Topic

2300W Foldable Gas Stove, Clip-on Stove Windshield

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion 2300W Foldable Gas Stove, Clip-on Stove Windshield

Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Well, -34 C is an advance over -24 C. But I would be a bit worried about the company in the light of their emails. More feedback please!

The stand is neat. How are you keeping the bits together? Tape on the inside?

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Tape on inside and out every other section to allow easy folding flat.

Here is info from manufacture of the canisters concerning amount of propane in canister:

Refill Canisters

Your site says the Boss fuel is available in 10.3 fl oz cans. Are those can sizes still available?

Answer

Yes, they are still available.

Great. Do they have a lindal valve just like the 4 fl oz cans? Can you give me a link to them please?

Thank you.

Dan

Answer

The link you gave me below is the correct link.

Jeanette

The photo in the link shows the can as being 4oz.

Description says 10.3 fl oz

Answer

I have corrected that item on the website. It is 4 oz (if you were able to use fluid oz it measures 10.3 fluid oz).

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

This info is from a pdf safety data sheet they sent me:

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

FYI – Link to the full Safety Data Sheet

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Thanks Jon.

That ‘propane’ in those cans is not 100% propane. Propane boils around -42 C, but the stuff in those cans ‘boils’ around -34 C according to the MSDS. At a guess, that could be 30% butane, but that is a guess at this stage. The company is a leetle vague about the actual contents.

I could not see anything on the SDS download that indicates a possible 30% butane. I would think they would be required by law to list the butane contents.

The author of that sheet is the same person that made the mistake on the liquid contents of the can.

Her name is on page 8:

Disclaimer:
    Although reasonable care has been taken in the preparation of this document, we extend no warranties and make no representations as
    to the accuracy or completeness of the information contained herein, and assume no responsibility regarding the suitability of this
    information for the user’s intended purposes or for the consequences of its use. Each individual should make a determination as to the
    suitability of the information for their particular purpose(s). This information is given in good faith and based on our current knowledge
    of the product.
    Author: Jeanette Akright
    Publication Date: April 20, 2016

Who can you trust nowadays :-)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Item 9 on Page 5 of the MSDS from the company:

Appearance:Colorless
    Physical State: Gas
    SpecGrav./Density: .540
    Boiling Point: -34.66 °C (-30.4 °F)
    Vapor Pressure: 70 @ 70 F
    Evap.Rate: Rapid

While the gas laws are not exact, they are moderately close. My graphs indicate that a mix of 60% propane, 20% n-butane and 20% isobutane would have a boiling point of about 34 C. I have chosen to make the percentages of n and iso butane the same here, as that seems to be common.

I will add two more points for caution:

Quoting the Boiling Point with two decimal places is totally UNjustified: the gas mix will vary quite a bit in practice and so will the BP. This psuedo-accuracy is typical of some Chinese filling companies. I won’t say it is fraudulent, just that it is totally unbelievable.

Quoting the vapour pressure to be 70 (without units) at 70 F (21 C) is all very well, but DoT regs require the testing to be done at 50 C, which is a long way above that. The pressure will be almost double at the DoT temperature.

As Dan said earlier, the company does sound rather dodgy.
    Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools