Topic

Sierra Designs Tensegrity 2 Elite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sierra Designs Tensegrity 2 Elite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    K P
    BPL Member

@schado6

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered one. It arrived today. I had hoped to set it up but wouldn't you know it, North Alabama got 8.5" of snow Wed/Thur… So I tried setting it up upstairs on carpet with carpet tape, no go. Tried setting it up downstairs on hard flooring, No go. Sigh. With help of son, was able to hold it up and take a peek, examine it. Quality appears top notch. Seems VERY spacious (I'm one of those who will carry a few more ounces to ensure i have space, no bugs, etc). My son has a REI quarter dome and he says this thing is massive comparatively. As soon as I can set it up in back yard after the snow melts, will post more pics/rain test/etc.

Why didn't I set it up in snow? Its new, need to seam seal it and didn't want to mess it up!

Tensegrity 2p Elite

Jonathan Chin
    BPL Member

@jonrc

Locale: Northwoods

Thanks for sharing. I'd be interested in some pics and a review. I noticed the SD website lists the weight of the tent & poles at 2lbs, 3oz, but doesn't list their individual weights. Any chance you could weigh just the tent body for us?

K P
    BPL Member

@schado6

Absolutely plan on posting those tomorrow. FEDEX was supposed to deliver yesterday but due to the snow and interstates shut down (literally) didn't get it until this eve. Will weigh the tent/built in fly, the one pole it comes with (hoop end) and then the whole thing in its stuff sack for those interested. I'm debating keeping it in its stuff sack as the design is extremely clever. As you can see from the pic, the pole/stake holder is part of the stuff sack, just a simple clip. When you 'un-click' it, it opens one side with the one hoop pole, and the other smaller portion contains the stakes. I will get better pics tomorrow. The whole tube that pole/stakes comes in is removable, doesn't have to be part of the 'stuff sack'. Hope that makes sense. Will do more measurements/weights/photos in am. I'm darned tempted to set it up in the yard even with snow, its killing me!

K

K P
    BPL Member

@schado6

I couldn't sleep so went ahead and did some weights/photos. See below. Pictures of it set up with pads/etc and a personal review forthcoming…

Hoop Pole: 71g / 2.5 oz Length of longest pole section is 17.5": Hoop Pole MeasurementHoop Pole

Tent Stuff Sack with Pole/Stake Sack attached as well as shipping label 55g/1.9oz:Stuff Sacks (tent, pole/stakes)

Another view of stuff sacks but 'separated' (pole/stake tube separated from tent sack':Stuff sacks separated (hoop pole/stake sack and main tent body stuff sack)

Tent/Fly, 949g/2lb 1.5oz (shown with a wide mouth Nalgene for comparison). Didn't do picture justice, I am sure I could have taken more air out/squished it more but wanted to quickly roll it up (like when backpacking) and used a single rubber band to hold it together: Tent/Fly view

Tent came with 9 stakes, 107g/3.8oz. Pic with separated 'stuff tube' for both hoop pole and stakes/guy lines:Guy Lines, 9 Stakes, Hoop Pole, expanded stuff tube

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Don't know if this is just another tease or not – that's the internet.
    Troubling that the SD site is so mum on specs, with sexy pix that don't show what the tent looks like buttoned up (giving it the benefit of the doubt that it can be).

From Terra Nova to Big Agnes to MSR, all know what an honest presentation of a tent looks like. Let's see it, please, and cut all the BS about what this piece weighs and what that one does. Packed and ready to go, what's it weigh? If TarpTent can do it, so can SD, dang it!

K P
    BPL Member

@schado6

Well, most of the snow finally melted so got a chance to set it up today. This is my first 'non-free standing' tent and was interesting initially setting it up. Not difficult, just different. I definitely need to practice pitching it a few times so I'm more comfortable doing it. I don't think i got the pitch just right but here are some pics of it setup. Hope this helps those wanting to see more views of it etc. Once I get on the trail next month will do a non-professional review of it. As a point of reference my most recent prior tents were a Nemo Losi 2p and a Big Sky Evolution 2p. As I continue to lighten up, crossing over to non-freestanding, less is more mantra. I used my trekking poles at a length of 120cm but it will accommodate varying length poles. There are colored slits at the base that you can attach the grommet to depending on how long your poles are.

View from narrow end (foot end): EDIT to correct wrong attached photo!: Front view

Internal Shot of foot end with a 20" Thermarest pad. Will definitely accommodate two 20" pads at narrow end (46" at foot end/rear of tent):Internal Foot end

Shot of the gear closet. This shot shows the other door fully closed (screen/solid panel) You can see the open side with both the screen and inner solid together. Hard to explain but its basically two zippers next to each other to a – just use screen or b – button it up tight:
    gear closet view

This is an interior shot towards the gear closet, it has two mesh pockets built in at each side:interior gear closet

Final pic, a side shot of the tent:side shot

I have been interested in this tent since it was announced but like many, haven't seen or heard much about it. (Edit to clarify comment – I watched SD live video on this and there is info on website. I meant didn't read anything external/ie reviews etc of it, a technical detail but knowing several on this site after browsing/gaining knowledge for a couple of years, wanted to clarify so doesn't start another uber thread :) ) Hopefully this helps some that were curious about it and wanted to see what its like up close.

Regards!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

At those prices you'd think they were four season tents or made of cuben, and neither are true ; ).

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"with sexy pix that don't show what the tent looks like buttoned up (giving it the benefit of the doubt that it can be)."

"At those prices you'd think they were four season tents or made of cuben, and neither are true ; )."

+1 $489!

The gear garage has me worried.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

I think it's an interesting design. I'd love to try one in wet weather to see how it performs.

I agree that the price is high for a Silnylon tent. It would make more sense to price it comparable to a Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo or a similar Tarptent.

The fact that they won't sell them to anyone living in CA, LA, MA, MI, MN, NJ or NY due to CPAI-84 is also going to limit limit their marketability severely in those states. I live in Michigan. I'd be stuck shipping it to a friend or relative and having them re-ship it to me.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

>>The gear garage has me worried.

I like the design choices on the main tent, but have to agree…a "gear garage" that is open on both sides seems to me to be woefully inadequate.

I've said this many times before (and will do so again)…ANY shelter rocks when the weather is nice, but design "flaws" are immediately obvious when the weather turns nasty.

And at that price, especially given the fabric choices, the sticker shock of my Zpacks Duplex just fades away.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I see a couple pros:
    Dry setup in the rain
    Drip-free entry (although it does you seem like you have to let your door fall into the ground when getting out – could be annoying on wet ground, especially with the mesh on the outside)
    Good width for 2
    Awning/porch would be good in light rain

And a couple cons:
    41-inch peak height = low! Given that the peak is at the rear of the tent, can you sit up inside without having to scoot back?
    I don't see how this tent could possibly do well in wind: few stake-out points + open design = kite in my view

I wonder if Skurka has one? :)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Oh, Skurka has one, but does he "actually" use it? They are gonna make Henry Shires a richer man.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I forgot to ask – how does the 20D material feel?

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

When I look at any shelter, especially a single wall I like to see where all the condensation is gonna end up as I dont like wiping down walls and ceilings I like it running down sloped walls and dripping outside my living area. So my question is where is it gonna end up with this new shelter

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

Well,
    say what you want about it, but this shelter is already famous.
    I was watching "The Lateshow" with David Letterman last week and this was his top ten..

THE TOP TEN REASONS WHY WE ALL NEED A TENSEGRITY

10) Its name is now uttered in hushed tones at the Vatican.
    9) One word …..YELLOW.
    8) Its more than a shelter, it's a KITE !
    7) Wildly popular in Australia because it includes a "shed".
    6) Henry Shires' accountant LOVES IT .
    5) Its' a GREAT color -just ask any Mosquito..
    4) Allows you to spend too much money without being "dumb enough" to buy Cuben.
    3) The new offical tent of the French Army.
    2) Its actually 100% Kosher.

And, the ..the number one reason why we ALL need a Tensegrity…

1) It's SKURKALICIOUS !

Jonathan Chin
    BPL Member

@jonrc

Locale: Northwoods

Am I the only one noticing a concerning level of emotion regarding how other people chose to spend their money enjoy the outdoors?

Sierra designs has made a really interesting and innovative, though thus far unproven tent here. I, for one, laud their willingness to go in a different direction from other manufacturers and to reach out to the UL community as they have done here. Also, they've made some bold moves (such as by not using fire retardant chemicals) with this tent. Will these moves pay off for them – either in terms of creating great products or making money? Time will tell. In the mean time, let's appreciate that they're willing to do something different and take a little advice from Hume when he said "a wise man proportions his beliefs to the evidence."

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

Don't confuse humor with hate. One tends to look a little humorless themselves when they do so..;)

For the record, my first really lightweight backpacking tent was a 1980s Oakland built Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight. That design was in production over 25 years !
    Partly because it was fairly priced and offered a lot of performance vs weight no other double wall tent provided during much of that time.

Will the new designs they have recently come up with even last a fraction of that time? Who knows?

It's not 1987 anymore and Sierra Designs has languished with mediocre designs for many years now. I think its great they are trying new things, but todays buyer is a bit more savvy. Especially in the lightweight market where one can buy well made, fairly priced mostly US built products of proven design which are devoid of gimmicks.

I hope they do well and the early adoptors of their designs find their hard earned money well spent.

As a free thinking consumer, I reserve the right to be skeptical.

Trace Richardson
    BPL Member

@tracedef

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"Am I the only one noticing a concerning level of emotion regarding how other people chose to spend their money enjoy the outdoors?" Yes.

+1 w/ Jimmer.

I hope the OP is happy with his purchase and feel like they got their monies worth. If not, I hope losses will be minimum.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

Hey… I'm not a fan of the price but that is what you get when you have something called a "dealer network". Those guys at the brick and mortar store have to pay the rent, electric and minimum wage for the sales staff so that you can look at them in the flesh.

Like all designs this has tradeoffs. You are getting tons of ventilation and you are giving up a bomber wind protection. Pick your poison. If you are hiking the AT it isn't a bad design choice. If you are camping above treeline in that pass which funnels the jetstream through your particular mountain range, then you made the wrong choice.

Personally…what I don't like is the sag between the poles. I don't know why…. same issue with the Notch in that I could never get it really taught without feeling like I was going to dismember the tent. Ultimately I sold it and bought something that just felt better to me aesthetically and wouldn't sag in the middle.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

> same issue with the Notch in that I could never get it really taught without feeling like I was going to dismember the tent.

Never hurts to ask..would have been happy to help with setup had we known. The key with the Notch is to pull the second end out only to the point where you just begin to feel the interior floor straps tighten. Only just. If you do that, the ridgeline will actually be nearly flat. Any noticeable curvature means that you pulled the 2nd end out too far.

-H

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Yeah, it took me a few setups to get the idea of what Henry just said. Felt dumb once I figured it out.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

I could get it flat with a perfect camp site. I couldn't get it consistently flat with imperfect camp site which is the kind I'm typically stuck with. ;-)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Maybe it would help some if a separate thread was started about those uneven camp sites and possibly some photos of what happens there.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Good idea Franco…. I didn't mean to stir the pot.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools