Topic

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Pads

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Pads

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 427 total)
  • Author
    Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I just got back from a very cold (for my area) trip. I am testing a 20 F Downhugger bag and a Nemo Nano Elite tent. I brought the Neo Air to see how it does in cold. The first night it got down to 28 F. The second night it hit 25 F and because of massive condensation I had to leave the door completely open (not even the mesh). In the early morning hours some breeze finally started blowing which was hitting me straight on my side through the door.

The first night the Neo was as good as my Big Agnes IAC in every way. I was on a flat (sideways) site, with some angle lengthwise. The crinkle noise that you notice when playing with the Neo in your living room was negligible to me in the tent. I felt zero cold spots sleeping in the Downhugger. Now this may have been another story had I been in my BA Zirkel that is rated to 20 F too. But it has no insulation between me and the pad. I came away from this night thinking the Neo is tops.

The second night I had to set up on an uneven site. I was falling off to the side. I found that the Neo’s side oriented chambers made me feel as if it was easier to roll off, in fact it felt like I was being directed to the edge. After 5 years of using various pads with the chambers running lengthwise I feel safe in saying that my IAC does keep me in place better when my body is at an angle.

This night saw it get colder as mentioned above. I only got cold for a very short duration of time in the early morning hours. I put my hand under my body in a few times and in a few places to verify that I was feeling cold spots through the pad. But it was not that bad.

I like the pad a lot. I love how small it packs down. I love the weight. I like the way that it does seem to be useful in cold situations. But I would not take it to the Sierras in fall where I have been surprised by temps in the teens.

I did not like the way it wants to dump me when laying on an angle. It slipped down my tent floor a lot the first night where I was level sideways, but had a slight angle head-to-foot. It also is a pain in the butt to fold in thirds when the bag is cold because it is quite stiff when cold, and it does not have anything to follow like pads with lengthwise panels.

But it is very comfortable. As comfortable as any pad I have ever used with the exception of my Exped Downmat 9. With the gains received from the size and weight I see this being a pad that makes it in my pack about five months a year, maybe more. I will be keeping it…

One other thing I thought about but did not verify at the temps I was at. The surface of the pad feels very plastic-y. I don’t know how this will translate to sleeping directly on the surface when using a quilt or a bag in quilt-mode as I often do. I will be looking at this in the future as I bought a quilt this winter.

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

Raymond – I was sleeping directly on the pad in boxers using my MegaLite as a quilt and found the material to be plenty comfy. Regarding folding in thirds, I only fold mine in half. It's easier and it rolls into a smaller cylinder that fits better in my pack. YMMV.

V k
    Spectator

@vladimir_ek

Locale: New York

I've used neo Air for one night and while I like everything about it I do have a concern. It seems that the pad deflates slowly to a point where after 8 hours or so it needs a couple of breaths to top it off. I've now tested and confirmed this indoors where the temperature is stable. I think there might be a small hole it it somewhere. I've used BA aircore for a while and never had this issue.
    Has anyone else noticed this with Neo Air?

Exchanged it for another one. Testing indoors shows no leaks in this one.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I started a thread on this topic, but it didn't go anywhere. I guess it is easier to tack onto the giant NeoAir thread. Anyway, I am considering carrying both a thinlight along with a NeoAir. The thinlight will work as a sit pad while hiking and lie underneath the NeoAir while sleeping. This will help protect the NeoAir, while providing a bit more warmth. I had assumed that you could calculate the total R-Value by simply combining the R-Value of the pads. I also assumed that it wouldn't make a difference which pad is on the top. However, it seems that you lose warmth through the sides and that you lose more if you have the NeoAir on top. This makes some sense, I guess. In any event, this is the only place I can see you losing heat.

So, if that is the case, perhaps it makes sense to add foam on the side. Ideally, it might make sense to create an envelope out of CCF, and then slip the NeoAir into it (I'm pretty sure someone else suggested this). This seems like a bit of overkill for summer use, but it would certainly be warmer. For summer use, maybe even thinner foam (if it exists) could be used for the top, or maybe just some other fabric.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Ray

> at the temps I was at. The surface of the pad feels very plastic-y.

Yes, you are right. I have used fabric with a heavy layer of PU coating in the snow, and it became very stiff. So I might be a bit concerned about the underside of the NeoAir when sleeping on very cold snow.

Cheers

Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

Hello all. I placed an order with REI for the NeoAir size large. It was backordered but at least I had it on the way. I got an e-mail from them today telling me that the manufacturer had discontinued the size large. Can anyone confirm this?

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Now, why would they have to discontinue the product? An interesting story, no doubt.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

i usually have to top off my BA Aircore once a night – have had to do this with every inflating pad i've ever owned

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

"I've now tested and confirmed this indoors where the temperature is stable. I think there might be a small hole it it somewhere"

Maybe. Or it may be that your breath is a lot warmer than ambient temps, and when it cools it deflates. The only inflatable pad I have used that doesn't do this uses a remote pump sack that filled the mat with 'room temperature' air rather than my own breath…

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Ross, I too am curious if anyone has tried this – wrapping a thinlight, or similar pad, around (bottom & sides at a minimum) an air mattress in order to maximize thermal resistance for the weight and minimize heat loss through the sides…

I just picked up a 29" wide 1/8" cc pad that I plan to test this theory with but am curious if anyone else has tried this also. Perhaps switching between my Downmat 7 will give good comparison to see if it even gets close.

If this set up works well for pushing the NeoAir into 3+ season use, this could turn out to be around 12 oz. or so total.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Just got back from an overnighter in the Cascades and camped out on the snow to road test the Neoair short. Since it's still winter up there I took along my MB Monoframe Diamond double wall tent. The sleep system included an MB UL SS #5 (18oz), an Equinox bivy (in case of condensation, but there was none), and the BPL Cocoon pullover and pants. I also paired the Neo with a 1/8th Thinlight, which I put on top. After the sun went down the temp droped to freezing but because of the double wall tent the interior got down to only 36F.

I have to admit that I had doubts initially, but it surprised me with a warm, restful sleep that usually eludes me with other pads. In fact I was a little too warm at times and had to unzip the pullover and uncinch the bag's hood. There were no cold spots or chills from this pad combo! I did notice that the top of the Thinlight always felt warm to the touch, while the top of the Neo underneath felt cold, so I doubt that it would have been comfortable as a stand-alone at this temp.

In spite of the tacky surface the Neo had a tendency to migrate downhill on the tent floor during the night, but the Thinlight stuck to it just fine. I think the coldness of the snow affected the tacky coating on the bottom somehow and made it less so.

No problem with leaks, but as the warm air from inflating cooled and contracted it looked only 3/4 inflated, which actually enhanced the comfort and prevented rolling off. However, when sat upon it would bottom out of course and then the cold would come through. So for sitting I used the Thinlight.

All in all, this pad passed with flying colors given the right tweak. Only time will tell if it is sturdy (it better be for what it cost me)!

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Okay, so I'm about to take the plunge and get one, just wanted to see if anyone has any experience or thoughts about the possibility of using a neo-air in a chair kit.

Love my BA Air Core for this purpose….wondering if the neo-air will stand up to the abuse this type of use entails…

Sam .

@samurai

Locale: NEPA

"I got an e-mail from them today telling me that the manufacturer had discontinued the size large. Can anyone confirm this?"

I asked Cascade Designs about this yesterday when I had them on the line about something else. I can confirm that they have NOT discontinued the large NeoAir. They told me that they currently have only one machine to make these with and probably won't have enough regulars, mediums, and small until fall, when they will start on the large. I am waiting for an email concerning the seats too.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Back from 5 days using the neoair. Paired it with a 1/8" CCF underneath to protect from punctures and add a little insulating value. I did occasionally use a 20" length pad on top for my hip and shoulder and was very comfortable in temps down to -3C to 5*C…it works a little like the downmats out there where you have to wait for your body heat to warm the air in the pad, so originally it may feel cool to lie on but warm up after a few minutes.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

coupled with a 1/8" pad you were comfortable own to 5? wow.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

That's Celsius: Steve was dealing with temps between 26 and 41 Fahrenheit.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

?

Dude, that's 3 pads.
    That really doesn't sound too impressive to me.
    Sounds about equal to 1 short ridgrest… only no doubt it was way more cushy!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Matt, thanks for the conversion…I keep forgetting about that. :)

Chris, yeah the pad isn't anything special…just cushy. I was just letting people know what system I used.

Edit: I should add that I think I would have been easily capable of getting by without the torso pad, but with the conditions I was dealing with, I wasn't in the mood to start testing the limits all night.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Cushy def has it's moments.

Nate just seemed extra impressed, but now looking back, I realize he was probably making a joke.

wink smiley

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

No, I wish I were that subtle. I just read it quickly. Probably has something to do with my neo-air being in the mail and the excitement to try/test it out. Hoping I don't have to go back to the heavy pad….like I did the last three times I tried to switch to something lighter.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I'd really like to get a Neo Air. I can and have slept on the z-lite, but as a side sleeper, and inflatable mat would be nice. Last year it was an REI 1.75 trekker at 26oz. Right now, I use a trimmed z-lite combined with the sitlite pad from my GG Gorilla, for about a 47" pad that weight ~7.5oz.

What I'm having trouble deciding is what length NeoAir to buy. The reason I'm having trouble is after spending all this time cutting weight, a NeoAir would be buying something that increased my weight.

I can fit on a 47" pad if I sleep with my head off the pad, on a pillow. (I used my platypus) But at 2.5" thick, I don't think the platypus will be thick enough. I could bring along some bubble wrap to supplement at about .5 oz. I also wonder how it would feel to have my legs falling off of it at the bottom. That'd make my pad system 9.5oz. 10.5 with the 1/8" CCF for early/late season trips.

The regular at 60" would be plenty long, but at 13oz, my baseweight would increase 5.5oz. I know a good night's sleep is priceless, but I'm having a hard time with the idea.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

> The regular at 60" would be plenty long, but at 13oz, my baseweight would increase 5.5oz. I know a good night's sleep is priceless, but I'm having a hard time with the idea.

Me too.
    Not to mention the price tag!

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I am 6'-1" tall and a side sleeper. I am very satisfied with the 48" length of my POE inflatable.

Actually, my only complaint is the width, because I pull my knees up and my long thighs barely fit in 20".

I even manage to keep my head on the pad with a Montbell pillow there!

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 427 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools