Topic

FlexAir UL Pillow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) FlexAir UL Pillow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/flexair_ultralight_pillow.html

I remember sometime ago, there was a “group purchase” of sorts. For those who have used this, how do you like this pillow? Also:

1. How comfortable is it? How does it feel next to skin?

2. How many times (approx) can you use and reuse this pillow — before discarding?

3. Can this pillow be washed?

4. Any problems with leakage, etc. that would prompt you to carry a spare?

Thanks in advance.

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

I am interested in the same issue. I don’t personally want to buy 50 pillows, but if enough of us want this item and it proves to be not just a good deal but a “good” product, then maybe we can get BPL to offer it in the store. OR, maybe we can get another co-op together to make a group purchase. So, let’s get some response here.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Paul:

Yet again, “great minds” think alike (see my link in the orginal post). While $5 is very little money, there’s still something about paying $5 for three when you can get it for 46 cents each! Problem is, of course, you have to buy in bulk.

The pillows come in two sizes:

14″ x 10.5″
    19″ x 12.5″

paul johnson

@pj

Ben, Mixed emotions right now. I ordered a three-pack earlier today from BPL (read my email from BPL which mentioned this product before reading the Forums). So, we now know there is only one great mind betwixt the two of us – namely you, Ben Tang.

Ben, I’m going to Bookmark the link you placed in your post. Thanks for posting it.

Ben or anyone reading this let me know if BPL stops selling these in the future (just make an OBVIOUS Post on the Forums). If BPL stops, I’ll order a case or two (depending upon interest), keep three or four for myself and send the rest out just for the shipping cost to send them to those of you who put up with my posts on these Forums. I figure I owe it to y’all for all that I’ve learned on these Forums.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

We ARE the same! Like you, I totally capitulated as well, and ordered a set of 3 from BPL.

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

DITTO! It would be nice,though, to have a Queen size pillow to sleep on in the wilds.Oh well,1/2 oz is better than the 6oz inflatable I have carried. Looking forward to snoozing on this one and providing a comment or two about it in the forums. Thanks Paul and Ben. ( Is there room in the pod for another pea?)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Three peas in a pod! :)

Alas, BPL only sells the smaller version. Given the very light weight, I would love to try the bigger one — but obviously don’t want to buy 50 of them…

This is my current pillow — cheap, comfy (love the size) and relatively light.

Craig Shelley

@craig_shelley

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I bought a few very early on and then I bought a case myself so I could have more to experiment with.

I have taken them on a few short trips. Their durability isn’t great. The valve works well but eventually leaks. I haven’t popped one. I haven’t tried washing them. I don’t think it would work well as water would get inside the pillow. They do start getting a smell with repeated use. Sewing two together is easy and makes a much better pillow. This was described on the site.

I’ve experimented using them together with a closed cell torso pad to get something closer to an air mattress for comfort. I’ve had mixed results in use on actual trips. Last month I took a couple spares on a short backpacking trip, and used them.

In my opinion, three isn’t enough to last very long.

Craig Shelley

paul johnson

@pj

Ben, You saw my post in the other Thread about my source for the three different colored funnels, right? You understood where I purchased them, correct?

Ben, since BPL doesn’t sell the larger pillow, if there is sufficient interest in the larger pillow, I could order a case of them. What do y’all think? Can Forum Regulars account for 50 of them? If so, I’ll get a case, and ship them to you. After receiving them, just send the shipping cost back to me.

Let me know by replying to this post if you’re interested and how many you’d want.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yeaahhhhh! I’m using an Army surplus MASH inflatable pillow now, which works well but it weighs 6oz. more than these little disposables, so I’m going to give them a try.

The MASH pillow is a neat design, with three compartments, so it doesn’t squirt out from under your head as easily as a single compartment pillow will do.

The MASH pillow design in a Mylar foil (like the foil balloons) and a decent valve would do the trick. I put a tee shirt or fleece around mine, which feels better that the clammy plastic. I would do the same with the disposables.

HEY MOE, how about a mylar balloon for a pillow? Geez– it’s so obvious. Hehehe– fill it with helium on your way and tie it to your pack– zero added weight!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hi Paul:

Yup, I saw your other post. :)

Thanks for the offer of buying a case of the larger pillows. I’ll take 5 (or less if demand from everyone else should exceed supply).

paul johnson

@pj

Ok. A case of 50 large air pillows. You can get the smaller ones from BPL if the large pillow is unacceptable.

B.T. 5
    pj 4

That leaves 41 to be claimed. Any more Forum Regulars want to claim one or more?

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I’ll take 5 (if you’re having trouble getting others to commit I’ll take as many as 10)!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Yeaahhhhh! I’m using an Army surplus MASH inflatable pillow now, which works well but it weighs 6oz. more than these little disposables, so I’m going to give them a try.

The MASH pillow is a neat design, with three compartments, so it doesn’t squirt out from under your head as easily as a single compartment pillow will do.

The MASH pillow design in a Mylar foil (like the foil balloons) and a decent valve would do the trick. I put a tee shirt or fleece around mine, which feels better that the clammy plastic. I would do the same with the disposables.

HEY MOE, how about a mylar balloon for a pillow? Geez– it’s so obvious. Hehehe– fill it with helium on your way and tie it to your pack– zero added weight!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

In case that was confusing, I just ordered a three pack from BPL. If you do order the larger ones, I’ll take 5 too.

Craig Shelley

@craig_shelley

Paul, I’d like to continue experimentation and would like about five large pillows.

Craig Shelley

Craig Shelley

@craig_shelley

Double posted by clicking back on browser.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I assume that a case of 50 comes with 50 straws? Imagine if we all have to share one straw! (Hehe).

Paul — Like Deborah above, if demand falls short, I’ll take up to 10 as well.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

In case Paul’s edit to underscore REGULARS was aimed at me, I am a regular *reader* (but not poster) on this forum. I have, however, ordered a few of these pillows from Bryan K Saine (SloHiker) in the past (see the old UL Pillow thread) and paid promptly, so if you’re worried about my trustworthiness you may contact him.

Debbie

Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Locale: North Cascades

anyone tried a boxed wine bladder? mylar, pretty tough, and a built in valve.

Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I’ve recently had pretty good success using a 3-ounce Z-Seat as a pillow (or at least the core of a pillow, wrapped in a T-shirt or windbreaker.) Added advantages: it makes a nice seat during rest stops (no need to disengage the sleeping pad I’m using as a pack frame), and it can be used as padding under my legs when it turns cooler than expected.

Michael Wands

@walksoftly

Locale: Piney Woods

I have had very good success with a one gallon ziplock freezer bag. It is not only light and holds air for multiple nights, but is a multiple-use item.

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

If durability of the flexair doesn’t work for anyone during longer hikes, I might recommend a Big Agnes Air Core Pillow at 3.5 oz. I received a free one with a sleeping bag order and seems like a nice pillow and a bit lighter than other pillows of the same design on the market.

http://www.bigagnes.com/str_acc.php

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

dup

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools