Episode 72 | The Cottage Industry
In this episode we talk to Garage Grown Gear CEO and co-founder Lloyd Vogel where we’ll be diving into the outdoor gear cottage industry.
In this Episode:
- Winter is here in Colorado and Minnesota!
- Is the Outdoor Industry sustainable?
- What is Garage Grown Gear?
- How do you define a cottage industry brand, and how does it differ from bigger brands?
- Are Hyperlite Mountain Gear and ZPacks cottage brands?
- What about white-label branding of outdoor gear?
- Why does the world need an online marketplace like Garage Grown Gear?
- What’s different about the cottage industry today from 20 years ago?
- What have been your biggest challenges in operating Garage Grown Gear through the years?
- Our favorite gear (OK, let’s call it standout instead) at Garage Grown Gear!
- Learn more about the Superior Hiking Trail
- Amicalola Falls / Southern Terminus of the Appalachian Trail
- Our favorite gear of 2022
- Our skills nemeses: backcountry cooking & minimalist footwear
- RIP Food for the Sole
- Minimalist footwear
- Ultralight minimalism & decision reduction
- The problem with ultralight elitism
- Women’s Backpacking Online Course
- Backpacking Light Member’s Choice Awards
- Backpacking Light Staff Picks
- Backpacking Light Gear Shop
- Visit the Garage Grown Gear Website and Instagram Profile!
About the Backpacking Light Podcast
- Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Play | Stitcher | RSS
Feedback, Questions, Tips?
- Submit them via email or Twitter and get featured on our next podcast!
- Backpacking Light - Executive Producer
- Ryan Jordan - Director and Host
- Chase Jordan - Producer
- Look for Me in the Mountains - Music
- Written by: Chris Cunningham and Ryan Jordan
- Performed by: Chris Cunningham (acoustic guitar, lead and harmony vocals, harmonica), Chad Langford (upright bass), and Tom Murphy (mandolin).
- Produced by: Basecamp Studios in Bozeman, Montana
- This episode of the Backpacking Light Podcast is supported and kept advertising-free by Backpacking Light membership fees. Please consider becoming a member which helps support projects like this podcast, in addition to a whole slew of other benefits!
You can contact us at [email protected], or follow us on social media -
- Backpacking Light - Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Ryan Jordan - Instagram | Twitter | WWW
- Chase Jordan - WWW
- Some links on this page may be “affiliate” links. If you click on one of these links and visit one of our affiliate partners (usually a retailer site), and subsequently place an order with that retailer, we receive a small commission. These commissions help us provide authors with honoraria, fund our editorial projects, podcasts, instructional webinars, and more, and we appreciate it a lot! Thank you for supporting Backpacking Light!