Topic

Mountain Laurel Designs Core ready for ordering

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mountain Laurel Designs Core ready for ordering

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    Jameson Tisch
    Spectator

@jameson_tisch

Bob I was also thinking of forgoing my CCF pad and just using my inflatable as back padding instead of rolling it up into its stuff sack. Or just pack my quilt/clothes loose in my bag and carefully pack everything around it so that its slightly cushioned. I suppose I'll just get used to not using the front pocket once I get the pack. Currently, the Burn is slightly too large for most of my weekend trips, which is mostly what I do. I figure I'll just pack all of those loose items on top. I can always pack my polycro groundsheet in with my shelter. Or if I feel necessary I might get a stuff sack to throw some of those loose odds and ends into.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Hey, Jameson, I did a quick overnighter yesterday/today in Harriman SP to give the Core a test drive. IMO, as long as you have the shoulder harness water bottle holders and 1 or 2 waist belt pockets all will be well. The dog was with me so I carried my long-ish CF pad, which is hi sleep pad (rolled up, shock-corded to the front panel) as well as my air mat for back cushioning… worked out fine. My TPW was a tick over 11 lbs, including 40oz water (two Gatorades) my food and dog food/bowl, and I would absolutely concur with the previous observation that 15lbs is the max I'd wanna carry all day. I filled up a couple of 1-liter Platys and carried them a short distance (~1/2 mile) to our campsite and thought "yep, this is probably the most I'd want to carry all day!" :^) I had assumed that the 2 full water bottles would affect the comfort somewhat by providing a counterbalance for the pack weight, but honestly to me it was not a factor with such a light load. Bottom line…. It is plenty comfortable for me 11-15lbs. Being a frameless-pack noob, I could see how it would suffice for 4-5 days of food for those who have more experience than I.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I don't know, I like my Newt with the mesh pocket. I don't see what all of the fuss is over, except the newness.

David Ure

@familyguy

"I don't know, I like my Newt with the mesh pocket. I don't see what all of the fuss is over, except the newness." Ed. Consider this a name change from Newt to Core. I thought this was pretty self explanatory. Apart from the front pocket (which now has a bungie system), the new Newt, er Core is available in 2 sizes.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

minor differences is all I was about to email Ron on the chances of bringing the Newt back when I bumped into Dave's thread on the Core :)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

1. Did you use a foam and/or inflatable pad in the back as padding? Would that cut into too much space? I've been using a cut up foam sit pad in the back of my burn/exodus this way. When sleeping on the ground (vs hammocking), I use a Prolite 3/4 pad which works great as padding against my back and I've plenty of room left over for my gear and food. 2. What are your thoughts with not having a front pocket? This is the only feature missing that I'd like to add as I use it on my other packs a lot to store items I use while hiking. Ron mentioned the possibility of ordering a custom Burn with front pocket but no side pockets if that interests you. Since it doesn't have a front pocket, I'm just going to throw the items I need quick access to into a gallon ziplock and keep them in the top of the pack.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

How Cewt.

David Ure

@familyguy

You Sir, are on a roll! I like the new Punninator (liked the old one too, of course).

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Ron just announced a limited run of the Core in X-Pac VX-21, colour olive drab. I guess he was listening to some of the comments earlier in this thread.

David Ure

@familyguy

" I guess he was listening to some of the comments earlier in this thread." From what I understand, there is some VX-21 left over from a large contract MLD had. I suspect when it is gone, it is gone. Could be wrong, however.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Yup, it's based on him having some extra materials left over from a contract. I don't see this being a regular offering on multiple SKUs. However he chose to make it available for us Core-lovers, as long as supplies last. Perhaps coincidence, perhaps due to the simplicity of the Core's construction.

David Ure

@familyguy

It should be an option on all of his packs.

kody aigner
    Spectator

@kodyaigner

Locale: Twin Cities

Just ordered one in VX-21, I'll toss up some pictures when it gets here if the wife doesn't kill me for ordering more shit

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Can someone confirm the differences between the two fabrics? I think the difference is the VX11 has a waterproof laminate but wouldn't you have to seam seal it for that to really matter? How would you seam seal a pack?

David Ure

@familyguy

"but wouldn't you have to seam seal it for that to really matter?" Yes, indeed. You would seam seal it with seam grip I suspect.

David Ure

@familyguy

LOL Kody!

monkey
    Spectator

@monkeysee

Locale: Up a tree

"You would seam seal it with seam grip I suspect." Or tape and seam grip? Just like ZPacks seals their dyneema packs.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I did too, been looking for a lightweight day hunting pack- I ordered the smaller one this time as I should be able to get my hunting kit in 22 liters w/ no problems

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

"You would seam seal it with seam grip I suspect." Seekoutside (who also make pack bags from XPAC) suggest you use the silicone based caulk (or Silnet) to seal the seams on their packs. There's a pack seam sealing video on their site somewhere – I can't seem to find it right now. They just take the caulk and apply it directly to the seams (on the outside of the pack).

kody aigner
    Spectator

@kodyaigner

I emailed Ron asking which way he would suggest seam sealing the pack, he replied "Any PU type sealer can work- Mc Nett Seam Grip is good."

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

is it possible to dye the core pack from the grey to a black?

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

So I guess you're committed. The Core will be your bugout bag when you need to hightail it out of town 'cos your wife realized you ordered more sh1t? Kudos. I resemble that remark.

kody aigner
    Spectator

@kodyaigner

A little more sharkskin grey than the 'olive drab green' that it was listed asCompared to the dyneema x on the inside of the shoulder strap Got the pack in friday, 3 days after ordering it, which was a nice surprise. Fabric feels quite robust (the VX-21 option added an additional 2 oz onto the 1700 ci model) haven't done anything to test the fabric against any water yet, and not super positive on it's abrasion resistance compared to dyneema x but if it performs as I'm told it does I imagine this could become quite a popular fabric choice for packs. Not sure of the cost difference but I would be completely fine with buying an MLD prophet that weighed a few ounces more if it meant tougher fabric and more water resistance. P.S. told the wife it was an extra from a custom order run and that I got it for 45% off, she loves when I'm frugal.

kody aigner
    Spectator

@kodyaigner

Sorry about the crooked pictures, I'm n00b as heck with this forum stuff

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 157 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools