Topic

FLYWEIGHT KNIVES—Damn Fine Titanium Knives!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals FLYWEIGHT KNIVES—Damn Fine Titanium Knives!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

I just wanted to give a shout out to a guy I bought a titanium knife from off Ebay. His company is called Flyweight Knives and he has some damn fine blades for sale, specifically targeting ultralight backpackers. I have no interest in his company, I just thought the community here should know about this option. I ended up buying one of his "midsized" blades and am very happy with it. Razor sharp, tungsten carbide welded into one side of the blade for micro-serations, superultralight velcro sheathes (I made another out of plastic and it ended up weighing more than the knife!), and it only cost me $20.00 shipped! Less than 1 ounce with sheath! I don't think he has any knife listed for more than $40.00 shipped! Amazing! Each knife is hand made and ground, along with his sheathes. The knives are water-jetted from 1/16” thick 6Al-4V titanium alloy sheet. They have a one-sided grind, with a welded thin layer of tungsten carbide on the other side. Look him up, i'm sure he'd appreciate the business. He goes by g.r.e.g.w. on Ebay.

Link and specs to the knife I bought:

Model: Original
    Total Length: 5"
    Blade Length: 2 1/2"
    Weight of Knife: 1/2 oz.
    Weight of Sheath: 1/6 oz.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231482317264?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Some pics from my last trip (this thing guts fish and cuts cord like nobody's business!):

k

k

k

k

k

k

Logan T
    Spectator

@ltt777

Thank you for posting! I just started an UL knife thread yesterday and this looks like these might be what I'm looking for.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

You can also get to Flyweight Knives on Etsy…Nice looking stuff!

Matthew Turner
    BPL Member

@annex138

Thanks for the head up. These look awesome and you can't beat the price. I just ordered one but I have a feeling I am going to end up collect one of each.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I was trying to figure out of this was Mike Martin, the guy who made one for Ryan Jordan in this article:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231482317264?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

His ebay profile is g.r.e.g.w. so I'm guessing not.

Very cool find! Thanks for posting.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

but i did notice this disclaimer (at least on ebay)…dont know if this is true with the etsy store:

ATTENTION: I have about a dozen of these knives left, but they are all what I would consider a left hand grind. The ground side is on the opposite side of the knife pictured. I won't be making any more of this design. The grind side really doesn't effect the function of the knife, but I am dropping the price to $20 as a sort of clearance sale.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

oops dup post.

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

I admit I had occasionally been tempted by Kestral knives, but this beats the heck out of their somewhat outrageous prices.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

I ordered the knife that the OP pictured and Greg got right back to me confirming that it's a left-hand knife so I switched my order to another knife.

The funny thing here is that I was not looking (or needing) another knife – these are just so nice-looking and reasonable that I had to have one!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"The funny thing here is that I was not looking (or needing) another knife"

Yeah. I call these BPL moments. I get it.

Matthew Turner
    BPL Member

@annex138

I didn't need anymore knives but I oreder 2.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Matthew – I just had a message from Greg and he said he's sold more knives today than he usually does in a month! Thanks again for the original post.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Glad to help, guys!

Matt

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

The secrets out. Nice little knives.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Me too, got that 1/8oz one. Couldn't pass it up.

Steve

James Volk
    BPL Member

@h2oboy007

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I grabbed the 3" Ultralight Titanium Trout Knife. If I like it, it will be taking the place of my Vargo Clip Knife.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

FlyweightLightFlash

12 grams 18 grams with sheath.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

If you guys don't slow down he's gonna raise the price for the rest of us!

Ryan

jake.
    BPL Member

@jake-l

Locale: Katahdin

Terran terran, is that the 6 1/2" standard long model or the standard short?

Thanks,
    -jake

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

Fw

It'a 6" UL model I picked up back in January.Listed at 1/3rd oz. I wrapped a piece of shockcord on the handle bumping it up slightly.
    I can't shave with it but it cuts cord just fine.

David Moreno
    BPL Member

@nerrek2000

Locale: New England

I also need an other knife like I need an other hole in my head.

Having said that, the smallest one he makes w/ sheath only weighs 0.25 oz compared to my 0.50 ounce lock back knife I take on trips.

Looks like I'm buying a new knife.

Gregory Woodard
    Spectator

@woodpusher

My name is Greg and I am the Flyweight Knives guy. I've been meaning to join this forum for years, but I had to join today just so I could thank everyone for all the interest in my knives these last few days. As one member mentioned, I sold more knives in two days than I ever have in a month. I recently retired from teaching kindergarten, and started the knife business to supplement my meager pension. I now live full time in Mammoth Lakes, CA, where I can can literally go backpacking right out my front door, but I also spend a lot of time in Astoria, Oregon where my workshop is located. I look forward to the wealth of information and comradery now available to me on this site, and if anyone has any questions or suggestions about my knives, don't hesitate to share them with me. I will be putting a few new knife designs up for sale in the next day or two, and it looks like I'll be heading back to Astoria sooner than I thought, because I am going through my new batch of knives sooner than I expected.
    Thanks again to everyone.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

Rebuilding America one knife at a time. Lots of support for the cottage industries here. We're all on the same trail. Thank you for a fine product at a reasonable price. I hope you do well here.
    How about a Lw pair of scissors?

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Uh-oh….here come the custom requests…….

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Welcome Greg! As long as your prices remain reasonable I think you will find no shortage of business here.

Ryan

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools