Topic

PPPPD (Pounds Per Person Per Day)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition PPPPD (Pounds Per Person Per Day)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 101 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Alex,

This is a REALLY old thread. I suggest starting a new thread, maybe with a more descriptive heading.

Something along the lines of 'Help me reach 3000 cal under 1.5 PPPD'

This will let people know exactly what you are asking about.

Good that you've added your spreadsheet. I'd be interested to know the weight of a day's food packaging. I'm guessing up around another 2-3oz PPPD there.

At a guess, I'd add some good quality butter to your oatmeal, and some PB or almond/cashew butter to your lunch.

The basic problem is that you're running long on carbs and short on fat. Your figures are all 10 cal/oz give or take, except Dinner, and if you take the olive oil out at dinner, it's the same.

Alex Blondeau

@alex_blondeau

Hi Rod,
    Yeah, I had wondered about the age of this thread. I'll toss up a new thread as you suggest and see what comes back.

Thanks for your thoughts thus far. I'd imagine that will be the general shape of the feedback I'll get.

Question: how does one manage the butter/peanut butter rationing? Should they be packed individually? Or does one just bring a tub of each? If the former… how? Perhaps the butter could just go in with the oatmeal in a zilock bag… hmm…

Alex Blondeau

@alex_blondeau

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Carry single serving packets. Easiest way to control serving size. See http://www.minimus.biz

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Mike wrote: "The way to gage success is how much food is leftover at the end, and with 1.4 PPPPD there was almost zero."

You are so right about measuring the success of a menu by the food leftover. We've found that to be a good number too. It seems to balance out with us because I eat slightly less than that and Bryan eats slightly more. Tobias is running about 1.2 to 1.6 PPPPD but he's a growing pre-teen. Sometimes he eats it all… sometimes he doesn't and I find his intake is the most difficult to gauge at this point. This has changed quite a bit since my initial post in this thread but he's a growing boy. I've also found that I bake a little more on trips than I used to and that has increased the weight a bit.

Our goal is a little different. We always (and I know this isn't UL) take 1 extra meal and an extra energy bar per person on trips that are longer than 5 days. It's a paranoia thing really. I've only brought home more than the emergency rations on one ocassion and that was because I was ill on the trail (extreme heat and dehydration). It was in my early days and when we used to rely solely on store-bought and commercial backpacking foods.

We are taking our 14 month old into the wilds this summer so it will be interesting to see how much her food items add up to be. It won't be an aggressive outing as it's a paddle trip to a wilderness lake. We will be base camping and going on daily explorations for 3 nights then moving to another lake for a final night. The biggest day will be about 6 to 8 kilometers of paddling and 10 kilometers of portaging (hiking) and then we will base camp. The caloric needs won't be as high and I'll be carrying the baby and gear so it won't be lightweight as she's 21 lbs. We pack for paddling as if we were backpacking due to space constraints in the canoe. We are four in a 17 foot vessel.

Viewing 5 posts - 101 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools