Topic

NB Fugu down jackt $119

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals NB Fugu down jackt $119

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Bryant Burton
    BPL Member

@moabrocks

http://www.recreationoutlet.com/p-435-new-balance-fugu-down-jacket.aspx

I ran across these jackets at a local sports store and it looks like they got a bunch of these on clearance from some place as I don't think they make them any more. I didn't think too much about posting it because I didn't think that there would be too many of you that could take advantage since the stores are only in Utah but just found out that they also sell things on-line. I am 6'2" and 200 lbs and the XL Tall fit best. The LT would have fit also but I have broader than normal shoulders and it was a bit too tight.

Thread discussing the warmth ratings of jackets where its mentioned.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18950&disable_pagination=1

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Locale: North East Georgia Mountains

I have one of these in a XLTall also and I normally wear an xl or LT. It is a great jacket but I've only tried mine on inside the house since I have a Mountain Hardwear Phantom as my main down jacket. Mine weighs around 16 oz. This is a good buy on them. I was thinking about selling mine or maybe trading for a Montbell UL Down inner jacket if anyone was interested.

Ron D
    BPL Member

@dillonr

Locale: Colorado

Thanks Bryant – I just ordered one. I've been looking for one but they have been impossible to find even on ebay.
    Ron

Rene de bos

@piemel

Locale: SF Bay Area

Just ordered one as well in Large Tall

I am 6'6 and relatively slender in the shoulder area… hope I made the right call because the XL Tall has an extra inch of sleeve length. Sure hope the sizing chart on their site is correct.

Nice looking specs on that jacket.. I needed a down jacket for cold weather to compliment the collection.

Thanks for the headsup

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

As it relates to the link:

Iclo

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Can anyone speak to the fit of this jacket. I always sit right in between a medium and large (41.5" chest 16.5" neck). If the jacket is trim then I'd go for the large. But if it is oversized at all a medium will work.

Thanks, Jamie

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Get the large they run a bit small.

Aaron W
    BPL Member

@adw245

Locale: Chula Vista
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Fill is different. Big difference!

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

Never heard of these before, but they look pretty nice. I was thinking of getting a montbell alpine light at some point, but the price and warmth listed here make me wonder. Would I be crazy not to get the Fugu?

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

I don't know about the Montbell but this is a seriously warm jacket, that is well made for around 16 oz. It is comparable to a MH Phantom.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

The Sportsmans Guide jacket is definitely not the same thing. It's listed as 80% duck down, 20% feathers vs. 850 FP Goose Down on the Fugu. The shell is much heavier fabric just from looking at the photos.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

I'm going to give it a shot. I just ordered a size large green Fugu. I have wondered about this jacket since Richard posted his original chart. But they have not been available. I wonder where these have come form. It will be interesting to see what shows up.

Jamie

Damien T

@dteney

Locale: Somewhere in the Alps

I was about to order one of those as well when I noticed that they won't ship overseas, and I'm in Belgium at the moment.

If anyone is interested in helping me to acquire one, let me now (by "reshipping" it to Europe after ordering to your address in the US; I'll obviously give a commission !). Thanks in advance !

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

nm

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just bought a Fugu from the nearest Recreation Outlet and its incedible. Super light, very very warm, very well made. I run medium in most things and I got the Meduim long and it seems to fit just a little large, but it was the smallest they had. I really ought to buy another.

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

Shot in the dark, but what size Damien? I ordered both a Med and Med Tall and am going to return/sell the one that loses the size battle. I'd be willing to ship it overseas if by chance the loser works for you.

Stephanie Hong

@shong

Locale: Sierras, CA

Thanks for the great information, everyone. I emailed and asked if they have any coupons for new customers, and got this reply:
    "If you use the coupon code NEW10, it will give you 10% off your first purchase."
    So total before shipping = $107.99!!!

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I'm 5'10", 150lb-ish, normally wear small or mediums that run a bit on the small size.. Only thing available atm is a medium-tall, or a large-regular, anybody about my size try one of these? Are the talls real long?

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

This morning they had Medium regular, but by the time I finally ordered they just had the Medium Tall. Sizing is on the site indicates sleeve length is 34" for regular and 35.5" for long- a difference of only 3/4" per sleeve.

Colin Kelley

@ckelley

Locale: Santa Barbara

> Sizing is on the site indicates sleeve length is 34" for regular and 35.5" for long- a difference of only 3/4" per sleeve.

Jim,

Those are per-sleeve measurements (from center of the back @ the lump in the spine–aka the C7 vertebra–to the cuff). So that's 1.5" longer which sounds generous.

-Colin

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Doh! Of course it is. I'm anticipating possibly shortening the sleeves. I think that's a reasonable tradeoff if the torso comes down lower.

Jim

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

If anybody needs an XLTall ( I usually wear an xl but these run small )I will sell mine for $90 plus shipping. Although I have owned it for a couple of years I have never worn it outside the house,it has just been hanging in my closet. Thanks, Bill

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Just curious if anyone received theirs yet. There were two vendors selling them and I got mine for about $64 at both places. Because I was unable to cancel an order, I actually ordered two (one I'll be returning as soon as it arrives).

The jacket itself looks well made and is quite comfortable. I think the arms a little short, however and the zipper seems very cheap to me which may pose a long term problem.

My greater concern, however, is that it was advertised at 13.5+ oz presumably in a medium. Mine was 31 oz (!!!) in XXL. It should have only been 3-5 oz heavier than the medium, so I wanted to see if anyone else had the same finding. At this weight, I have no intent on keeping it.

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Are you sure you got the 850 fill Fugu? Mine weighs 16 oz in xlt,because there is another made by New Balance that looks simialr but is not the same jacket.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools