Topic

FlexAir UL Pillow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) FlexAir UL Pillow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

I find one pillow is not very comfortable. Your head rolls around on it like a melon… rather than sinking into it as you’re used to with a real pillow. My solution was to take two of… I believe the small ones… and sew them together. This works brilliantly. You end up with a full sized pillow that craddles your head very nicely. As others have pointed out… the durability probably won’t be great. These are meant to be disposable pillows for EMS use… mostly. It’s great that BPL is selling them now… but I’d rather buy a case of 50 (which would make 25 of my double pillows) for $25 than spend $5 for 3.

Here’s the thread about my monster water wing pillow BTW…

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/1765/index.html

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I haven’t tried the pillows yet… but I think the problem is one between side and back sleepers.

I can see how sewing a pair of these would be comfy to back sleepers (the aforementioned “cradling effect”). However, I think that can be uncomfortable for side sleepers like me, to have a “gutter” in between.

Another solution might be to order in a bigger size (see my post above for dimensions of both sizes).

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

I sleep in all positions… but mostly front and back… and I prefer the dual pillow approach. In any case… they are pretty cheap… if you buy in bulk… so you can always get a bunch of them and experiment.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Deborah,

It was as you suspected. I hope that I didn’t give any offense. I’ve been “burned” a number of times in the past and just haven’t learned not to always trust people. The “Regulars” I feel I know a bit and believe that all are trustworthy – even those that, understandably, don’t like my long posts or that I rub the wrong way.

However, I’ll make an exception in your case and put you down for 5-10, depending upon demand. Again, I’m sorry if I gave any offense, I’m a cheapskate and didn’t want to be out the shipping in case someone who isn’t serious about this website decided not to send shipping cost back to me. This was a general “concern”, not aimed specifically at you.

If you’re still fine with 5 to 10, depending upon demand, then I’ll put you down for them (already have in a file on hard drive). If, after reading this, you are no longer interested, just Post back and tell me and I’ll take you off the list.

Many thanks for being understanding.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>For those who have used this, how do you like this pillow?

I’ve used one twice in my hammock. I barely inflated it, so I didn’t have any problem with my head rolling off. I wore a hat, so comfort of the fabric didn’t matter much, but it is a soft material (like well-washed cotton) and not too crinkly. It didn’t slip out from under my head during the night, which is a problem I’ve had with heavier pillows (e.g., my clothing bag). I’m going to continue to use it with my hammock because a bit of pillow keeps me from getting a stiff neck. I don’t know how long it will last, but it isn’t showing any wear yet.

Steve Robinson
    BPL Member

@jeannie-2

I’d take 5 if you put together an order.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Go, Paul! :)

paul johnson

@pj

Ben, et al.

One case of the larger pillows has been ordered. Being a cheapskate, I picked the default, standard Ground shipping option. Not sure when it will arrive. I’ll post back when it arrives and we can communicate about to where and how your pillows should be shipped to you. I think USPS will be the optimum way and I think packaging is free, or so someone posted a while back about using USPS tyvek envelopes for making free light weight gear.

After I post back that the case has arrived, at your convenience email me at [email protected] (that’s the numeral zero, not a capital ‘O’ in the email address).

Pleasant dreams.

Here’s the count thus far:
    Benjamin Tang 10
    pj 4+any left over (right now 11 unclaimed)
    Deborah Kramer 10
    Dale Wambaugh 5
    Craig Shelley 5
    Steve Robinson 5

11 unclaimed. Any takers?

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Paul – no problem, and no offense taken; I should have said in my last post that I DO understand your reluctance to ship to someone you don’t “know”. I would still love to get the 5-10 large pillows. Thanks – Debbie

paul johnson

@pj

Deborah, Our latest posts crossed in the “ether”. I had put you down for ten as you requested.

Robert Miller

@procab

pj,

Put me in for 5-10 depending on demand.

Thanks,
    Robert

paul johnson

@pj

Benjamin Tang = 10
    pj = 5
    Deborah Kramer = 10
    Dale Wambaugh = 5
    Craig Shelley = 5
    Steve Robinson = 5
    Robert Miller = 7
    M F Keil = 3

All are accounted for.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thank you for doing this, Paul! How should we give you with our mailing addresses and payments?

paul johnson

@pj

Ben, bu ke qi. my pleasure.

After I post back that the case has arrived, at your convenience email me at

[email protected]

(that’s the numeral zero, not a capital ‘O’ in the email address).

We’ll discuss shipping details, i.e. method and address, and then after you receive your pillows you can send me the cost of shipping them.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

OK. Thanks again.

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

Guess I did not act fast enough.Oh well not to worry. Another opportunity will show itself sooner or later. Thanks for the effort PJ. That is what community is for.

PJ,the other pea will take 3. (Already ordered the small yesterday from BPL, darn!)

I use one the pillow cases that are sold at REI constructed of a lightweight blue fuzzy knit fabric that weighs in at 1.5 oz. This would keep the pillow cleaner and probably protected to some extent for those concerned about hygene and such.

Robert Miller

@procab

pj,

Feel free to fill Mr Keils needs from my allotment.

Robert

paul johnson

@pj

Mitchell,

The 50 are all already accounted for. Unless you can convince those with 10 to give up one each there aren’t 3 available at this time. Groveling might work? Or…perhaps, flattery?

paul johnson

@pj

Robert, I was editing my reply to Mitchell while you were posting. You are very kind. I’ll make the adjustment.

Hear that, Mitchell. No need to grovel. You weren’t seriously considering such were you? Ee-gads man!! Where is your dignity? They’re only pillows!!

Well, at least you got three.

Thanks again Robert.

Benjamin Tang = 10
    pj = 5
    Deborah Kramer = 10
    Dale Wambaugh = 5
    Craig Shelley = 5
    Steve Robinson = 5
    Robert Miller = 7
    M F Keil = 3

All are accounted for.

BTW, I checked my email 10-15 min ago, b/f checking for new posts. Rcv’d email that they’ve shipped already (or so they say) and should arrive at my humble domicile in 3-4 days (i would guess NOT counting the weekend, i.e. 3-4 business days). The tracking # was not supplied, and using the package ID did not produce results – pkg not yet in the UPS system. I’ll try later tonight. As soon as I get a good track, I’ll post a link here, in case anyone is interested in tracking.

I’ll post back when the case arrives and then y’all can email me.

I’m thinking USPS is the cheapest way to ship and I might be able to get free Tyvek envelopes from the local P.O. (no…not my parole officer, the Post Office).

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Barely inflated helps… but trust me… just try the two pillow thing sewn together… you’ll be amazed at how comfy it is.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Paul:

As stated, I’m committed to buying 10. However, if any latecomer wants to join up, feel free to reduce mine down to 5 — in other words, I don’t have to hog all 10. Thanks!

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Same goes for me – I don’t have to hog 10 of them (although I’m perfectly happy to have that many if it works out that way).

paul johnson

@pj

Ben and Deborah, Your offers are very kind. If anyone wants to take you up on your offer, I’ll make the adjustments – evenly divided between the two of you.

Odd number pose a problem – so since Ben asked for pillows first, I’ll reduce them as follows:

if someone wants 3, then 2 from. D. and 1 from B. if another person wants 3, the 2 fr/B. & 1 fr/D.

I think at this point, if anyone else is interested, requests will be limited it to a max of 5 per person.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

That seems fair to me, o Solomon the wise!

:-)

paul johnson

@pj

Deborah, Boy…am I glad I didn’t say I’d cut the “odd” numbered one in half !!

Also, thanks for using the english translation, Solomon. However, the sound of the original hebrew name, might fit me better = Shlomo (both o’s are pronounced like long o’s).

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools