Climbing Half Dome was the second most terrifying experience of my life and just thinking about a person falling off of that face makes my stomach lurch. I can barely imagine meeting an end like that.
Although I think the cables were safe despite how I felt at the time, I encountered two problems: 1) a lot of idiots who couldn't make it to the top but refused to go down getting in everybody's way, and 2) the temptation to unsafely go around these people. Since it's probably unreasonable to educate the public about what kind of climb this is and discourage people from attempting it if they will become paralyzed with fear, the next best option would probably to make going around these people easier and just install a third cable, with a sign at the bottom: "this cable for serious climbers only. If you want to take a 20 minute rest in the middle of the climb, use a different cable."

