Episode 63 | BPL Author Spotlight: Staff Writer Mark Wetherington
The extended video version of this podcast episode is available to Unlimited Members.
- The extended video version of this podcast episode is available to Unlimited Members for free as part of their membership. Become an Unlimited Member »
- You must be logged in with your Unlimited Membership account to see the extended video version of this podcast episode here. Login Now »
Listen to the public version of this podcast episode on Itunes, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts.
In this episode, Andrew chats with Backpacking Light Staff writer Mark Wetherington. Mark began backpacking in 2007 as a student at the University of Kentucky, and since then he’s been exploring the southeast and the west on foot, bicycle, and skis. Mark’s writing has appeared in Backpacker Magazine and Trail Groove Magazine in addition to Backpacking Light.
Andrew and Mark chat about backpacking in the southeast, Mark’s love of exploring the same place over and over again, Mark’s favorite pieces he’s written for Backpacking Light, and more.
Make sure you are logged in as a member to listen to or watch the full version of this podcast. Not a member? Click here!
- 0:01:16 – podcast opening and introduction
- 0:01:43 – Mark’s early days of backpacking
- 0:05:31 – the relationship between place, Mark, and writing
- 0:14:09 – developing the ideas behind Backpacking Tithe
— Members Only Begins here —
- 00:26:31 – the psychology behind bailing on trips & risk management
- 00:37:23 – using bikes to begin backpacking trips
- 00:48:55 – Why do you write for BPL?
- 00:54:22 – What is something you would like to write about?; Podcast Wrap-up
- Check out the full catalog of articles from Mark Wetherington at his author page at Backpacking Light.
- Mark Wetherington’s Backpacking Tithe article (& its Follow-up)
- Rewards of Repetition
- Cutting it short in the Lost River Range
- Thinking Behind the Gate & How Biking to Trailheads can Enrich Backpacking
- Interview with Mike Mason about Bikepacking and Public lands
About the Backpacking Light Podcast
- Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Play | Stitcher | RSS
Feedback, Questions, Tips?
- Submit them via email or Twitter and get featured on our next podcast!
- Backpacking Light - Executive Producer
- Ryan Jordan - Director and Host
- Chase Jordan - Producer
- Look for Me in the Mountains - Music
- Written by: Chris Cunningham and Ryan Jordan
- Performed by: Chris Cunningham (acoustic guitar, lead and harmony vocals, harmonica), Chad Langford (upright bass), and Tom Murphy (mandolin).
- Produced by: Basecamp Studios in Bozeman, Montana
- This episode of the Backpacking Light Podcast is supported and kept advertising-free by Backpacking Light membership fees. Please consider becoming a member which helps support projects like this podcast, in addition to a whole slew of other benefits!
You can contact us at [email protected], or follow us on social media -
- Backpacking Light - Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Ryan Jordan - Instagram | Twitter | WWW
- Chase Jordan - WWW
- Some links on this page may be “affiliate” links. If you click on one of these links and visit one of our affiliate partners (usually a retailer site), and subsequently place an order with that retailer, we receive a small commission. These commissions help us provide authors with honoraria, fund our editorial projects, podcasts, instructional webinars, and more, and we appreciate it a lot! Thank you for supporting Backpacking Light!
Home › Forums › Episode 63 | BPL Author Spotlight: Staff Writer Mark Wetherington