Topic

Combined order for green cuben – Anybody want some?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Combined order for green cuben – Anybody want some?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 224 total)
  • Author
    paul smith

@tenkara

Thanks for all of the information. It will definitely help me determine how much I need. At the very least, I can go ahead and order the cuben knowing that i will use it for the final product.

My vote is for the darker green. I prefer to not stand out from my surroundings and I spend most of my time in the Smoky's

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

You can put me down for 2 yards. I don't care about the color (since it's for stuff sacks).

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

The list at the top of the thread has been updated. Looking good for an order early October.

Dan Baker
    BPL Member

@heeler

Locale: Victoria, Australia

Hi all,

I will chime in for 2 yards, mine can get sent with pedro's to Australia, we can organize mine to come from him (mind you I will have to PM him :) ) I would prefer breen .51 also.

Cheers,

Dan Baker.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

So, just so I get this right, as I'm using the metric system:

1 yard = 91,44 cm (length)
    54 inch = 137,16 cm (wide)

Right? How much would I need to sew myself a nice tarp/ shelter and some stuff sacks, would three to four yards be enough? I'm thinking something like a Patrol Shelter or Grace Solo.

Also, I first could give an OK on Friday evening, depends on how the meeting with the client goes.

Matthew Dunn

@boddunn

Locale: Kirby Muxloe

You're a bad man Rog! There's no way I can afford this! In which case I'll have 4 yards please… I live in the UK, hope this isn't a problem although if other UK people would like to jump on this I can post yours on for free just don't tell my boss! : O )
    Thanks for sorting this Rog, much appreciated!
    Matt
    Edit: Maybe I should tell you which one I'd vote for? My vote goes for the heavier fabric and the breen please

Damon Holman

@damon78

Locale: Northeast

I would like to be included in the order but do not yet know how much I need, a few yards certainly. I will figure out my measurements and post again,
    Damon

Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Locale: Melbourne

I prefer the red but I guess that's not on offer.
    So 1 vote for the light green.

Matthew Dunn

@boddunn

Hi Hendrick,
    Just my two penneth worth, I'll be making a tarp too so I've ordered 4 yards which would mean I'll have the join running across the ridge line rather than along it which isn't ideal but it's the best I can do as I don't have much money. This will give me a tarp of roughly 2.8 x 1.8 meters.
    A better solution would be to buy 6 yards and make a tarp with the join along the ridge line making a generous sized 2.80 x 2.80 meters.
    Hope this helps,
    Matt

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

OK, we seem to have a consensus for the 0.51 oz darker green/browny breen, sorry Pedro.

Dan, my cunning plan is that we all deal direct with Cubic Tech directly once we have a big enough combined order. That way, I don't have loads of admin work to do with addresses etc, and Jon at Cubic Tech does all the financials too. However you want to arrange shipping etc is up to you.

Hendrick, get your calculator out. I'm sure you'll have no trouble selling any extra you have over-ordered on gear swap.

Matt, nice one, We can combine shipping costs. Jon has said he is fine with using standard USPS $13 boxes, we'll see how much he can cram into one.

Damon, no sweat, we'll hang on for you.

I'll update the list when I have some more definite quantities from people.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Rog,

are you sure Jon is willing to cut and shipp all this to different locations? They don't seem that flexible when i have talked with them, i haven't spoken with Jon though.

-Tim

Matthew Dunn

@boddunn

Ahh,
    Just saw you're in Leeds Rog, perfect. Feel free to send it to my work address as I can using the franking machine at work should we get stung for import duty.
    You don't happen to know if they sell tape too? Other wise I'll have to order some from Quest which'll cost more to ship than the value of the tape.
    Thanks again,
    Matt

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Going through the MYOG articles here, I found this and thought it could be of interest to some folks here:

Make Your Own Gear: Five Yards to SuperUltraLight

Four articles series to make a Tarp, Pack and Stuff Sack out of 5 yards of material. Excellent stuff, membership required.

Matthew, thanks for the suggestions. I reckon its going to be five to six yards then, maybe more.

Rog, my OK comes on Friday.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Tim,
    Jon was impressed by this thread and the obvious demand. He wants to help, but we need to make life as easy for him as possible too. He asked if I would take the whole order and become a distributor, but this isn't practical with me being UK based. What I'm hoping is that people who want small quantities can form small syndicates to order 9 meter pieces. I've just asked Jon if he will cut these to requirements.

The subtext seems to be that there is some kind of 'join' every 9 meters and self designers need to consider this when planning their patterns.

Matt, just maybe, we could persuade someone kind like Tim to take delivery of the overseas material after we've paid for it, and send it on via USPS in packages marked 'Gift : $65 value'. It's light enough after all. ;-)

Regarding jlointing, I was considering glue and stitch. Maybe we can obtain suitable tape in the UK? Needs advice and research.

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

I have no problem upping my order to 9.84333333333 yards.
    Mike

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Mike, I know I know. I have a hard time understanding the American love of being vague about yard – meter conversions too. I will seek clarification from Jon on the matter. :o)

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I'd very much like to consider ordering some of this cuben, but seeing as I'm in Japan and way out of the way of most of the orders here, I wonder if I'd just be too out of the way? Are there any Japanese MYOG people here? ζ—₯ζœ¬γ§γ‚­γƒ₯ーベンを手にε…₯γ‚ŒγŸγ„δΊΊγ„γΎγ›γ‚“γ‹οΌŸ

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Miguel, there are a few Japanese who post here. I would think You could join in with the Australians and get them to post yours on? How much are you after?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Rog,

Not sure what i am going to do yet. I get e-mails everyday about making cuben shelters. I just have to get people to commit before i can jump in line. The wait time is also an issue for me. Many of my customers would opt for white as they can get their shelter faster. We'll see what i can do, as of right now no one has committed.

-Tim

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Tim, I understand your reluctance to stock expensive material ahead of getting firm orders. The ball is rolling here, and I'm confident that:

A) We will reach the target within the next couple of weeks
    B) That Jon will get on with the job quickly once he's sure the demand is there.
    C) Your potential customers would understand that the time is right for decisions if you give them a nudge.

Winter is coming and people may think to put off putting down money on gear they won't use until next year, but there again, it's a good MYOG time of year, and small producers like to take time off in summer too. Joe at Z-packs for example.

Why not take a straw poll and see how many would be interested in Green rather than White? I know which I prefer.

I might be interested in getting you to make up some of my material into a couple of mateable poncho tarps for Kath and myself. We intend going SUL next year, and I trust your workmanship and your experience with this material.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

I just ordered 45 yards from Chris at Cubictech of the
    same lot so you now have enough for him to proceed. I paid
    by credit card so no need to include me in the billing/
    shipping process.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Wow. Great!
    How much of a hurry are you in for your 45 yards David?

I'll keep our books open for those who are still waiting monthly paychecks etc and contact Jon to see how he wishes to proceed.

Clarification from Jon on the 'joins' issue: Not joins, but folds.

"Every 9m, there is a fold in the material. The strength should not be affected, but the fold is often permanently visible. Another way to say it is that if you order 36m, you will receive a continuous 36m piece of fabric that is folded 3 times, every 9m, forming a quadruple stack of laminate that is pressed together. The layers are firmly pressed together, but will cleanly peel apart, or you can cut through all four layers for cutting efficiency."

On the cutting front, Cubic Tech will not cut down the 9m panels, so we need a willing intermediary to help the people with small orders, or a member of each syndicate to cut and repost their friends pieces.

Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Locale: Melbourne

I can distribute from Australia
    Possibly even NZ if there are any NZ-ers in that list.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Don't wait for me. I can always get the white when i need it. Maybe if i get moving on my site i will be ready to roll next time. I seriously get inquires every day about cuben shelters, but nobody ready to drop the hammer. Maybe next time.

-Tim

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Ron from MLD gave some Info on Cuben, and I thus decided not to get any of the CT1K.08 stuff – being a beginner it might be to difficult to work with for me.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 224 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools