Topic

Combined order for green cuben – Anybody want some?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Combined order for green cuben – Anybody want some?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 224 total)
  • Author
    Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Hi all,
    I just got an email from Jon Holweger at Cubic Tech saying he will do a production run of browny-green cuben when there is a big enough total of orders.

Update: Production starts Monday 28th Sept !!!

Price currently is $23.46 per running meter, $211.14 per 9 meter panel. This is for CT2K.08, a 0.74oz/square yd, 54" wide material. See Franco's post on page 2 for color. It's the "breen" or browney green drab olivey sort of grungy color at the bottom of the shot

If you are in the states, and want 9 meters or a multiple of 9m, order direct by email from [email protected] for direct delivery. Please leave a message on thread so I know what's left.

People wanting small amounts could help the process by PMing each other and forming small syndicates, bearing in mind country of destination. Please indicate non U.S. locations. Mike Crosby and Jim Colten(provisionally) have offered to act as distributors.

The LIST:

7.3m, 0.74 oz. Rog tallbloke UK………ordered
    4 yds, 0.74 oz. Vick Hines
    18m, 0.74 oz. Mike Crosby…………….ordered
    4 yds, 0.74 oz. Petras Surna AUS
    2 yds, 0.74 oz. Dan Baker AUS
    3 yds, 0.74 oz. Michael Theiler Aus
    3.7m, 0.74 oz. Matthew Dunn UK……….ordered
    18m, 0.74 oz Tim Marshall…………..ordered
    6-9yrds0.74 oz Jim Colten
    45 yrds0.74 oz David Olsen…………….ordered
    7m, 0.74 oz Lynne UK……………….ordered
    9m, 0.74 oz Justin Ling
    18m, 0.74 oz Henry Blake…………….ordered
    9m, 0.74 oz Brad Rogers…………….ordered

Running total: ~162-165 Yards.
    Ordered: 127m
    Estimated remaining available – 27-36m as of 10-1-2009

Possibles:

Jared Cook – 6-9 yds

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

4 yds, 0.51 oz. Vick Hines

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

8 yds, 0.51 oz. Mike Crosby

Henry Blake
    BPL Member

@dragon

Locale: Minnesota

Rog,
    The specs call for a 127 cm width in either of those 2 weights. Any chance of getting Cubic Tech Corp. to make a wider material run? I'm assuming that people on this site would appreciate the extra width for tarps and bivies? Everyone interested in getting some, chime in on this point—desirable or not?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Hi Henry. The spec sheet Jon attached to the email he sent me states 54" for both weights. I'll double check with him before we order.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Rog,

As you get orders can you post the tally so i have an idea of how much time i have to get on board. I'd like some, but can't commit at this time. Once you start getting close i might be able to get a large amount to close the deal for everyone. MIGHT. oh the heavier stuff for me too. Is this what everyone is calling .6? MLD, ZPACK and so on?

Looks like you did, sorry.

What type of green? Like an OD green, or a bright lime, something in the middle? I know the color won't be true as the material is translucent, but i'm interested to know.

-Tim

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

What color is the green? How soon are you planning to order? I'd be interested if you are getting the equivalent to the .6oz weight that people are using for shelters. I know that sail yardage weight is different than the actual weight per square yd.
    I can't commit until early next month when I get paid though. I need to buy 6 to 9 yds for my winter projects.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

No worries guys, this can wait until everyone is ready. The bigger the order the better, so no exclusion when the min 99 yards is reached. If you let me know quantities in advance of being ready to order, I can let Jon know.

Can't tell much about the colour from the website. Kay at Quest Outfitters has a test swatch, ask her. She said to me it was as see through as the white so they aren't getting any. I think it'll help reduce visibility from a distance though, and maybe less attractive to bugs too.

Here's the image from the website:

cuben colours

Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Locale: Melbourne

4 yds, 0.51 oz. Petras Surna (Australia)

Mateusz Szultk

@laufbursche-de

Locale: Cologne/ Germany

Hi Rob,

i would take 20 yds of the >CT1K.08< cuben style.

Best regards
    LB

Mateusz Szultk

@laufbursche-de

And here is an older picture of the colored cuben fiber

cuben
    (This picture is maybe 9 months old)
    All the best

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

OP updated. If we include Jared's six-ine yards, we are just around half way to having enough orders to commission the production of this material.

Who else wants some fully waterproof very strong green material at 0.51oz/yd ?

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

Could be just what I need for a bivy-tent project that's been on the back burner for a few years.

I'll look at the potential fabric lay-up and see how much I need. And how much it would cost at $22-ish/yd…

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Go on Kevin, you owe it to yourself, you know you do. ;-)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I'm a bit confused….so does one 'unit' get the buyer a piece of cuben that is 54" wide and one yard (36") in length? Or does it get you one square yard of cuben, which would be 54" x 24"?

I'd like to get some cuben to make some stuff sacks, but I'd probably only need a yard or two.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Dan, One 'unit' is one yard of material length, 54" wide, so you get quite a lot more than a square yard. Calculate out your design requirements and get an order in!

paul smith

@tenkara

Hi,

This is actually my first post here even I visit the site almost daily. I've been on the hunt for colored cuben for some time now. My only problem is not knowing how much to order! My math is beyond terrible and I have no clue how much I will need to create a pyramid tent that would accomodate four friendly people and enough pitch to work as well as the mids that Ryan Jordan and team used in the arctic. Can someone help me come up with a number so that I jump in on a great opportunity? Any help would be appreciated.

Tenkara/Paul

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Paul
    Have a look at this thread
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=22371
    (Keep in mind that I still think the guyout point should be a flat line where glued or stitched, not curved, feel free to experiment first…)
    Franco

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Paul, cuben is a pricey material to start experimenting with. I suggest you find some cheap nylon off ebay or Quest outfitters seconds or old bedding to build a mockup of your ideas before you go cutting expensive material. But get on with it, we will probably order this material early next month.

You could also consider commissioning one of the small producers to make your shelter once you are sure you have the dimensions right from your mockup. Franco's technique using pegs and string would work well for a pyramid as a cheaper alternative to a sewn mockup. You could just tape cheap thin polythene to the stretched string to give a better idea with several people sat inside.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Jon has just emailed me again with a choice of two greens.

" I attached a photo of CT5 Green and CT5HB OD Green on a white background for you to visualize the difference. Obviously CT5 is a heavier product than CT1K.08, which you are interested in, so the colors will be more transparent in the lighter material."

Votes please: Light green or darker green?

light green / dark green cuben

Mateusz Szultk

@laufbursche-de

I prefer the darker one

Mateusz Szultk

@laufbursche-de

Maybe the darker one is similar to the „breen” i've posted
    yesterday.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Is this closer to the real colour ?
    Greens

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

I prefer the darker one also
    Mike

Mateusz Szultk

@laufbursche-de

I think the breen or green colored cuben in the lighter version has got only a shimmer of the color.

This is the result of the thinner Polyester coating.
    The breen in my picture have a weight of 23,6g/m²

The green Cuben styles shown on Jons picture
    are much heavier.

Maybe Jon can send you a picture of some colored
    CT1K.08. Then we can see how transparent or not
    the cuben is.

gx
    Laufbursche

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 224 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools