Topic

intense emotions at altitude?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion intense emotions at altitude?

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Justin Lafrance
    BPL Member

@argon

Locale: Canadian Rockies

One theory I’ve read recently is that the body responds to the stress of lower oxygen levels by producing estrogen. Higher levels of estrogen in the body results in unusually strong emotions, particularly for males. This theory was explained in the context of high altitude mountaineering (8000m peaks in the Himalayas) but it could certainly be relevant also for lower “high” elevations.

Kristin Tennessen
    BPL Member

@ktenness

Locale: Bay Area

I sometimes get stress headaches at altitude. Combo of altitude sickness/dehydration/not being in 100% control of the situation because I’m in a group. Haven’t done a lot at altitude but did summit Mt. Chachani with no issues.

brian H
    BPL Member

@b14

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns

euphoria.

blissed-out-ness.

hell yes.

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools