Topic

Bay area BPL April

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bay area BPL April

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

OK a couple of tibits of information. Remember that bear canisters are required, And yes they do check. Also I would highly recommend spraying your clothes with permethrin, ticks can be bad in spring. I have a Garcia canister to loan out if anyone does not have one.

If you would like to get your, own map and information packet for this trip I suggest the packet from the BLM. The wilderness press map of the area is pretty worthless. The BLM packet is $5 and available here.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/arcata/kingrange/krnca_maps.html

Also who wants to camp at the windy exposed trailhead? Or would you rather stay at a nice riverfront camp Friday night about 15 minutes away from the trailhead. I am not biased either works for me.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

So if I wanted to join you, where would I fly into?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Nearest Airport here is ACV Eureka/Arcata. Though expect to take forever to get here and pay through the nose as well. Bay Area is easier to access, but then you have the drive up ahead of you. We moved up here to get away, and it's working. You are more than welcome anytime.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Ken –

I might be interested in borrowing that canister, if nobody else needs it. I have a bear vault 500 that's too big and heavy for this trip. Actually, maybe there are a couple of people on the trip that would want to pool their food, or something. They could use the BV500. Or whatever works out.

I would want to stay at the riverside camp…..

I can probably pick you up in Shelter Cove on Friday afternoon.

Doug – It would be great if you could come out. You can fly into Oakland. I can pick you up on Friday late morning or so and head out directly from there. Or you could arrive Thursday and stay at my place.

The earliest you would be able to fly out would be afternoon on Monday.

I would definitely recommend flying into Oakland, though.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

is heavier than what I've already got!

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

David,
    I will be headed back your way in early April. I have both sizes of Bearvaults. I could bring either one out for you to use. Let me know.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Yeah while pooling food to reduce the number of canisters required, BLM states that each individual carry one.

Black bears are becoming increasingly aggressive and have recently torn into backpacks and investigated tents in search of food or other scented items. These bears have learned that there is a good probability of success with this method. To stop this association of humans with easy food access you MUST use a hard sided bear-proof food storage container (manufactured specifically for this purpose) to store ALL food, trash, toiletries (e.g. soap, sunscreen, toothpaste) and other scented items. Bears are very successful at retrieving items hung in trees, buried in the ground, covered with rocks or logs, and left in tents or packs.

All dispersed use area visitors who are camping are required to carry and use hard-sided bearproof food storage canisters. Canisters must be models approved by the Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group. Information on approved models is available online at http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/containers.htm . The canisters must be of sufficient size to permit storage of all food, toiletries, sunscreen, dog food, surfboard wax, insect repellent, and other scented items for the duration of the trip. Each person must possess a minimum of one canister, and must use the canister to store the above types of items, plus any food scraps and scented trash items such as empty cans, energy/candy wrappers, surf wax wrappers etc.

Bear canisters are required for every backpacker in the King Range NCA. Backpackers failing to use bear canisters are subject to being fined (43 CFR 8365.1-6).

Please plan ahead. Bear canisters are available for rent for $5.00 per canister per trip with a $75.00 credit card deposit per canister (required) at the following locations: King Range NCA Project Office (1/4 mile west of Whitethorn Post Office on Shelter Cove Rd), the Arcata Field Office (1695 Heindon Rd, Arcata), and the Petrolia Store (5 miles from the Mattole trailhead). Please note: Petrolia Store accepts CASH ONLY for rental of cans. During summer, bear cans may not be available and can not be reserved so plan accordingly.

You may return canisters to any of the above locations during business hours. NOTE: KING RANGE NCA PROJECT OFFICE HAS A 24 HOUR DROP BOX. These canisters have a 600 cubic inch capacity and provide one person with storage for no more than 3 days worth of food, toiletries, etc. It is your responsibility to properly store all of the items listed above. The bears will get anything left out!

Don't go hungry and contribute to the altered behavior of these wild creatures. Proper storage saves bears.

Report all incidents and sightings by calling 707-986-5400 or emailing King Range Project Office. Please contact us if you have questions or for more information.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Thanks David! I think I'll wait for a longer trip and fly out for that. Would love to put BPL faces to names, but as I PM'd Ken, flying 6 hours, then driving/riding six hours, twice, for a weekend trip might even be too crazy for me!

If I change my mind I'll give you a shout and take you up on your very kind offer.

Take care,

Doug

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

David, I have a bear canister you can use to at the Lost Coast..I would like to make that trip but I have a game that weekend. Thanks for the ToTo info. Let me know

-Jay

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

We will have a nice minus tide around 9am both days. So no need to get up at o crack thirty to make it around the difficult sections. Both areas that are squeezed off are early in each days section. So no worries and should have some good access to the tidal pools. Sunset up here is going to be right around 8pm so plenty of hiking time during the day. Planning on setting up camp at Miller Flat, to give us a slightly shorter day on Sunday.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I can fit a total of seven in the van, though six is comfortable. Two have to ride facing rearward. So far we have Cameron, David, Katharina, Jesse, Joshua, and myself. So we are pretty much filled up. Any one else????

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

David L. I have a bare boxer canister you can use its half the size of the Garcia and half the weight. Let me know and I can mail it to you this week. Jack

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Thanks Jack…….I was considering picking one of those up and still might.

Where did you get yours, online or did you find it in a store?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I got it on line, their office is down south somewhere can't remember at the moment, but it was around $32.00. I love mine, if I pack it right I can get enough food for me and my daughter to keep us out for about 4-5 days. Jack

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Alright kids, Katharina is bringing a friend. So we are officially full! I propose that we all meet in Shelter Cove on Friday. Leave all but my vehicle at the trailhead. I will shuttle us to to campground/trailhead. Then get David to drive me back to my car on Sunday since he is planning on staying out Sunday night as well(must be nice to be your own boss) This eliminates the need and expense of hiring a shuttle. At trips end you will all be back at your own cars and can go home from there. make sense? David, sound OK with you? Please feel free to PM me with any questions. Just need to know from all of you what time to meet on Friday. Good fish and chips in Shelter Cove!

David Lutz

@davidlutz

That sounds good Ken – it works for me.

My only reservation would be to encourage people to arrive as early as possible on Friday so we don't end up at Friday night's campsite at midnight.

If anyone wants to stay later with me, we can ride together. I plan to leave mid-day on Friday to avoid hellish traffic.

(edited to make sense)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Josh, could you check in with us. What time do you think you would be able to head out? Are you planning on carpooling with Katharina?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Josh is most likely carpooling with me.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Thanks Katharina

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

So Katrina and I both need to work 1/2 days on Friday. If this isn't going to work with you guys for the shuttle maybe we can drive straight to the mouth of the Mattole and park there.We can hike and catch up with you later. Then on Sunday we can ride back with Ken and Dave to get our cars. What time were you trying to meet at Shelter cove?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Allright, Don't want to throw a wrench into the works, but here goes. David and I will be dropping of the shuttle vehicle at Shelter Cove on Friday. The rest of you please meet us at A.W. Way county park Friday night. David and I will get camp ready, and want to make the drive from the cove to the campground during daylight hours with daylight left to set up at the campground. We'll have the fire going and the cooler open when you all get there. This does mean that you have a ride to get back to your own vehicles on Sunday. You all should have enough time to drive back home and get a good nights sleep for work on Monday. A.W. Way is right on the way to Mattole, but affords a better camping experience than the trailhead campground. It is a short 20 minutes to the trailhead from camp. Will email detailed directions to all who are going shortly. I really appreciate the effort taking by all who attend. I know it is a long haul from anywhere. I will do my best as host to ensure all have a good time. Look for me in my host hat Friday night! Cold beer on me!

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

You can through wrenches if there is beer in the cooler. It is so on. So can we leave cars at A&W root beer park or what?Can't wait to see you all. Cat in the Hat is hosting.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Those wrenches will be metric, and ice cold!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

How many miles is the hike? What night time lows do you expect?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools