Topic

FLYWEIGHT KNIVES—Damn Fine Titanium Knives!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals FLYWEIGHT KNIVES—Damn Fine Titanium Knives!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Matthew. How has your relationship changed since the first post? You a business partner now? Should disclose.

Sorry if I missed it in the posts about the logo.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Hey, Ken, I was wondering when you'd chime in. Yeah, you missed it. Helping Greg, my friend. As my title on our site says, "Sales-Ultralight Backpacker-Warranty Issues". Basically everything but grinding knives, but i'll be helping with that, also, hopefully.

M

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

"Hey, Ken, I was wondering when you'd chime in" Really? I usually don't read your posts. Too many memes.

Haven't look at the site as knives are not big on my list. Just looking at threads with a bunch of posts, as I am prone to doing. And I was curious.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Yeah,Ken, it was on the second page. You'll find it if you look, but if not, here (from the 2nd page on this thread):

"Hey, everyone, OP'er here.
    When I started this thread, I did not know Greg from Adam, but now I am finding myself with a new friend and an unpaid job of helping him with his business and web site design. I just thought I needed to make that clear in the essence of full disclosure. Anyway, for those of you that have purchased Flyweight knives, please send me some of your action pics for use on our new web site (coming soon) and our gallery page of user submitted photos. We can't pay you anything for them, but you will have our undying gratitude. Pics of the knife in action would be way cool! Thanks!

Matt
    [email protected]"

;)

M

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Meant to add a Thank You to my post.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Logo looks great. I also really like the fly. Keep up the good work guys!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Everybody else is wrong. The dragonfly logo on the right with the big lettering is the one.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Great to see this business taking off. Thanks again Matt for bringing this to our attention.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

Greg – Those are some nice looking knives. I just had a couple of questions for you.

– When do you plan on having the "original" knife(as shown in the first post) or the 7 1/2" knife back in stock?
    Also, do you plan on adding any jimping onto the original?

– What is the best method you found to resharpen your knives? Stropping, ceramic, etc?

Thanks

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Hey, Nathan.
    Greg is AWOL at the moment. He has decided to take a break and go Tenkara fishing with his family. I'm not sure when he'll be back on BPL, as he much prefers grinding knives to things like Facebooking, so I will try and answer some of your questions as best I can in his absence.

"When do you plan on having the "original" knife(as shown in the first post) or the 7 1/2" knife back in stock?
    Also, do you plan on adding any jimping onto the original?"

The "Original" model I bought and posted about has been discontinued. Greg felt the handle was not sufficiently long enough and that it could potentially be a safety issue. It has been replace with the "New Original", which does indeed have jimping on the upper portion. Trust me, it's an all around better knife. I believe FWK's is all sold out at Etsy and Ebay, as well as our home site. See my previous post as to when more knives will be available.

s

"What is the best method you found to resharpen your knives? Stropping, ceramic, etc?"

Not sure what he recommends. I'll ask him.

"Thanks"

Very welcome!

M

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

Matt – Thanks for answering my questions and Ill check the site on Monday.

Dave G
    BPL Member

@dapperdave

I believe This class of knife (Titanium with tungsten carbide on one side) is designed to self-sharpen (the titanium wears down leaving a sharp carbide edge)

Dave

Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

Are any of these available for sale anywhere as of now?

Thanks
    Paddy

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

"Are any of these available for sale anywhere as of now?

Thanks
    Paddy"

Paddy,
    No. Not that I know of.
    Greg decided unexpectedly to close up shop for a while and take some time off. He also came to the conclusion that he wants to remain a "craftsman" and not mass produce his knives. Success is a very scary thing and is actually harder to deal with than failure for some people. The web site is gone and his Etsy and Ebay shops are closed for now. I am sure Greg will be back selling them one at a time in a few months or so, but for now, as far as I know, Greg has none for sale. In my opinion it's really a shame, because I think everyone should have had a chance to enjoy a fine titanium knife. Oh, well. I wish Greg all the best and am sure he'll be much happier being retired rather than just "tired". Good luck, Greg!

Matt

Gregory Woodard
    Spectator

@woodpusher

The successful response from BPL members has seriously depleted my supply of knives. I will be back in the shop in one week and will be putting plenty of knives up for sale a few days later. They will be on ebay and etsy and the website will be up in a few weeks. I am camped at Chamberlin Ranch in Los Olivos for the traditional archery shoot held there each year. It's an event I wouldn't miss. But I can't conduct business from here. I have an appointment with a fabricator Tuesday to discuss automated grinding, but at this point, I do prefer doing it myself.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I'm "watching" this thread so in theory, I should get an email when someone responds to this thread, like with "I'm back in business and have a metric butt ton of knives to sell."

I'd love to add one or three to my collection.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Greg – Thanks for posting that you'll be back and that we didn't scare you off. Like Ian, I'll be keeping an eye out for when you have stock. I'd like to buy a knife for each of my backpacking buddies. Not because they couldn't do it themselves, but because I'm afraid they'll swipe mine once they see it. That almost happened with my first Fenix flashlight…

Gregory Woodard
    Spectator

@woodpusher

I am back in the shop, and have reopened the Etsy and eBay shops. Some designs are en route from the water jetter and won't be available until Friday, April 24. The website will be up soon as well. Thanks for all of the support and positive reviews.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

Not sure if you are looking for feedback, but i will provide it anyway :)

I want to buy a knife, but didn't find one i liked. Here is what i'm looking for (maybe others too)

– more conventional shape of the handle, not too curved
    – at least 2 1/2 blade, but 3" would be ideal
    – not completely hollowed out handle (more like this https://www.etsy.com/listing/226556121/5-14-ultralight-titanium-knife?ref=shop_home_active_1 )
    – grind for right handed folks (it makes a difference if i have to use on wood)
    – better sheath design (so knife can be inserted with a single hand without damaging sheath or cutting myself.

Something like this https://www.etsy.com/listing/201418557/6-12-ultralight-titanium-knife?ref=listing-shop-header-3

but with more metal in the handle (similar to the knife linked above).

Why do I think those are important for me:
    – more metal in handle will make it more ridgid and less susceptible to twisting/bending
    – slightly longer blade for easier time cleaning fish (since i do fish on my trips)
    – right handed grind is kind of self explanatory since i do use knives on wood from time to time.

Jason Johnson
    BPL Member

@etex9799

looks more like a Wasp…still cool..just sayin.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Sorry, Greg decided not to use any of the logos discussed on this thread.

M

Mark Parry
    Spectator

@markparry

Locale: Hawaiian Islands

Glad to see these are back, I missed them last time.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/201418557/6-12-ultralight-titanium-knife
    "AVAILABLE FRIDAY APRIL 24" I liked the look of this a little better than the available ones and I'll give it to my wife if I decide I want a different one later. :)

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

Got my knife today and I must say I like it so far. I wasn't sure I would like it as I thought it may be a bit too flexible and small, but looks like it may work out just fine. I do plan on making a different sheath though. Maybe same type of webbing but with Delrin insert for the blade guide.

Mark Parry
    Spectator

@markparry

Locale: Hawaiian Islands

I've also received mine and it seems sturdy.

I was a little bit worried about the sheath also. My wife kept laughing at me, she thought it was pretty solid. It depends on where you store it–against the side of my pot in its sack it is held tightly closed. Otherwise I would put a few cord wraps around the edges just to keep the sheath material wrapped around blade.

I could see the use of a little bit more sheath body but you can't really get much lighter weight. I would want more protection if the knife was going to be stored somewhere it was more likely to cause issues.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

You'll learn to trust the sheath. I haven't tried to sharpen my knife, but it isn't really sharp. Not enough to cause great damage. Not to downplay the knife. It is sharp enough for the weight. Perfect for my uses.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools