Topic

Mountain Laurel Designs Core ready for ordering

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mountain Laurel Designs Core ready for ordering

Viewing 7 posts - 151 through 157 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

just for reference, my 1300 in VX-21 weighs 10.0 oz on the nose, the dyneema version (according to Ron's site) weighs 8.8 oz (this is weights with the sternum strap, waist belt and shock cord setup included)- you can shave ~ 0.5 oz on all the packs by going to slightly smaller shock cord

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

got my VX-21 Core out today elk hunting; carried very nicely and plenty of room for a day's hunt worth of gear. It was a little noisy, but I was able to take my hunting vest (nice quiet 200 wt fleece) and put it over the entire pack and was still able to get my arms through the vest and that solved that.  photo B9C6D1AF-E4D9-4F33-81CF-AF672D623408_zpsnbvquiuy.jpg

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Said i would post back..so here I am. I love the Core. It carried so well. It will definitely be my new 3 season pack for the future. I ended up topping at 12 lbs for the 3 days with food and water..October in the Catskills, NY. The Core was so comfortable to carry and the trail I hiked on put it to my test for sure. I did use the water bottle holder on my front shoulder strap..no problems at all. I have nothing bad to say or complain about. MLD has done it again..great job on a great pack.

Theo Diekmann
    BPL Member

@theo321

Question to MLD Core users: Does a Therm-a-Rest Prolite Small Pad fit along the back of the medium sized pack? According to the stated dimensions, it doesn’t by a pinch (for my other backpacks, I simply fold it 2 time widthwise).

Personally, at 176cm (5’9″-10″), I’d probably be fine with both versions but I’d like to buy the smaller one so that my girlfriend can use it, too.

Thanks a lot!

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Edit: VX Core Sale – All Gone

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

A couple of questions for folks who’ve ordered since Ron started offering the 3/4″ web hipbelt and hipbelt pockets. Is the hipbelt detachable? How well do the pockets stay in place? Do they slide up/down or around on the belt as you move? (Edit: the photo on the product page makes them look like they are now integral to the belt, am I right?) Are the pockets the same capacity as the original pockets? They look different.

I have a Core 1700 VX that I’d like to retrofit the 3/4″ hipbelt and pockets to, which I was planning to order with a Core 1300 in dyneema X-grid. I’d swap the hipbelts between the packs, so the 1300 gets the original one. I think that is possible, but I can’t quite tell.

Thanks all.

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

So, all you core owners …. let’s hear some long term reviews.  I have been eyeing this pack for awhile, the lack of water bottle pockets had me concerned but I am revisiting the idea.  Those clean lines have me drooling, and I really like the roll top/compression system.  I am thinking one could get away with using the four compression loops on the side to attach a ccf pad as a back panel, much like Stick has done to his Zpacks Zero.  Pictures would be awesome as well!

Viewing 7 posts - 151 through 157 (of 157 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools