, some seem hardly ever used, get rid of some of them.

Not all change is bad. Change is what moves us forward.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"It would be nice to have our own that could keep it on the light side of things."

and

"THEY" – those who are not "light"

Wow! touched a nerve or two…

So you want all all the expertise (which apparently we don't have here?) without all the "heavies"?

Well, based on the flames and "restrained" comments we certainly not profoundly "light" here.

I wish you well on garnering only the "light" ones, and, of course, not the ones you obviously don't enjoy over at HF.

Curious on how that will work.

Lightly yours…

Unknown abc

@edude

Personally, I like the idea. I've been thinking about a hammock recently.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Gosh, Greg, seems your nerves were touched as well. Not sure what you meant by the 'based on the flames' comment, but I see no flames in this thread at all.

Also not sure why you're so opposed to the usefulness of a hammock forum on this site. There are certainly non-hammocking 'heavies' on BPL, and they post to the forums. There are folks like me, who don't claim to be SUL or even completely UL, who post on these forums, and for the most part, get along quite well with those who do favor the SUL/UL approach.

Your reasoning (not you personally, your reasoning in this thread applied to others) has led to quite heated exchanges in other threads about guns and hunting and myriad other things. I've never quite understood the point of all that.

I'm not sure anyone would insist we only garner the light ones anyway. Quite simply, I believe hammocking on this site would lead to discussions on making such backpacking lighter — those who balked would get the same treatment as other 'heavies' do on this site – a reminder (sometimes nice, sometimes not so much) that this site is first and foremost about being lighter, if not lightweight.

So, gee, lighten up……

Dale South
    BPL Member

@dsouth

Locale: Southeast

Heaven forbid that we have a forum dedicated to a non-traditional form of backpacking. No wait… UL and SUL are non- traditional forms of backpacking.

After all BPL has seen fit to publish articles by it's editor at large Carol Cooker on hammock camping.

It's really quite simple. You can do as I do, not read the forums that you have no interest in.

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

Hammockforums.net is a great website, but I don't really like its format as much as this one. Also, I'd prefer to get more concise info as it relates to UL pursuits here, rather than weeding through lots of threads that often are geared more towards camping or hanging a hammock in the backyard than backpacking. I'm all for a hammock forum here.

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

I'd like to see a hammock section.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I think a hammock forum would be great!

Trevor Shrade
    BPL Member

@trevman3205

Locale: Wisconsin

In my short time here I don't recall seeing any post related to hammocks. Now there seems to be a lot of people calling for a section dedicated to hammocks? I don' t think the-powers-that-be will implement this until there is actual content that needs to be separated from the rest. So, post your UL hammock posts NOW!! I for one will read every single one.

Trev

P.S. Posting now will also get the people with they "They" talk begging for you to get your own little corner of this site (even if it is so that they don't have to read it)

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I am a hanger and a ground dweller.

A hammock forum with a focus on the "lighter" side of things would be a great addition here. BPL's format is the best I use and the folks from HF are the nicest, and equally innovative as BPL's, bunch around. I have picked up so many useful tips and innovations from their site. Some of which (like a tarp tensioner idea) have made a big difference on or above ground for me.

As others have said, we choose which posts we read (easy to do) and I occasionally enjoy reading articles and threads about topics which I don't partake in.

shawn weld

@spoon

Locale: NorthEast

Another hanger and fan of both BPL and HF. Went from a Henry Shire's Tarptent to a Warbonnet Blackbird, OES Tarp and a Yeti Underquilt.

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Locale: Washington, DC Area

I am also in support of a hammocking section. Although it wouldn't be what you consider to be UL, hammocks have a growing following, many who adopt or practice lightweight philosophies. It would be nice to find a medium between hammocking and understanding how it relates to lightweight backpacking in general.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Sometimes ground dweller, sometimes hanger. Post on both BPL and HF. My hammock rig dropped weight from my solo pack. Like the goal of weight shedding here, but enjoy the friendliness and inclusionary tone at HF better. It would be nice to find all the hammock related posts here in one place. There are a ton of forums here I never look at. Would it hurt anyone here to have one more?

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Locale: Washington, DC Area

"If we build it THEY will come.

No thanks."

If it's built and "they" come to a certain area of BPL, then YOU don't need to go there. It's like TV, if you don't like what's on then turn the channel.

As Adam mentioned, we're already here. I, like many others am a lightweight/UL backpacker even with hammocks. My base weight is below 12lbs. even WITH a hammock, so why can't we have our own forum? And as you can see… "Member" is already next to my name like many others who have already posted on this thread.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

All for it. We are inclusive all forms of lightweight backcountry travel. We've certainly done reviews of hammocks and related gear so it makes perfect sense.

Swampfox Outdoors
    BPL Member

@swampfox

Locale: Southeast

I would love to see hammock info here in its own forum, for all of the reasons already listed.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

Sounds good to me. I both hang and lay miserably on the ground at times. Just keep it light. Hammock Forums has gotten too big (for me) I don't particularly like all the newbies that come on everyday with the same old story;
    "I got out my credit card, placed an order for a tarp, hammock, underquilt, etc… and would you believe this, but the in a few days the UPS truck stopped at my house and left a brown box, and would you believe it when I opened up the box, there was my new hammock and accessories. I'm a happy hanger now, who'd ever thunk it?"

Charles Boyer

@frawg

Locale: Tampa Bay Area

+1 on a hammock forum. Where's the harm in it? :)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools