I must be terrible at articulating my thoughts though, because I never thought I'd get accused of having an 'ideology of use.' I like trees. I think people should live in densely populated cities to reduce our impact on the land. I've read the Monkey Wrench Gang. etc.
In my original post on this whole topic, I was the one who pointed out that if the NPS stats are correct, 50,000 people a year ascend Half Dome. 4 people have died since 2007. (2 of them died when the cables were down, and I don't know how many people had serious falls) I maintained that it didn't seem particularly dangerous in light of these statistics, and so probably nothing had to be done to make it safer.
But it was being tossed around here and elsewhere, that perhaps something should be done to make the cables safer.
Since it was being kicked around, and I found the idea interesting philosophically, I did throw the question out there(I thought I was being Socratic): If you leave the land untouched, fine. Everyone is responsible for themselves. My gut feeling is that the cables should not be there, despite a relatively safe record. I could be convinced otherwise though.
Yosemite has road and trails allowing people into the park, so 'untouched' is out the window. Now, though once you've 'improved' (and believe me, I don't like that word) things by making a trail and putting up cables, do you have a further responsibility for people's safety?
At minimum, to restate again, I should be able to trust the cables are well-maintained (possibly an issue in this death beyond the weather). Beyond that, they should at least be informed in no uncertain terms that what they are doing is dangerous, and why. (You'd think this'd be obvious, but shockingly, it isn't. But then most people don't spend a lot of time outdoor and so don't really grasp that it can be a dangerous place) Beyond that, we helped you get there, you've been warned, you're on your own.
But, I think other people could reasonably argue that more is required in that situation. I'm not that person though.
My one quibble with the way HD is managed is that the NPS does take down the cables in winter. That's a tacit admission that sometimes it is too dangerous and they're actively discouraging the inexperienced. So why then but not in a late-season storm?
Now, should the land be improved? That's another question. Most if not all animals alive use (improve) their environment. Bird's build nests, foxes dig burrows, humans generally mess everything up.
Is it an ideology of use to be happy there are trails out there? Trails are a concession to people like me that haven't learned how to use a map and compass well yet, and prevent me from ever having to. Bad thing?
I'll also quibble with 'common sense' which is a relative and relatively meaningless term when used in an argument When people say 'common sense' they invariably mean their own, or their group of peers. Common sense has changed way too much over time – to borrow a page, It was once common sense (and still is in some places )that certain races are less than human. Any kind of debate will fall apart if people start using 'common sense' as a point of reference. And I even happen to agree with most of your stated 'common sense.'
As a backpacker and as someone who always thought of himself as environmentally conscious, I care a lot about how the land is used and what our place in it is. I'm finding this and the LNT thread fascinating because they get to the core of that.