Topic

40% off at Backcountry…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals 40% off at Backcountry…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 293 total)
  • Author
    Peter Gurin

@intheswim

Randolf Great Post! I'm with ya… hahahaaa

Peter Gurin

@intheswim

I'm surprised no one mentioned ebates.com

I normally use it but didn't when i placed my backcountry.com orders during the sale.

I figured someone would have mentioned it if backcountry.com was on ebates.com, but i also kinda forgot. 8(

4% is alot, normally store do like 2%…..

Its a great site and they put the money straight into your paypal account every quarter or so.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Here's my story-
    I ordered a WM Megalite from Backcountry when there were 3 left in inventory. I received notice that my order was complete. This was on Saturday. I checked on Monday and al my other orders shipped except the Megalite order. On Tuesday I received an email saying that my Megalite was out of stock. I tried to email back 3 times with no response.
    Today I called, they said there must have been a mistake with the inventory, and there where no Megalites in stock.
    I asked to just keep the order open and ship when the back order came in. He said they have no plans to order any new WM bags.
    I guess they were just trying to get ride of old inventory!

Robert Bryant

@kg4fam

Locale: Upstate

"He said they have no plans to order any new WM bags."

Earlier in this thread folks mention that the Alpinlite was sold out. Now it is back in stock. They seem to have a good stock of Versalite(10), Ultralite(17), and Alpinlite(9) right now. They are even listing one Megalite, but I could see stock numbers being off by one (especially if the guy that you talked to just canceled you order and did not fix the stock numbers) It looks like they are restocking WM.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

So who is it that lost out on this sale?

Probably other retailers that had agreements with WM
    to not advertise their bags at a lower than MAP price.

It may be that backcountry.com is morphing into
    Walmart.

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

My cart lost the code so I contacted their live chat. They confirmed that the code was valid but finished up with this after talking to a supervisor:

"Okay.. looks like there was a glitch in the system that somehow allowed this to work , but was not a valid use of the coupon code. The items showing in your cart are only available on the regular site and are not on sale on the outlet site. I am sorry but I cannot offer you a discount on the western mountaineering bag. I could offer you a small discount on the patagonia jacket, but that is all I can so, sorry"

Robert Bryant

@kg4fam

looks like you killed it off. I still have the code in my cart and now it only discounts 40% off outlet items.

jonathan lorenz

@punkture

Locale: Northern California

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

This 40% off feeding frenzy is hilarious.

Guilt, anger, justifications and rationalizations, hiding credit card run-ups from the spouse ("I know we're on a tight budget…but I NEEDED that gear, honey! I swear I'll stop buying stuff now!"), Western Mountaineering clearance conspiracies, the gambler rush of pressing the "continue to checkout" button…

…it's got it all.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"It's OK is someone else loose out, just so long as it's not me."

Entitlement – Circumstances, timing, preparation, luck … don't matter.
    "If someone else got it I should be able to get it."

Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

I don't understand this attitude. This deal was always suspect. I would not have felt right taking advantage of it without talking to BC first.

For my part, I took advantage of the deal twice, but called BC and explained the entire deal both times before placing my orders. Both times, I was told to go ahead and use the discount.

Craig, well put! I've enjoyed the posts as much as the discount. Well not really, but almost.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

I'm with Bill on this. I didn't feel right without having them verify it was okay. If you are placing an order that seems shady, it's good (and honest) to verify witht he vendor that things are correct. If they are not, you have no reason to be angry or upset if it doesn't pan out. On the other hand, if you get the green light, then go for it.

It sounds to me like there are communication issues inside of BC that are leading to inconsistent support. Like Bill, I was told it was okay, but now it appears that other people may are hearing otherwise.

Also, the drama that has been unfolding here is absolutely top notch entertainment.

Robert Bryant

@kg4fam

"I'm with Bill on this. I didn't feel right without having them verify it was okay. If you are placing an order that seems shady, it's good (and honest) to verify witht he vendor that things are correct. If they are not, you have no reason to be angry or upset if it doesn't pan out. On the other hand, if you get the green light, then go for it."

So now that someone has talked to a supervisor and we know it is glitch and not a honest discount are you going to return all your goodies?

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Cash flow is a big issue right now. Many local business
    are selling stuff at cost or less just to make payroll and
    taxes as their loans have dried up. Some are and some will
    go out of business unless credit loosens up.

Bargains to be had, but not forever.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

David,

I'd be happy to increase your cash flow with another oware bivy….at cost!

=)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

"So now that someone has talked to a supervisor and we know it is glitch and not a honest discount are you going to return all your goodies?"

Ahh, my friends…a moral conundrum indeed.

In the end, it's every man for himself; we must stand and face our conscience/creator alone.

:)

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

What about all the $500 snowboards they unloaded? We're making a big deal about WM bags and Montbell clothing.

Brian Johnson

@sirclimbsalot

Locale: Midwest

B/C management meeting prior to this thread:

"Yeah, but if too many people call and ask about this coupon, it was a glitch"….wink, wink,…nudge, nudge…

Just because someone "officially" said this was a glitch, that may be the "official" public statement just to keep peace with their vendors. I would not be so easily convinced it was an "accident". They may have just gotten the cashflow they needed to stay afloat for a while.

Brian J

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

They knew about the "problem" when someone from this forum called on the first code, weeks ago….then it happened again. I'm unconvinced it was really a glitch, or that they are concerned about all the sales.

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

"So now that someone has talked to a supervisor and we know it is glitch and not a honest discount are you going to return all your goodies?"

No, why would I do that? The CS dude told me my order was legit. I placed my order with all information available between me and the vendor. If they gave somebody else different information, that does not make my deal bad or dishonest in any way.

Nice try though. :)

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

I've just slit my wrists, set my sleeping bag on fire, and mailed Backcountry a check to bring the sale up to full retail. Things are going a bit dim, but boy do I feel better.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

I am overstocked on daypack stuffsacks. Could let those
    go at cost.

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

"looks like you killed it off. I still have the code in my cart and now it only discounts 40% off outlet items."

As I said, like you my cart was still open but the discount no longer applied to stuff from the main store. That's why I contacted them. So the code was already gone, and the supervisor the support person spoke to already knew about the glitch.

And the possibility that this was a glitch was specifically canvassed by posters on this thread – and for the record I didn't raise that with Backcountry, they told me off their own bat.

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

"NOT TO TALK TO SUPPORT. Thats the second time. Thanks for ruining it for the rest of us."

The codes stopped working for new acquisitions over a week ago. My cart was still open but the codes already didn't work on it.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 293 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools