Topic

Bay Area BPL Sept. Hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bay Area BPL Sept. Hike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I'm an unemployed vagabond. So I'm free. But there's a chance that I will be in the southwest because the weather will be cooling by then. Plan without me and if I can, I'll be there!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

The 19th is not going to work for me. I have a family reunion near Fresno. How does the 28th work??? And to throw caution in the wind, what about Green Lake in the Hoover Wilderness? If that is ok, then let's go there. I know Jay has been there, but it is such a nice hike and the rewards are great. Sept. 26th Green Lake outta Bridgeport, CA.

Who is in, who is not.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I'm in

kevin smith

@divr6347

looks good for me too
    ill probably ride with jumpbackjack since we live in the same town you up for it jack ??

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Big old maybe here. Might be in Oootah by then (or at least in the process of riding my bike there). Any rides available from SF? I like the Green Lakes option as it looks interesting and I've never been.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Green Lake is a excellent place but a short 4 mile hike if that..Upside there are alot of lakes and peaks to explore around the area if one needs more mileage…

Robert Recinos

@rgrrecinos

Locale: Redwood City

I am interested in the green lake trip or where ever. What would be the plan? Where would we meet? Are some going to car pool? Do you need a bear canistor? What are the details? I'm on call for that week of the trip, but I can change it to another date. I just need some more info. on the trip to warrant my change. Can't wait to meet some of you on a hike.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Is this hike for a group of people that already all know each other or is there room for someone new? What are the dates?

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Katharina,

Having gone on a few of these trips that Ken has planned, I can tell you that they are for anyone to join in.

Heck on one of the trips, we met someone on the trail and they joined us for dinner and then tried to join us on another trip after that.

The trips have been about getting people to meet each other, make friends, maybe find new hiking buddies for future trips, and it is a great way to see other people's UL gear!

If I was not committed to a family trip this month, I would like to go on this one…we will see if I can make it.

Anyway, if you can make it, the more the merrier!

-Tony

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Katharina, you are more than welcome to come on this trip. We usually get 1-3 new folks on a trip and they eventually join in on other hikes, etc. And Tony is right, we met someone hiking and he did a trip with me and one of the others for a week…DAVE! We are all nice, easy going types that have a good time hiking. I live in Scotts Valley (noticing that you live in Santa Cruz) and you are welcome to carpool if you'd like. I have not set the desired location of the hike as of yet. I keep going back and forth on what location. I think driving 4 hours is the max that I would like to do.

Folks, I will make a definate decision real soon. Sorry for the back and forth on where to go.

Tony, too bad you cannot make it. Hope to see you on the next one!

Robert Recinos

@rgrrecinos

I have a motorcycle and was wondering if I could follow someone when the location and date is set. Also if I could mabye stow my helmet and gear in your trunk when we are off on the trail? Or carpool with someone?

Oh I just purchased The One so I will see how it works….

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

If any one wants to see some pics from our Bear Lake hike email me and I'll send you a link to shutter fly. I just bought a Six Moon designs Lunar Solo going to try it out this weekend, set it up in the yard SWEEEEEEEEET tent. I mean hybrid tarp/tent, maybe I should just call it a shelter. Either way this thing is NICE. Hey Tony it would be great it if you could make it if not see you on the next one. Robert I live in Bakersfield and depending were we go I might be able to give you a lift when it gets closer I'll know for sure. I still don't know if I'm driving up Fri. or early Sat. morning. Hi Ken hope everything is ok out your way with all the fires. I know its short notice but if any one wants to go with me to Paradise Valley in Kings Canyon this weekend I'm going up late Fri. night and going to try and snag a walk in permit Sat. morning. Probably going to stay sat. night,Sun. night and hike out Mon. morning. If I can't get a permit I will probably go to Jenny Lakes. Jack

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks Tony and Ken,
    I am definitely interested. This weekend I am going to Big Sur ( China to Pine Valley) , with a couple of teenaged girls. We will be trying out some light-er gear.
    Ken, I also live in Scotts Valley, just moved there from up the coast, inland from Ano Nuevo.
    I look forward to meeting you folks.
    Katharina

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Thought Pine Valley was burned in the fire last year. Have fun on the hike. Lots of going under logs and over logs. Beautiful place if it is still intact!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Ok, this is the final nail in the coffin kids. Dardenelle Lake off of Hwy 89 near Tahoe is the destination. Sorry for the Jimmy-Jack. This Trailhead has NO quota and all we do is hike, no sign in or anything like that. This is a beautiful hike and the lake is amazing. We can have a fire and have a nice evening out. This is for Sat. night Sept. 26th.

I would like to know who is in, and who is out. This will be the LAST hike of the season, unless anyone would like to do a Fall hike in the Sierra's ala what Jay, Josh and I did in Emmigrant last year.

Something is brewing for Point Reyes in Jan. as well as snow camping later in Yosemite.

Who's in?

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Is this trip sort of "open invitation"?

What's the mileage?

Any guess as to low temps?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Hey Dave it is open for anyone…The more the better..I can't make it because of Parkers B-Day..Go!! There is some great BPL members in the Bay Area (very nice folks)But watch out for that Ken guy he's a old PunkRocker..I am looking at Oct.10-11th to go backpacking…

-Jay

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Sorry you cannot make it Jay, have a great day with your son.

Dave, you are more than welcome to join us. Let me know!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Oh and Dave, the mileage is around 4-5 miles and I am sorry I cannot tell you the temps at this time, too soon to tell. I suspect though, that it will be in teh 20's- to early 30's

Robert Recinos

@rgrrecinos

do you need a bear canister for this trip? Also I will try and get my on call changed for this trip if I can carpool with someone. Gas money is not a problem. I'll even bring some of my favorite 18 year macallan scotch.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I'm in and I think my friend Kevin is going. Just got back from Paradise Valley this weekend good times with just my daughter and I, her 1st time there 13 mile round trip she was a trooper. The temps up there on the first night were mid to high 30s at night and 70s during the day 2nd night 50s at night. This probably won't help with trying to figure out the temps for our hike just letting you guys know what we encuontered but I would expect the same if not colder. Tried out the new Six Moons Designs Lunar Solo, it worked great for the both of us even though its not designed for two. Hey Ken if you could shot me the directions I would appreciate it. Thanks,Can't wait for another hike. Jack

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I think I'm in, just need to confirm, I'll let you know. Sounds great!

Sorry you can't make it, Jay. Where do you think you'll go on Oct 10/11?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I,m in. Bear canister?

Michael Cockrell

@cal-ee-for-nia

Locale: Central Valley, Lodi-Stockton, CA

Was just at Dardenelle Lake last Saturday. Nice setting!

I started from Carson Pass TH, made it a 15-mi out/back day. I added 4.5-mi to Showers Lake for a full 19.5-mi.

Can be windy on the east side of lake, but alot of sheltered campsites.Dardenelle Lake, east shore

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Michael thanks for the pic. I have been there twice and love the lake. Very pretty!

No cannister required!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools