Topic

Mountain Laurel Designs Core ready for ordering

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mountain Laurel Designs Core ready for ordering

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Wow- that was quick- damn! doesn't look od green in the pic, looks kind of off white- just the image?

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Mine arrived Friday too. The colour is much more grey than I expected from the description. Depending on the lighting, it can look blue-grey or green-grey. It's definitely not off-white. Here are a couple of photos of my 8 year old who seems to have commandeered the pack. VX21 1 VX21 2 BTW, he really does like the pack. He's just tired of his old man taking photos.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

looks like he's ready to go :) that color looks closer to what I was expecting

Velimir Kemec
    BPL Member

@velimirkemec

Hi, Core sure looks good..I've noted (on the pics above) that shoulder straps are made from same fabric as packs body. On my Newt however there's an open 3D mesh padding structure but not so on Core. Did you guys (Core owners) note any significant difference in wear between regular 3D mesh and dyneema fabric shoulder straps..any slippage sideways without sternum strap, more sweat on shoulders? From MLD spec. " 75mm wide SuperWick Mesh lined with full length foam padding"… Anyhow MLD shoulder straps are the comfiest ever:).. Thanks!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

not sure why Ron has it listed with mesh as clearly there isn't any??? no slippage noted with mine, very comfy- I would think the dyneema would wear pretty well

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I've got only 2 overnighters and 1 day hike (load testing!) so no way to judge the wear. But slippage/heat/sweat were just not issues at all for me. As has been debated here before regards to the hipbelt/no hipbelt issue, I'm strongly pro-hipbelt (actually a 1/2" strap on the Core!) even when carrying an 11-lb "load" with this pack, and those shoulder strap water bottle holders are IMO mandatory, as well as at least one hip-belt pocket.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Bob- I agree fully. It's a great way to carry water- very handy and the weight is hardly felt. I also like a belt no matter how slim, just to help keep the pack stable when moving quickly. I use two hip belt pockets- one has map & compass, sunscreen; the other trail snacks- very handy Mike

Velimir Kemec
    BPL Member

@velimirkemec

Thanks @Mike, Bob for the info. @Stuart what size is that 1700 cuin (L/M) or 1300 cuin? Regards!

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Mine is the Core 1700 in Medium. I am pretty sure I read that the back panel is 2"+ taller than the Core 1300, handy when I'm carrying my solo shelter with poles inside.

Velimir Kemec
    BPL Member

@velimirkemec

Hi, @ Stuart thanks! Looks like Xpac version are GONE! Darn:) Cheers

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Ron announced that the X-Pac run ended yesterday morning, over on his Facebook page. However he hinted at making a cuben version next. If you're interested, let him know. There was less of a reaction than I expected. Edit: He just indicated cuben would increase the cost to $120. It's not listed on the MLD website yet, but here's a photo. Gotta say, I like the VX-21 more, regardless of the price. Cuben Core

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

So how many of you guys ordered both Core sizes, 1300 and 1700 – and kept both? Or alternatively ordered one, then ordered the other? When would you take the 1300 instead of the 1700? Did anyone buy the 1700 after taking delivery of the 1300 and realizing they needed more space? Why, specifically? I missed getting a second VX21 Core, but I'm considering a dyneema x-grid 1300 for my son so I can reclaim the X-Pac 1700 for myself. You saw the pics above – I think the shorter back panel on the 1300 would work better for him. Aside from the 400 cu in / 6 litre difference in volume, is there anything else I should be aware of?

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

No hip belt on the 1300, as I recall, but maybe Ron'll put one on there for you.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Re BPL Tenet #47 Got my Arc Haul in the mail yesterday to go along with the Arc Blast, Core 1700 and the custom Zero that I bought here on GS. Got an old Dana Bomb Pack and an Rei Flash 62 and a Flash 22 day pack. I'm sure that's nowhere near the record, but I think I'm in compliance… doing my best anyway. :^)

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Gave my Newt away to a family member, minor reason due to no compression straps on the side, seeing how I was going to use it as a day pack it would be nice to take up the volume somewhat better than the front bungee system. The biggest reason by far was no front mesh pocket. I would have had no problem at all taking the pack off while on the move to get something like a water bottle or snack out of the mesh pocket but when I asked Ron, he wouldn't make it with the pocket. For me I don't like that I have to take the pack off and open it up to do the same thing. It takes two hands to open and close the roll top versus one hand to hold the pack while hiking and the other hand reaching in the mesh pocket. That's a little too much for me. I did buy a shoulder bottle pocket, but that didn't work so well with what little there was on the Newt for attachment points and never felt right. I decided to give the Newt away to a family member who has since hand sewn the bottle pocket on and uses it occasionally, more so as a stuff sack for traveling. I feel I upgraded and bought a Zpacks Zero X-small with the hybrid material, roll top, front mesh pocket, and matching green shoulder bottle pocket. No side compression straps since it's smaller volume than the Newt. I have been much happier with the Zero. Another thing I like is that when my back gets sweaty I don't have too worry about clothes (down items) getting wet. Could use a stuff sack, but then I don't have much in the pack and I'm trying to take up volume for better feel. Although that wouldn't be a problem with the limited time production of Xpac. I guess what I'm saying is with Core being such a minimal pack I wish Ron would add just a few small options (front mesh strap and maybe side compression straps but not necessary) that would make these much more serviceable, at least to me and maybe a wider audience. When I contacted Ron before ordering the Newt, I inquired about getting a front mesh pocket and he said no and tried steering me towards a Burn 2300ci, which I feel is not even close to a Newt 1700ci or Core 1700ci/1300ci in volume (Burn is getting too big for day use) and too many features (such as hipbelt and maybe side bottle pockets). Since there is no custom work allowed on these, I wonder if these are made at the MLD shop or if there outsourced?

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Wouldn't be surprised if the cuben Core is going to be Ron's upcoming FKT pack. However I've been expecting to see a harness on it so maybe not.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ for a FKT pack I think a harness/vest style shoulder straps are almost a necessity- I can run with the Core (helps w/ two sternum straps), but I can't run like I can with one my Osprey Rev packs or my Montane Dragon- the difference is in the harness setup which provides the stability needed

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

few comparos on the two- my Dyneema 1700 is a Large and measures 20" from the top of the shoulder straps to the bottom on the "V" wing for the waist strap, the XPac 1300 is 19"; the back panel on the 1700 (measured from stiching to stiching) is 10", the 1300 is 8.25"- so it's a narrower pack; the overall length of the 1700 is 2" longer than the 1300 the 1300 did come with a waist belt and sternum strap (same removable ones as the 1700), also the same shock cord setup the XPac does look very hardy- exactly what I was looking for in an elk/deer hunting day pack; I'm also going to seam seal the pack and hoping it proves very water resistant Mike

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Thanks for the comparison of the two models, Mike. My gut tells me the 1300 might fit his small frame better, and prevent him from overloading it. But he's growing like a weed, so the 1700 won't seem massive on him for long. I'll see how my boy fares with the bigger pack next time we go out, and take it from there.

monkey
    Spectator

@monkeysee

Locale: Up a tree

J P wrote: "When I contacted Ron before ordering the Newt, I inquired about getting a front mesh pocket and he said no and tried steering me towards a Burn 2300ci, which I feel is not even close to a Newt 1700ci or Core 1700ci/1300ci in volume" Core 1700 has no pockets/front mesh, so its volume is just that, 1700ci. Burn 2300 has side pockets and front mesh, and its volume without these addons is 1500ci (1800ci if you stuff the collar) Looking at the math above, it appears quite logical for Ron to suggest Burn to those people who ask to add pockets to (at least) the larger of the Cores. In other words, Burn pretty much IS Core 1700 with pockets.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Hey Monkey copy the rest of the statement, " (Burn is getting too big for day use) and too many features (such as hipbelt and maybe side bottle pockets)." I didn't want side bottle pockets or a hipbelt. Out of my 5 cuben packs only 2 have a hipbelt. No need for a hipbelt on a daypack, atleast for my needs. Yeah it makes a lot of sense for Ron to push me from an $65 Newt to a $180 Burn, over a front mesh pocket that Zpacks charges $15 for.

monkey
    Spectator

@monkeysee

Locale: Up a tree

^ Sorry didn't copy the rest as Cores come with hipbelts too, but only just noticed that they are removable. I see your point about the price. But that's pretty much what I did, ordered Burn instead of the larger Core, because of the front and side pockets..

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Just packed my core for my up coming trip to the Catskills. 2.7 lbs.!! That's the pack, sleeping pad, quilt, bivy and tarp. I think I'm gonna like this pack. Felt pretty comfortable. I probably will top at about 6 lbs with food and water for 3 days. It's pretty much up there with when I use my murmur hyperlight pack. (Which I love by the way and have used the last year and a half). I'm hoping it's as comfortable if not more comfortable. I'm going to do the Devils Path thru the Catskills next week for 3 days. I will definitely post back with my thoughts.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

It looks like the cuben version is available now on the MLD site.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Not much weight savings over the Dyneema, but I guess it's far more waterproof.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 157 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools