- The Magic of Fire
- Our Relationship With Fire
- The Practical Benefits of Fire for the Lightweight Backpacker
- Fire Respect and Ethical Considerations
- The Limitations of Fire
- Three Wood Fire Cooking Methods
- Bringing Water to a Boil
- Suspension Methods: Spits and Chains
- The Immersion Method
- The Superheated Rock Method
- Summary of Woodfire Cooking Methods
- Table 1. Comparison of three methods of campfire cooking.
- Advantages of Wood Fire Cooking in the Backcountry
- Pack Weight Reduction
- Table 2. Comparison of cooking system weights on a two-week trek.
- Increased Simplicity and Independence
- Emotional and Social Benefits
- About the Author
# WORDS: 4850
# PHOTOS: 7
# TABLES: 2
A Premium or Unlimited Membership* is required to view the rest of this article.
* A Basic Membership is required to view Member Q&A events
Home › Forums › Backcountry Cookfires: Overview and Techniques for Cooking Over an Open Flame