Topic

Combined order for green cuben – Anybody want some?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Combined order for green cuben – Anybody want some?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 224 total)
  • Author
    Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

Thanks Matt,
    I do not think I really hurt myself project wise. Just glad my first cut was so big as the leftover piece with the fold is the correct size for the first project. I really just got lucky but wanted to make sure no one else made the same mistake.
    Mike

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Yep, it's a fold, Jon told me it shouldn't affect material strength, but my leave a crease.

By the way Mike, payment for shipping is with you now.

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Thanks Rog!!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

There will be 1 layer of material for every 9m ordered. THe only way to use it is to unroll and re-roll it in a single layer, a real pain, but worth it.

-Tim

Lynne Thompson

@lynnet

Locale: Highbury

I would just like to thank Michael for taking care of all our orders. It's wonderful, many thanks.

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Lynne,
    Thanks.
    I was but 1 player in the orchestra.
    Mike

Matthew Dunn

@boddunn

Locale: Kirby Muxloe

Does that make Roger the conductor or the composer? : O )
    Can I play the bassoon? That's such a cool word!
    Seriously though, thanks to everyone involved, I'll post here when the fabric arrives so the UK contingent can all start watching their letter boxes.

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Matt,
    I think that makes Roger both the conductor and the composer.
    I have no problem playing the buffoon.
    Mike

Lynne Thompson

@lynnet

Locale: Highbury

Triangle.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I just finished sewing a solo mid with this material. I love this stuff. Final size is 100"x40"x42" and it weighs 7.3oz. I do need to tape the major seams still but don't think that will take it to 8oz for a fully enclosed shelter. I will get some pics this weekend so you can see how the fabric looks in the fall woods.

-Tim

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

"Does that make Roger the conductor or the composer?"

General arm waver I think.

Somehow, it's all come together. Thanks to all for their help.

Final bills coming out to Matt and Lynne today. Not going to charge Derek postage from U.S. as I owe him for a beer keg he sent me. Mike, who was the other UK recipient please?

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

Hi Roger,
    do you mean Colin Ibbotson who is due 4 of the 9 metres I ordered? If you do we have some balancing payments to make between us. I will message his contact details tomorrow

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Here are a few pics of the mid in the woods. It doesn't disappear by any means, but it doesn't grab the eye either. At a distance i'm sure you'd hardly notice it.

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

-Tim

Matthew Dunn

@boddunn

Looks fantastic as ever Tim; I guess the big question is how much does that bad boy weigh?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Weight after seam tape is an even 8oz. That includes 6 line locks.

It is hard to pitch it with enough interior length. I will have to keep working on the design to get the needed length. it is 100"x40"x42"tall and i still feel cramped inside length wise at 6'2".

-Tim

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

OK, it's never bothered me to ask a stupid question. Why are mids always symmetrical? Seems like you would have more head room if you made it slightly asymetrical…

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Looks good Tim. Maybe mid panel tie-outs, a 1/3 of the way up, would give more headroom and steepen the end walls? You could simply use a couple of sticks.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

I would speculate that mids are symmetrical for better wind-shedding from any direction? Just a guess.

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

I have got some of this breen cuben coming and I am hoping to make an assymetrical mid. The duomid is symmetrical but with 2 people one is sleeping under the door. I am trying to get 2 people on one side of a sloping pole and the door/ cooking area on the other. This involves a 4 sided pyramid with one edge the door and the other 3 edges on the other side of the pole set out to give most headroom over there. The left and right edges truncate at the width of the cuben 54" and end in small triangular vertical walls which may be used for controlled ventilation. I dont think the wind will be more of a problem, but it is an experiment.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

I'm looking forward to seeing that Derek. There should be a few interesting designs over the next few weeks.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

i think i am still pitching it wrong. When i made the AlpineMid for T.D. it was shorter than this but i fit in it better. I didn't pull the sides out so much and i think that if i pitch it with the sides at 40" (like i designed them to be) i will get more length, i will try this but i am sure it will help, pulling the sides out is making it shorter. Like anything, practice makes perfect. Good thing the guy who this is for is shorter than me by a bit. If i can figure out the pitch so i fit he'll be plenty good. I know i can get it it, it's just a matter of pitching things in the right order.

-Tim

Aaron Bybee
    Spectator

@a_bybee

Locale: Rebulica de California

Using your numbers, I ran the numbers earlier for my own entertainment, but I guess I will share. You should gain 7.7 inches with a height of 39 inches. I assumed that you measured center to ground. If you measured by pole length, ignore me. It seems like you should get more than what I calculated, maybe I am wrong, thought I would share anyway. First Post, two year member, please be gentle!
    -Aaron

edit: I was running numbers because I really like the work you do. I was trying to figure out how the design could be made asymmetrical, as somebody else mentioned. The sewing complexity of doing so seems daunting to me.

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Hi Aaron,
    I dont think the sewing is more complex than say Tim's. It will be for me, because I have never sewed cuben before, but all seams are basically straight. The problem of asymmetry is the cutting (apart from spelling asymmetry). I have a walking pole and string structure on my lawn at the moment to take measurements from. My design is symmetrical left to right looking at the door. All 4 main panels are 54" wide, the "selvage" of the cuben goes up each side of the door and the same at the back. In shape there are 2 mirror pairs, both irregular trapeziums. pair at the door sides and a pair at the back. I have not had the cuben in my hand but if the material is the same both sides. I should be able to get the pairs out economically. Then there are the little triangles for the vent walls. I am afraid I might not have enough cuben.
    I am afraid of the details: do I cut "catenary" edges? can I glue? what glue? can I avoid sewing if I glue and tape? How many reinforcement patches at stress points? How do I avoid stressing lightweight zips? How much top ventilation? Do I make it midge proof?
    I am hoping for help from this forum on these things

Matthew Dunn

@boddunn

Argh!
    Just received an invoice from Parcelfarce for £95.09! Looks like the size of the package meant it was processed by them rather than Royal Mail, I'll ring them in a bit to see if I can use the franking machine to pay for it and let you all know. Fingers crossed!
    Matt

Matthew Dunn

@boddunn

Ok,
    I can't frank the charges so we'll have to split them I'm afraid. I suggest we figure out how much each of us have ordered and split the charges according to the percentage of each order.
    I've worked out the charges equate to:
    £25.70 for Rog
    £24.66 for Lynne
    £17.61 for Derek
    £14.08 for Colin
    £13.02 for me
    I think I've demonstrated my dyslexia here before so if someone could check my maths I'd appreciate it : O )
    I've paid the charges on my credit card so the package should be here tomorrow, once I've cut it and packaged it up I'll let you all know.
    Sorry this didn't work out better, would of saved us all a few quid.
    Matt

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 224 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools