Topic

Bay Area BPL Sept. Hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bay Area BPL Sept. Hike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 101 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I'm still up for it, provided I get over this cold in time.

I have never been out during hunting season, so I called and spoke to a Ranger. She said that they don't have any problems with conflicts. It's potentially busy, but we still might not see any hunters. She uses the area during hunting season without any problems. She did say that it couldn't hurt to wear a bright colored article of clothing.

That's enough for me to feel comfortable.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I checked on permits today and all the reserved permits are taken for Gem Lakes which leaves 10 walk in permits which go to first come first served basis starting on Fri. 11:00 a.m. the day before the hike. Most likely you wont get a walk in permit, but I checked on another hike which goes near by to Ruby Lake and there were still 12 reservation permits left. The reason I posted this was to invite any one who has never been there, and its alot closer to our neck of the woods. Didn't want to post and not invite that would be rude, again I do not want to discourage any one from the original post. It should be a great hike. I am going to make my reservations in the morning if any one wants to go here is the resevation # 1-760-873-2483 or if you want to chance a walk in permit you pick both of them up at White Mountain Ranger Station 798 N Main Street(US 395) at Yaney St. at the north end of Bishop. Thanks and have fun hiking Jack

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Checked on the forecast looks like mid to high 50s in the day time and mid to high 30s at night. The elevation for this hike starts at 10,500 and where we are going is around 11,000 to 11,500 and aprox 5 miles round trip

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I am jealous guys. Seriously my knee is not much better, Jack I will tell you me meds tomorrow when I get a chance. I also have an idea for next summer that will be epic!!

I am very sorry guys about this. I have been at home for two days and it looks like one more day. After that, it can be 3-4 days of hobbling. It is a arthitic disease that is not fun. Please post pics!!!!!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Hey Ken working for a pharmacy has its benifits even if I'm not a pharmasist,I still get the inside scoop on things. I can tell you when I had my attack the doctor gave me Methylprednisolone for the inflamation and with in about 8 hrs I was able to walk again. It didn't treat the Gout just the inflamation,I had heard someone say cherries helped so I must have ate about 400 cherries in 2 1/2 days and within 12 hrs I was able to go back to work. There is another med for when you're having a severe attack the med is called Colchicine o.6 mg. I've never taken this one yet saving for an emergency,take it with me backpacking just in case. I'm not a doctor and I'm not trying to promote this stuff just giving you some things you can ask your doc. next time if you're not already taking them. Hope to hike with you soon and I'm still up for a winter hike just need to know what kind of extra gear I might need to buy. Thanks Jack

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

hey Jack, my meds have kicked in and I feel alot better. Unfortunately my joint in my knee does not. The swelling has gone down alot and I am moving around. In fact I am back at work tomorrow. With my knee feeling as bad as it is, I just cannot hike this weekend. There will be other hikes coming up, and trust me, I feel bad about this!!! I have never bailed on a hike before! I will post another idea real soon so keep your eyes peeled!
    Ken

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Is anyone still going on this trip?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Hey David can you get away Oct. 10-11th???? I was thinking of heading up north toward Ken Thompson….

-Jay

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

It's now looking like I won't be going this weekend. I'll post if that changes.
    I went through Big Meadow on the TRT in July and found it beautiful, so those still going should enjoy the hike in from HWY 89.

Can't do Oct 10-11 either, but have a good time Jay.

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

Hey David, Katrina and I and all of our kids(4 of them) are still going. We will leave from Santa Cruz around 7 or 8 am and it is about a 5 1/2 hr drive so that puts us at the trailhead at about 1:00 pm. I think we are the last people standing in this 100+ postings thread.(what a waist of syber space)JK:-)

Let us know if you want to come and we'll wait for you at the trail head.

PS. Ken I can think of at least 3 other times you bailed on me.Love you bro.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

one I remember and the other two I don't. My memory is fading in old age guys. To all have a good trip!!!!

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Well………I'm out too……

I haven't been feeling well all week and I'm still not up to speed.

Joshua and Katharina….have a great time!

I think I'll see if I can into Jay's trip in a couple weeks.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

So how did the trip go?

Who ultimately was able to make the trip?

Ken….did you come up with any ideas for an Oct trip?

-Tony

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Josh Billings with 3 of his kids ( 14, 9 and 7) and myself with my 14 year old daughter. The trip was fun, the lake was beautiful. Josh can fill in the rest, but we had been seeing a little smoke from across the lake and when he walked around it to fish with his little guy, he found a large area of smoldering embers; someone had had a fire and did not put it out correctly…..so we spent quite a bit of time and calories putting it out…

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Here are some pics from our hike pic3 pic 1 pic2 pic4 Six Moons Lunar Solo rite at home! pic5 pic6 pic7 Ruby Lake pic9 pic10 Don't be jealous just enjoy Mono Pass pic8 We had a great time hope to meet some of you next trip. You missed a good one Ken

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

Katrina said it all. Fun trip and we probably saved 1000s if acres. Also I tried my new black bird warbonnet with my te-wa under quilt and I don't think I'll be going back to the ground anytime soon. I slept better than I do at home.Te-wa rocks and Brandon kicks bu tt.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Sounds like a great trip….

Any idea of night time low temps?

Any hunters around?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Night was pretty warm , somewhere in the mid 40's? No hunters, just lots of mountain bikes and day hikers.

Viewing 19 posts - 101 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools