Topic

2300W Foldable Gas Stove, Clip-on Stove Windshield

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion 2300W Foldable Gas Stove, Clip-on Stove Windshield

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Yesterday I purchased a new stove kit for my wife. Inexpensive, $26.99 with free shipping on Amazon. Name brand Lixada. Has any anyone had any experience with this set-up?

Look forward to having her test it in our back yard camp :-)

This is what it looks like with all the parts that come with it:

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Kit arrived today. Clipped it onto a BRS3000t just for the fun of it.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The windshield reminds me of this Optimus offering

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Hi Ken, last week JEFF MCWILLIAMS mentioned that one in a thread. Got me interested in it to see the clip-on mechanism. 1st impression is it can be easily modified to fit other stoves. Has no heat transfer to canister. Jeff was spot on when he said less finicky than the …….

This coming week I’ll be asking my wife to boil water for some ramen and eggs inside easy. It’s a new found morning breakfast :-)

The kit only costs 26.99. look at all the stuff you get with it:

For upright canister stove users looking for a wind screen solution, there is one other option on the market, and that’s the Optimus clip-on windscreen.

https://www.optimusstoves.com/us/us/93-8018907-optimus-clip-on-windshield

At 87g, it’s gonna be heavier than the Ocelot, but it may be less finicky.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

That looks like a connector to one of those cheap butane cartridges

and what’s the other one?  maybe to transfer fuel to a canister???

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Locale: Sacramento

The silver piece with the valve is a lindal-to-lindal valve that you would use to top up a canister from another canister. The orange and black piece is a a notch-collar-to-lindal adapter that you would use with the silver piece to top up a canister from the cheap tall canisters filled with n-butane.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

then you could screw them together and go cheap cartridge to canister : )

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Thank you Adrian for that excelent explanation.

some photos of the refill adaptor:

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Adrian, will I be able to refill light weight Coleman Powermax gas canisters with this refill valve assembly?

Powermax canister

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Reasearch says the that type of adapter will not fit the Powermax canister….bummer.

I want to partially fill the PowerMax with Propane for cold weather use. Want to lay it on it’s side. Word has it that the canister has internal means of operating on it’s side.

I have access to 10 fluid oz. canisters of propane. Want to transfer to container that will lay flat. Cans of propane have lindal valve. Want to use with modified Kovia Spyder stove. What is best way to do the transfer?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

“Fashion Life Outdoor Camping Equipment Gas Refill Adapter Stove Gas Cylinder Gas Tank Burner Hiking Inflate Butane Canister Accessories”

from amazon

that goes cheap butane cartridge to canister

it may also go cheap butane cartridge to powermax

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Thank you for your help Jerry. I’m going to get one of those adaptors and another one I saw while there looking at various kinds.

I’m going to experiment with small 100% propane canisters. A friend likes to be out in the woods at all temperatures, pushes himself to the limits. Last year -31 degrees Northern Minnesota. I’m putting together a kit for him. Toaks 1100ml pot, titanium pot support/windscreen and the Kovia Spyder.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I’m sure you’re aware that putting propane in a butane canister can cause excessive pressure and cause it to burst

Especially if it gets warm

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

<li style=”text-align: left;”>Yes, my research of Rogers’  papers has been very informative.  Thanks for the heads-up.
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Just in case anyone else is reading this :)

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I was thinking of putting the propane into the PowerMax canister because it can be laid on it’s side due to it’s construction. Not sure yet what pressures the PowerMax container is rated at.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

It will be rated at the same pressures as any 30/70 screw-thread canister, by DoT regs.

Which means that I would NOT do it in summer time! But I (personally) might consider doing it in sub-zero weather, as the propane pressure is then low enough. But I am emphatically NOT making any recommendations or giving any advice to anyone.

You could re-read our article on exploding canisters, at
    https://backpackinglight.com/exploding_gas_canisters_the_hazard_of_overheating/
    It has graphs covering the fuels and the full temperature range. (That is a recommendation!)

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Thank you Roger.

I’m giving up the idea of refilling. I’m goint to go straight out of the 10 fluid oz. propane canister into the Kovia Spyder. I did a lot of reading of your technical papers on your Oz source recently and it made me go in a different direction.

Cheers

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

That orange&black canister adapter Dan showed above: it looks like a direct copy of the Powermax adapter, or maybe even from the same factory. However, while the adapter does fit those Chinese/Korean butane canisters with a notch in the rim, it does not seem to fit my Powermax canisters. And yet, the two look very similar.

I suspect a tiny difference in the shape of the spigot in the middle. The butane spigot seems to be ‘lower’ than the Powermax ones. Which is a pity.

You will just have to send me all your empty Powermax canisters for disposal … :)

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I suspect a tiny difference in the shape of the spigot in the middle. The butane spigot seems to be ‘lower’ than the Powermax ones. Which is a pity.

I read that info over on Hikin Jim’s site the small differnce made it a no-go.  The use of propane in frigid temps is interesting. I look forward to experimenting.

What is the difference in btu’s for propane, isobutane etc. ? Is there a chart you can point me to for the different mixtures and their btu’s? Thank you.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

>> What is the difference in btu’s for propane, isobutane etc.
    Most of the energy content and most of the mass is in the carbon atoms. The hydrogen atoms weight very little and the difference in their number per molecule does not seem to affect the result very much.

Propane: 50.3 MJ/kg
    Butane : 49.5 MJ/kg
    (My data is metric -sorry)

A Search may give you graphs, but I think the energy difference is trivial.
    The URL above for Exploding Gas canisters does have quite a few useful graphs for pressure vs temperature.

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Are they both the same when it comes down to use in extreme cold conditions? One better than the other? Very little difference?

Propane:  50.3 MJ/kg
    Butane :  49.5 MJ/kg

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

>> Are they both the same when it comes down to use in extreme cold conditions?
    Eh well, that depends (of course).
    Boiling pts:
    Butane : -0.5 C
    Propane: -42 C
    Obvious operational difference here!

BUT for actual use with an inverted canister stove, it depends on how warm you kept the canister before use.

In my pack next to my water bottle, even when skiing, I KNOW the canister will be above 0 C, like the water in the bottle. (Both are against my back.) That works for dinner and morning tea.

I store my canister inside the foot of my quilt overnight in the snow, so it is above 0 C there too (like my toes). That works for breakfast.

When using my stove in the snow, I let a bit of the radiation from the flames reach the canister to keep it warm. Naturally, I monitor just how warm the canister gets. It dos not hurt to insulate the canister from the snow either, although I had not bothered here. Well, it was a fine sunny day, after all!

Cheers

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Update and correction re gold/black adapter.
    While the mechanism for the connection to the canister looks identical, it isn’t. The Powermax has quite different internals.

Cheers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools