If you haven't read Part 1 with all the background, do so first. In that part, I first discussed why I wanted to embark on another stove project, a Vortex Burner stove project. Then I looked at various early Vortex Burner stoves I made and discussed all the things which I thought were wrong with them. The analysis was fairly light at that stage. Most of what follows comes after I had made and sold my first version Winter Stove, and my skills and equipment were increasing.
Part 2 will cover some detailed research and development on the basic Vortex Burner chamber, which I saw as being the most crucial part of the project. The chamber turned out to have a few kinks along the way. I will cover other parts of the design in later parts of this series - with their kinks. I will not be covering the canister connector and the hose as they are exactly as described in the previous series on my first Ultra-light Winter Stove.
One thing I had better mention here before we get going: figuring out what I wanted to build was easy. Figuring out in general terms how I was going to build it was not too bad, but the devil was in the details. Making it manufacturable, rather than be just a one-off, was a key requirement and that was also "interesting."
Read on to hear the whole story!
- Vortex Burner Chamber Design
- The Burner Base Plate
- Splash Plate
- Air Inlets
- Preheat Tubes
- Overheating: the Big Hazard
- Summary So Far
# of Photos: 18; Word Count: 5600